Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,931,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Oh...and there are MANY top rated schools? Many? Really...?

Compared to the North its not worth trying to compare. From what I have heard if you want a top school prepare to shell out the money you saved on taxes...

Actually jp, Charlotte has some of the best public schools in the state.

Some are even ranked nationally.

Of course, since we are also the largest city in the state and have the highest degree of social ills, we also have some failing schools. Even so, many of our schools are doing a very good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,376,614 times
"From what I have heard if you want a top school prepare to shell out the money you saved on taxes..."

If the money you saved on taxes is enough to pay for private school in Charlotte, than you make enough for private schools in Charlotte!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:57 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,052,959 times
Quote:
Oh...and there are MANY top rated schools? Many? Really...?

Compared to the North its not worth trying to compare. From what I have heard if you want a top school prepare to shell out the money you saved on taxes...
Yes - sorry if you "heard" different... opinions are like <stuff> everyone has one.

BTW - where are these vaunted schools in the "North"?

What's really funny about these attitudes is that NC has some of the better universities in the nation (to which nobody will really argue). Yet, they're "too dumb" to educate Elem / Middle / and HS kids.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,210,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yes - sorry if you "heard" different... opinions are like <stuff> everyone has one.

BTW - where are these vaunted schools in the "North"?

What's really funny about these attitudes is that NC has some of the better universities in the nation (to which nobody will really argue). Yet, they're "too dumb" to educate Elem / Middle / and HS kids.
Heh..if you want to compare the schools in N.C. to Connecticut...you go right ahead. University-wise N.C. is right near the top.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually jp, Charlotte has some of the best public schools in the state.

Some are even ranked nationally.

Of course, since we are also the largest city in the state and have the highest degree of social ills, we also have some failing schools. Even so, many of our schools are doing a very good job.
I don't consider the schools here poor. They are average which does not compare to most schools in CT....Of course there are high rated schools here, but overall it does not compare. Honestly it shouldn't given the tax difference. The Northeast has more funds to offer better educations. Truthfully, kids get out of school what they put into it and as long as they are not being taught terribly, they will succeed if an effort is made.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:47 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,052,959 times
Quote:
I don't consider the schools here poor. They are average which does not compare to most schools in CT....Of course there are high rated schools here, but overall it does not compare. Honestly it shouldn't given the tax difference. The Northeast has more funds to offer better educations. Truthfully, kids get out of school what they put into it and as long as they are not being taught terribly, they will succeed if an effort is made.
It's not the tax difference getting "better" education... you're being taxed to support the insane salary / benefits / pensions that are (or were once) commonplace up there. Paying 12k+ in taxes does not equate to getting better teachers, you're just trying to make up for all those retired teachers to keep their lifetime benefits and poorly performing pension funds. 400k+ annual salary for a superintendent of a district?!

I think you missed the point entirely of my previous post. You can be snide and giggle, but the truth is you are not getting value for the education in most towns up "North". Ratings are entirely subjective even beyond that.

I won't argue that certain areas in the North offer top notch public education (even top in the nation), but we're talking some of the most elite of areas... However, your "average" performing school there is equaled (or bettered) by a top performing school in NC. This is the research and investigation that everyone should be doing prior to a relocation.

You can't throw a dart at any town in the North and magically get the best public education... taxes cannot be your indicator.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's not the tax difference getting "better" education... you're being taxed to support the insane salary / benefits / pensions that are (or were once) commonplace up there. Paying 12k+ in taxes does not equate to getting better teachers, you're just trying to make up for all those retired teachers to keep their lifetime benefits and poorly performing pension funds. 400k+ annual salary for a superintendent of a district?!

I think you missed the point entirely of my previous post. You can be snide and giggle, but the truth is you are not getting value for the education in most towns up "North". Ratings are entirely subjective even beyond that.

I won't argue that certain areas in the North offer top notch public education (even top in the nation), but we're talking some of the most elite of areas... However, your "average" performing school there is equaled (or bettered) by a top performing school in NC. This is the research and investigation that everyone should be doing prior to a relocation.

You can't throw a dart at any town in the North and magically get the best public education... taxes cannot be your indicator.

I'll take an "average "city in CT and its better than the average here..the numbers prove it man..I'm not making this stuff up.

As for where the taxpayer money goes...I agree with you /....

Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,514,668 times
Quote:
I'll take an "average "city in CT and its better than the average here..the numbers prove it man..I'm not making this stuff up.

As for where the taxpayer money goes...I agree with you /....
Is Hartford or New Haven an example of an "average city"? I suspect test scores in places like that might not even be be as high as Charlotte's. But Greenwich wouldn't be "that average", I suppose either!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Is Hartford or New Haven an example of an "average city"? I suspect test scores in places like that might not even be be as high as Charlotte's. But Greenwich wouldn't be "that average", I suppose either!
Great..you picked the 2 poorest cities in the state besides Bridgeport...try again

I cannot believe you are trying to argue that N.C. has schools as highly rated as CT...do i have to go dig out some national ratings now?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,216,403 times
I hear those new england schools are great. Only bummer part is you have to live in New England.

Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte