Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:59 AM

85 posts, read 238,148 times

Advertisements

Read between the lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,697 times
Well you keep on loving living there and we'll keep on keeping away. How's that?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM

85 posts, read 238,148 times
why oook

Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,107 times
Default From the South to the North

Im from Atlanta and Really,Really thinking about moving the Gurnee,Il. Im relocating for employment reasons. Everyone is moving to Atlanta and I see the jobs in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin are very heavy in the medical field. Im a Ultrasound Sonographer and Im looking for work in Gurnee and I want to know is it a good place to also raise a family.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Sonography is probably NOT something that makes sense to relocate for. Especially in an area like Lake Co IL where there are tens of thousands of people with relatives working in hospitals and healthcare related companies, sonographers probably make LESS than the national average for an area this size. The relative ease of getting training means that many people are qualified...

I would look for a state that is underserved.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,107 times
In my eyes its not a bad move espicially when the Hourly wages is from 28-35/hr. And looking on how long the jobs are beening posted(30 days+) I think its a great idea.And the national average is around the same pay.Just the cost of living is different everywhere.Living in the outskirts of Chicago and Living in the outskirts of atlanta, it would work in my favor because atlanta does not pay as much and the cost of living can be very high here,espically for the south.Grayslake and Gurnee sounds like a perfect fit for me.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,467,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
I think overall Waukegan is a good investment.
Its greatest asset is the Harbor.
The Downtown and Lakefront of Waukegan has had some
improvements of late. The New revamped Gennessee theatre (spelling)
that Tall building downtown that was condoized.
It is the County Seat of Lake County.
It has Madison Ave steakhouse with a cool view of the Lake.
It does have a nice area with nice homes on Sheridan.

It does need more reinvestment. And I have seen some houses
being fixed up near downtown. Which I think is the best area
to buy in for investing in the future.

Sure it has plenty of rough patches, but I have always
found Waukegan to be a very interesting nice place to hangout.
Nice Beach too which you can get into occasionally
without paying for it! Like late in the season or like April.
Okay I know I'm late to this party, but any town with THREE EPA SUPERFUND SITES is not a "good investment." I wouldn't touch that harbor with a ten mile pole.

Waukegan has a beautiful location. Some beautiful architecture. It could be a great town. But it's sitting on a mountain of toxic waste. That's why the big money isn't going there. Come on-- the entire country just went through a ten year building craze where even the near south side of Chicago "boomed." And yet Waukegan didn't blossom. Asbestos, PCB's and VOC's are the reason. Who in their right mind would build a high rise condo on that foundation.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times
I grew up in Waukegan since it was so close to my Dad's work. Talking 50's to early 70's. BTW my parents grew up in Lake Forest. There used to be a fair number of professionals in Wgn. My mom still has a house there and neither of us ever had any problem with crime there. While not the best investment and schools not good unless you go Catholic, it really is safer compared to national figures if you research. Just avoid bad areas as with any city. The home prices are a steal, 50K for a 4 bedroom, classic white frame with picket fence. Obviously not new. If you like spending time in your back yard and are middle aged or older it seems fine. No, not beautiful, many variable pockets yet I think some of the homes are lovely. For the elderly on a budget, gratis snow removal, mowing and no membership fee to join the senior center. Ha. I do admit if I ever used poor English (rarely) my Dad would say I sound like I'm from Waukegan. I told him I am from Waukegan. Actually family attended U of C, Lake Forest College and Bosten U, well educated and DAR stock. The Mexican-Americans next door frankly keep their yard more sculpted and perfect than we do. Back to Little Fort Apts, very old question, some residents are just disabled on SSD, a few are young educated people trying to save a buck for a couple of years. The rest...not so good. Don't rent there. Downtown is said to be safer since a welfare/other social service office moved to North Chicago. For me a relaxing place to visit but as a home body. Not what it used to be which was the just ok.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
Good, keep the divide going with comments like that. THIS is why one gulf will turn against another. Who quoted: " Let them eat cake." ? And what happened to her when she said that? She literally lost her head. (For those not in the "know" , Wiki search "Marie Antoinette" and for the rest; you are witnessing modern civilization foolish repeat history before our very eyes....so for the others, keep on jabbing the poker against those who work for their income versus those who pilfer and steal (the wealthy who complain that they are the only tax payers worthy of living above the others who are truly working (believe me, they are not happily desiring to work FOR anyone at this rate).

Flippant "economic" pride comments like these (joking or not) afflicted w/ neurotic greediness will truly come to be bitten a big one into the arse of the anti-sociopathy of the wealthy who live here and refuse to pay the taxes that the law requires , aren't paying close to the middle class (and other classes) in as far as taxes, but all the same, those who are underemployed OR are working for some over zealous, fairy tale creek and believes that their "own" are becoming "extinct" are in for some very rude awakenings and not necessarily from the "under class" to which they are so paranoid towards. While we're at it here, we had better be careful about implying that this country is any where close to "Third World" (as this is an insult against those who truly live in countries who can't even afford to collect water, except, for every other day of the week). America will KNOW when it becomes a "third world" country when we stop being able to lease 2013 Chevy Jeeps w/ out a dime or name worth our credit.

The day that America becomes "third world" will be the day where all of the water is shut off all over the country.

This country is only in the economic trouble that those who are in the 6% wealthier eschelon have placed us in. It is no one's fault but our own. We ballooned the housing market and made it impossible for Americans to even afford a home.

The only reason that the streets are broken and cracked is due to your States' representative and your aldermens who are either ignoring the issue or are being hog tied against improving your neighborhoods.

This problem is all across the board and has nothing to do with minorities or other foolish finger pointing. It all has to do with how ignorant we will continue to be not see what is truly happening right before us.

It isn't about THIS president, it isn't Mexicans or immigrants, it is about dishonoring the true stats and the monies which are being siphoned from the people and who has THAT power? It is about keeping people dumb and divided, and the number one biggie is MASS GREED. Greed has no color or religion. Complaining and comparing neighborhoods will not change it. The every day man and woman has got to care and come together and DO something. Big or small.

DO something yourselves and forget about the BS you are fed. Men should come together (regardless of race) and fix your own streets, patrol your community, watch out for one another. All that I read on city-data is the same inane questions. " Which is the safest place to live?" NO WHERE is safe!

YOU make it safe by using your head and growing up. Sure there are places that offer more security or awareness of peace than others, this is true. But the lot of us have got to get the head out of the butt and wake up and see things for what they are. stereotypes is what gets people into trouble.

Stop leaving your garage doors open to invite home invasion. Report people (again, regardless of color) who meander along your neighborhood causing trouble.

Every race is responsible for how we live. If anything, it is the upper class areas who are not very swift on crime and if anything, your crime problems stem from those that you know.

Stop stereotyping and thinking that everyone is a "pilar" of the community. The 'piller" or the community is often times the thief or the rapist who gets away with everything BECAUSE they have money or BECAUSE they "appear" a certain way.

Racism has only kept every race down. The countries who prosper are the countries who are not obsessed with race and believe every thing that FOX and CNN tells them. SO get up and fix your own streets and stop beung jerks . Help one another and stop being a pain!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,954 times
What in the world does all this have to do with the "pros & cons of living in Waukegan, Lake Bluff, and Gurnee" & are you aware that this thread is from close to a couple years ago? LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnRight54 View Post
Good, keep the divide going with comments like that. THIS is why one gulf will turn against another. Who quoted: " Let them eat cake." ? And what happened to her when she said that? She literally lost her head. (For those not in the "know" , Wiki search "Marie Antoinette" and for the rest; you are witnessing modern civilization foolish repeat history before our very eyes....so for the others, keep on jabbing the poker against those who work for their income versus those who pilfer and steal (the wealthy who complain that they are the only tax payers worthy of living above the others who are truly working (believe me, they are not happily desiring to work FOR anyone at this rate).

Flippant "economic" pride comments like these (joking or not) afflicted w/ neurotic greediness will truly come to be bitten a big one into the arse of the anti-sociopathy of the wealthy who live here and refuse to pay the taxes that the law requires , aren't paying close to the middle class (and other classes) in as far as taxes, but all the same, those who are underemployed OR are working for some over zealous, fairy tale creek and believes that their "own" are becoming "extinct" are in for some very rude awakenings and not necessarily from the "under class" to which they are so paranoid towards. While we're at it here, we had better be careful about implying that this country is any where close to "Third World" (as this is an insult against those who truly live in countries who can't even afford to collect water, except, for every other day of the week). America will KNOW when it becomes a "third world" country when we stop being able to lease 2013 Chevy Jeeps w/ out a dime or name worth our credit.

The day that America becomes "third world" will be the day where all of the water is shut off all over the country.

This country is only in the economic trouble that those who are in the 6% wealthier eschelon have placed us in. It is no one's fault but our own. We ballooned the housing market and made it impossible for Americans to even afford a home.

The only reason that the streets are broken and cracked is due to your States' representative and your aldermens who are either ignoring the issue or are being hog tied against improving your neighborhoods.

This problem is all across the board and has nothing to do with minorities or other foolish finger pointing. It all has to do with how ignorant we will continue to be not see what is truly happening right before us.

It isn't about THIS president, it isn't Mexicans or immigrants, it is about dishonoring the true stats and the monies which are being siphoned from the people and who has THAT power? It is about keeping people dumb and divided, and the number one biggie is MASS GREED. Greed has no color or religion. Complaining and comparing neighborhoods will not change it. The every day man and woman has got to care and come together and DO something. Big or small.

DO something yourselves and forget about the BS you are fed. Men should come together (regardless of race) and fix your own streets, patrol your community, watch out for one another. All that I read on city-data is the same inane questions. " Which is the safest place to live?" NO WHERE is safe!

YOU make it safe by using your head and growing up. Sure there are places that offer more security or awareness of peace than others, this is true. But the lot of us have got to get the head out of the butt and wake up and see things for what they are. stereotypes is what gets people into trouble.

Stop leaving your garage doors open to invite home invasion. Report people (again, regardless of color) who meander along your neighborhood causing trouble.

Every race is responsible for how we live. If anything, it is the upper class areas who are not very swift on crime and if anything, your crime problems stem from those that you know.

Stop stereotyping and thinking that everyone is a "pilar" of the community. The 'piller" or the community is often times the thief or the rapist who gets away with everything BECAUSE they have money or BECAUSE they "appear" a certain way.

Racism has only kept every race down. The countries who prosper are the countries who are not obsessed with race and believe every thing that FOX and CNN tells them. SO get up and fix your own streets and stop beung jerks . Help one another and stop being a pain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs