Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 AM

19 posts, read 25,898 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone. My family and I are seriously considering moving to Charlotte and I'm looking for information regarding good schools and locations. We are relocating from New Hampshire so that makes it hard to physically check out areas for ourselves so I hope that you all can help me. We have 6 children, ages ranging from 7 to 13. Our first priority is basically moving there and not having to move again. We want to avoid yanking the kids in and out of schools.
Right now we are looking for a rental, my husband works remotely so that helps in not restricting us to any one location. We comfortably top out at about 1600.00 a month towards rent... so if anyone has info about rental houses that would be awesome also!

Thanks in advance for your time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,052,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mof6 View Post
Hi there everyone. My family and I are seriously considering moving to Charlotte and I'm looking for information regarding good schools and locations. We are relocating from New Hampshire so that makes it hard to physically check out areas for ourselves so I hope that you all can help me. We have 6 children, ages ranging from 7 to 13. Our first priority is basically moving there and not having to move again. We want to avoid yanking the kids in and out of schools.
Right now we are looking for a rental, my husband works remotely so that helps in not restricting us to any one location. We comfortably top out at about 1600.00 a month towards rent... so if anyone has info about rental houses that would be awesome also!

With schools as your highest priority look to live in south Charlotte or western Union County. You should be able to find a home to rent in that price range in good areas. Check out rental companies like Meca or TR Lawing to get started.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,239,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mof6 View Post

Make sure you want to move and for the right reasons...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 PM

66 posts, read 115,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Make sure you want to move and for the right reasons...
I agree. The weather and the prices are great, but if it is for the children, there are pros and cons. Please do your research, especially with the schools. Its a huge change from the north to the south. Some people love it, some hate it. Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Costarella View Post
I agree. The weather and the prices are great, but if it is for the children, there are pros and cons. Please do your research, especially with the schools. Its a huge change from the north to the south. Some people love it, some hate it. Best of luck!
Exactly...the dollar signs of cheaper housing can sometimes blind one of other items that are just as important.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:20 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,381,377 times
It's a huge change but since so many people are doing it, you don't have to feel like a pioneer. The suggestion for South Charlotte and western Union is a good one. If you find a few houses that look good and want to post where they are, we can give opinions regarding schools but it's pretty easy to do the homework yourself.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:38 PM

57 posts, read 159,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly...the dollar signs of cheaper housing can sometimes blind one of other items that are just as important.
Would you like to elaborate on this comment? I've seen that there seems to be lacking in some of the school systems. However in some of the comparisons I've done some of the school systems are on national average. Any other things that should be considered before moving south?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougal View Post
Would you like to elaborate on this comment? I've seen that there seems to be lacking in some of the school systems. However in some of the comparisons I've done some of the school systems are on national average. Any other things that should be considered before moving south?
Well ...moved here in 06 .. don't hate it, but will be moving back at some point.

All I can say is people move here because they see a 200,000 home that would cost 500,000 in the Northeast. They see taxes cut in half (property taxes that is ).

They forget that other factors are involved.

Weather - in a word YUCH....too damn hot for too long..and there is still winter. I miss the 4 seasons of the Northeast. Plus you will be frustrated by the lack of ability to handle ANY snow at all.

The people are nice ..you run into jerks everywhere and nice people everywhere...not much difference on that side.

Traffic is about the same...sucky drivers everywhere as they are in the north too.

Jobs.... a mess here...if you don't have one or lose one....I don't want to think about it.

Schools are inferior to the northeast. Be VERY selective about where you send your kid here...no way they get the same education as up north. Thats part of where your taxes go.

Higher income tax here, but don't let anyone tell you its not cheaper here it IS ....and its not close as long as you are emplyed with a decent paying job.

If you are leaving a place with a lot of friends and family don't dismiss the fact you'll miss them...YOU WILL.

All in all, its been a good experience here.. but its not home..sorry to the natives here, there is nothing like the North. I moved because I wanted to buy a nice house and I accomplished that. Everything else is a miss.

You really can't win..the north is too expensive and the south is ...well, not the north.

Now before I get beat up by the forum protectors I will say that the north is no utopia either..You can't win...pick the place that most suits your needs. Make a list...weigh it..don't just move for the cheaper housing or the weather (certainly not for the weather)

I know moving back north will kick me where it hurts (in the wallet) ... Never should have bought a house (the thought of trying to sell it pains me) and I reccommend to ANYONE who moves to rent for a year. Make certain you like it first.

Hope that helps....this is just my opinion on all points..some LOVE it here who have moved..

Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM

11 posts, read 28,866 times
I pretty much agree with jp03. If you are adaptable and can accept your children learning the way of the south, then you should be fine. I personally am on the fence with the kids picking up a southern accent when majority of the fam has a heavy NY accent, and I do feel the school in the north are superior and stats will show that; however, even the state with the "best schools" still have crappy areas with crappy schools. As jp03 said, you pay more taxes to pay for better schooling, in general. I have been here 4 years and have made great, great friends and have done so many fun things here, but the culture is totally different. Also be prepared to be called a "yankee" many times over again.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadrtwins View Post
I pretty much agree with jp03. If you are adaptable and can accept your children learning the way of the south, then you should be fine. I personally am on the fence with the kids picking up a southern accent when majority of the fam has a heavy NY accent, and I do feel the school in the north are superior and stats will show that; however, even the state with the "best schools" still have crappy areas with crappy schools. As jp03 said, you pay more taxes to pay for better schooling, in general. I have been here 4 years and have made great, great friends and have done so many fun things here, but the culture is totally different. Also be prepared to be called a "yankee" many times over again.

I can say I've never been called Yankee...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte