Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:16 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaEve011 View Post
How big is your business? Why Mooresville? As I'm sure you know it's a suburb of Charlotte so why there instead of right in Charlotte or another suburb?
I was wondering that, myself. Ani & Rosie pretty much answered it though.

I'm guessing that the OP has also checked & will get grant money towards start up costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:21 AM

36 posts, read 83,165 times
Amanda: Mooresville because of the lake being right there for recreation and the mountains not to far off and, yes, Lowe's plays a part because they would be a competitor of one line of my business, so it is kind of like Walgreens and CVS being on the same corner every time, it creates a synergy of industry sector and a potential talent pool to draw on that understands the green building industry from the retailing standpoint. I would consider being near Lake Wylie and in SC if it meant there were more grants, incentives, tax breaks etc.. offered. The above comment about Lowe's also applies to Greenville, SC, as I could tap into the Home Depot folks based out of Atlanta 2.5 hours away in addition to the Lowe's people being 1.5 hours the other direction, so this would centralize the ability to pull talent for this one line of business that would be competitive with both them. Thanks for the response and I look forward to hearing more from everybody.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
Amanda: Mooresville because of the lake being right there for recreation and the mountains not to far off and, yes, Lowe's plays a part because they would be a competitor of one line of my business, so it is kind of like Walgreens and CVS being on the same corner every time, it creates a synergy of industry sector and a potential talent pool to draw on that understands the green building industry from the retailing standpoint. I would consider being near Lake Wylie and in SC if it meant there were more grants, incentives, tax breaks etc.. offered. The above comment about Lowe's also applies to Greenville, SC, as I could tap into the Home Depot folks based out of Atlanta 2.5 hours away in addition to the Lowe's people being 1.5 hours the other direction, so this would centralize the ability to pull talent for this one line of business that would be competitive with both them. Thanks for the response and I look forward to hearing more from everybody.
Would you be building or repurposing an existing building?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
I don't know anything about the OP's company (type, #f employees, how many of those employees will be making the move with you, expansion plans, how many locals do you plan to hire...), so I can't tell you why it would be a good place for your business. BUT, living here, I can tell the OP why Mooresville is a good choice for his employees.

LOCATION...

Mooresville is close enough to Charlotte to enjoy what it has to offer...restaurants, museums, entertainment venues for concerts & plays, sports (Bobcats-basketball, Panthers-football, AAA Baseball- Charlotte Knights, Hockey). Charlotte-Douglas is an international airport so you can fly to pretty much anywhere from there. Charlotte also has the Olympic White Water rafting center. If you're a NASCAR fan, this IS THE place to be, Mooresville is "Race City USA", close to Charlotte (Lowes) Motor Speedway.

If you want to go to the beach, we're about 4 hrs. from the coast. If you love the mountains, we're about 2 hrs. from them.

Shopping...pick a store, it's probably in Mooresville already. The intersection of I-77 & Rte 150 has tons of it. Super Walmart, Super Target, BJ's Wholesale, Staples, Best Buy, Old Navy, Michaels, TJ Maxx, Kohl's, Belk's, just to name a few. There's lots of theme restaurants & a multiplex theater too. We're close to several malls (Southpark, Northlake & Concord Springs)

Housing- pick a price range, we have it. We have lake front properties on the west side of town. If you like a more laid-back, quiet location, there's the east side (where I live). Look in the 28115 (east aide) & 28117 (west side-lake) zip codes to see what's available in both rentals & for sale.

Schools- there's 2 school districts. Iredell/Statesville & Mooresville Graded. I/S schools are good (Lake Norman HS). I don't know the particulars since my son is in the MGSD. The MGSD, I know for a fact that we are currently ranked 7th out of the 115 school districts in NC. (This year, we should reach 2nd or 3rd). Every student has a laptop. We have excellent teachers that are truly dedicated to their profession. Also, don't forget, NC has some of the best colleges in the US. In-state prices for, let's say Chapel Hill are about $14k a year.

I moved from NY to NC nearly 4 years ago. We LOVE it here, it has been the best move ever for our family.

GOOD LUCK!! I hope you do pick Mooresville to relocate your company to. Keep us posted if you do & let us, the forum know when you're hiring.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:46 AM

36 posts, read 83,165 times
Amanda-It will depend on what is available as an existing building. If we find an existing building that is already LEED certified or one that can be made LEED certified through our efforts that we can then turn into an example of our work, then we may go ahead and buy something existing and would consider building a new facility later on. One line of our work is new construction development management and another is Retrofit, Rehab, Redevelop,and Remodeling of buildings to meet LEED certification, so we could go either way.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
Amanda-It will depend on what is available as an existing building. If we find an existing building that is already LEED certified or one that can be made LEED certified through our efforts that we can then turn into an example of our work, then we may go ahead and buy something existing and would consider building a new facility later on. One line of our work is new construction development management and another is Retrofit, Rehab, Redevelop,and Remodeling of buildings to meet LEED certification, so we could go either way.
I didn't want to be rude & ask for details. Thanks for giving them, though. Is steel tubing something that you will be needing a source for? If so, my town just landed a deal with a Canadian company which will be going into an existing building here. I don't know when they'll be started up, but it would be relatively close, if it's something that you'll have a need for.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If it were me, the fact that Lowe's is there is one good reason. Plus, Mooresville is a very up-and-coming area. I think it is the "next big thing" in this region.
I'm curious for more details here, ani... We both know that Iredell doesn't consider themselves a Charlotte suburb, so there's not going to be much allegiance to the city.

Plus, the lake side of 77 is very limited by geography and there's not going to be any substantial development down the Brawley peninsula no matter how wide they make the road - I guess they could relieve more traffic with some type of bridge up North towards Statesville off the peninsula. Regardless, until something happens it's set for a while.

This leaves the East side of 77 or North up Perth towards Statesville (TONS of land up there for development)... Heading further West on 150 into the Lincolnton area would likely be too rural for much of the Mooresville crowd.

I'd put my bet on the East side and MGSD... personally. "Big thing" is subjective, but if I was looking to make a purchase up there, I'd be shopping the East side while the values in the Point and the Farms continue to get crushed.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm curious for more details here, ani... We both know that Iredell doesn't consider themselves a Charlotte suburb, so there's not going to be much allegiance to the city.

Plus, the lake side of 77 is very limited by geography and there's not going to be any substantial development down the Brawley peninsula no matter how wide they make the road - I guess they could relieve more traffic with some type of bridge up North towards Statesville off the peninsula. Regardless, until something happens it's set for a while.

This leaves the East side of 77 or North up Perth towards Statesville (TONS of land up there for development)... Heading further West on 150 into the Lincolnton area would likely be too rural for much of the Mooresville crowd.

I'd put my bet on the East side and MGSD... personally. "Big thing" is subjective, but if I was looking to make a purchase up there, I'd be shopping the East side while the values in the Point and the Farms continue to get crushed.
Regardless of allegiance to Charlotte, any company coming in is a good thing for all of us. The companies will draw from adjacent areas & therefore each time it happens it lessens competion somehere else. It's the domino theory, repurposed to jobs.

Mooresville really could be the next big thing. For that matter, any of the towns on 85 or 77 could be. Mooresville works for this poster because of proximity to Lowes.

I don't live in Mooresville, but I think that we should try to show him that he can source materials right here in the metro area.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Regardless of allegiance to Charlotte, any company coming in is a good thing for all of us. The companies will draw from adjacent areas & therefore each time it happens it lessens competion somehere else. It's the domino theory, repurposed to jobs.

Mooresville really could be the next big thing. For that matter, any of the towns on 85 or 77 could be. Mooresville works for this poster because of proximity to Lowes.

I don't live in Mooresville, but I think that we should try to show him that he can source materials right here in the metro area.
Well, in fairness, the OP seems more interested in personal leisure activity options above all... If purely from a "green" / "energy hub" standpoint, I believe I've read the ties in the area are to the University and Waxhaw.

40 miles north of Charlotte in Iredell / Lowes / NASCAR country doesn't necessarily add up to the best place for a business... But, living with great leisure options? Absolutely.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Well, in fairness, the OP seems more interested in personal leisure activity options above all... If purely from a "green" / "energy hub" standpoint, I believe I've read the ties in the area are to the University and Waxhaw.

40 miles north of Charlotte in Iredell / Lowes / NASCAR country doesn't necessarily add up to the best place for a business... But, living with great leisure options? Absolutely.
Well, lakes will do that. My town has landed several very good companies, recently. The fact that there is a less crowded lake here was a factor, as well as 74 & 85 both going through town. Of course, the fact that the city has discovered the wonderful world of grants hasn't hurt matters either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte