Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:56 AM

314 posts, read 486,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It bothers me a great deal that a high school can let a student matriculate with a 3rd grade reading and math level of comprehension. What ever happened to getting "left back"? Has that become "politically incorrect"?

But then again we might end up with a situation like this:

Q. Why was tha blonde the smartest girl in the 3rd grade?

A. Because she was 18!
It has become "politically incorrect", you are correct. God forbid you actually confront a difficult situation and have to tell somebody something that they don't want to hear. It's just like when I turn a regular TV station ( CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX ), and I hear language/cuss words that would never been put on TV in the 70's and 80's. It was taboo back then but now it is okay with society to have it on air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
The people only get a voice on election day. Typically, turnout for the city and county elections is pretty dismal so they do what they want as they know they won't be voted out because of it.

In this case the county is between a rock and a hard place. They can't print more money like the federal government yet they have a budget that isn't sustainable by the revenue coming in now. They made unrealistic predictions on increases in sales tax revenue and even more importantly the growth in real estate taxes that simply won't come true.

So now they have two choices. Cut programs or raise the property tax. This is the tip of the iceberg. Lots more of this to come.
Lumbollo is right. This is just the beginning both locally and nationally. Also, the State is broke. The party is over.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You kn ow what I think all the locals should boycott on going to the grand opening day
of the hall of fame Im kinda serious on this Lemonade Party we all could demonstrate
wearing yellow shirts
but I believe you have to have a permit has that road side business taken effect if not
then we can have oodles of lemonade stands giving our money raised to a charity
Sunny, speaking of the devil. You going to get your ticket?

"NASCAR Hall of Fame racing toward debut"

NASCAR Hall of Fame racing toward debut - Charlotte Business Journal:

Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwl1011 View Post
I am a raging liberal but I agree 100%. The amount of spending on at risk programs is insane, up to 3x's per student. But they are faling. I am certainly not opposed to at risk students getting more, but it should work.

Charter schools are working the great majority operating with a lower cost. KIPP with a 70% reduced/free lunch population as good results. Also, Suger Creek is making strides.
CMS is too big to function. Legally, it can not be divided into several districts. The lawsuits and logistics would cost more than any savings. However, if they break off certain schools and run them like charters, I am convinced it will work. Give the power directly to a local, elected board, specific to that school, that is able to make decisions on the micro level. Let energized principals "own" their schools. On the whole the charters in the CMS area are out performing traditional public schools.

In additon, all the studies show that you need to put the best teachers in the worst schools. This is not happening.
Thank you so much for understanding that I am not opposed to creating effective programs to help at risk kids. I was so afraid it would be read that I am somehow opposed to creating special programs (after school tutoring, for example) that help kids who need assistance w/ "mainstreaming" so they can succeed with their studies and social skills.

There is a program in Kannapolis - the Academic Learning Center - which is a grassroots movement that began as a way to provide a safe haven and a place to study after school, in disadvantaged neighborhoods. Now, THAT program has been amazingly successful! And I maintain it is successful b/c the folks in the community WANTED IT and DESIGNED IT and COMMITTED TO IT.

There are methodologies, but they don't necessarily have to include millions of dollars to establish and perpetuate.

I feel it is sheer madness to continue "throwing money" at programs that are not succeeding.

Time we took a hard look at how much money is being spent on such things as training kids to READ after they have turned 18 . . . and started spending the money in helping them in the third grade. And cut out the duplication of services! Kids who drop out of school can get their GED - we don't need to have all these different programs to accomplish the same thing. We are spending millions on different programs when they should all be streamlined and cut the costs.

If you look at the budget, it is simply shocking to see how much goes to the school system here - and yet we do not have a premium system!

When the budget issue we should be discussing is schools and spending to create successful students who become functioning members of society - and we choose to close libraries - the one place that everyone in the community can go - and a place that COULD BE a safe haven and study opportunity for at risk kids . . . I gotta tell ya - this seems wacked out.

We are spending $18Million to create a literacy center at WPCC . . . b/c we have so many folks who are evidently incapable of reading and writing . . . and then we close the repositories for the books for folks with or without money to read . . . I mean . . . does no one else see the total absurdity of this?

We have to spend $18 million to get folks "up to speed" cause they are illiterate, so we keep that in the budget and then close the libraries.

No one else seeing something really screwed up at the county level if this is how the budget folks think you should be handling the fact that we have so many dropouts and slacker students and passed along students that we have to have a LITERACY CENTER at the cost of $18 M and yet won't insist kids can read at the third grade . . . and we close libraries?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoorecharlotte View Post
Lumbollo is right. This is just the beginning both locally and nationally. Also, the State is broke. The party is over.
But the party is NOT over! The entitlements and politically correct programs are STILL being funded! That is the whole point . . . we should be cutting out stuff that isn't working - but that is NOT what is happening.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
But the party is NOT over! The entitlements and politically correct programs are STILL being funded! That is the whole point . . . we should be cutting out stuff that isn't working - but that is NOT what is happening.
I met the party is over for us the taxpayers.
We will either cut some programs making government smaller or we will be forced to raise taxes to maintain our current programs and make government bigger. Our taxes are going to go up with the way our government is spending money.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 AM

I have heard that a "land tax" will be looked into by the county to try and raise revenue.

Here’s how a land tax would work from my understanding. The tax rate on land would be steadily be raised relative to the tax on structures. Land in the city center, where businesses, public amenities and other assets are clustered, would pay higher rates than land in neighborhoods without those advantages.
The main point is that a land tax would spur investment. Unlike people and capital, land can’t flee. Owners of empty lots or lots with dilapidated buildings would find that it’s suddenly expensive to leave their land vacant or unimproved. The tax would pressure owners to develop their land to realize its full economic potential.

Seems crazy to me. Am I looking at this wrong? Lum, have you heard about this?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:14 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
In regards to entitlements, the county and city just handed out over $60M (or $84M depending on how it is counted) in social welfare to Siemens under the misguided attempt to have jobs placed here. It's corporation extortion of the taxpayers and nothing else. This works out to around $100K/job. Siemens I will point out, is also a foreign company. Bring this up and the common response is that "oh but it is good for the economy". Yeah right. How many times have we heard this now.

But the party is over. The stuff you mention is still going on because they have not yet been forced to deal with further cuts. Property is dropping in value like a slug of lead thrown in the ocean and when it's said and done, they are going to have to do a huge amount of cutting. There is no wealth creation in the USA now. There is just consumption and services. Despite the happy faces on TV telling us the recovery is here and now (or just next week) things will continue to get worse until they decide to re-industrialize America, throw up trade barriers, and force some responsible behavior on people in terms of spending.

This kind of change isn't about to happen any time soon because there is an entire adult generation now that has not known anything else. They don't yet understand it and demand it. The closing of the library and cutting at CMS are the first signs that the rubber is starting to hit the road with this reality.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
[URL="http://www.wcnc.com/video/featured-videos/County-departments-prepare-for-layoffs-closures-88269177.html"]County departments prepare for layoffs, closures | NewsChannel 36 | Charlotte Videos, Breaking News | WCNC.com | News for Charlotte, North Carolina[/URL]

How do you think the county should cut the budget

Do you approve of the tactics mention ithe above video?

Im going to start if we cut Peter Goreman salary and other
pencil pushing administrative we could save lots of money
Our couty manager thinks getting a pay cut was bad he should get in the unemployment line!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoorecharlotte View Post
I met the party is over for us the taxpayers.
We will either cut some programs making government smaller or we will be forced to raise taxes to maintain our current programs and make government bigger. Our taxes are going to go up with the way our government is spending money.
Impossible to pay more taxes when your in an unemployment line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte