Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM

829 posts, read 2,089,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I've been to the Panera Bread a few times a bit ago and had the Chipotle there for the first time last week and while my experience at the Chipotle there was not bad, the main reason I won't be going there again is because there is nothing else there to keep me in the area. Hence another reason why many people in that area would rather go to Tinley or Orland.

I mean seriously isn't there a panera bread and chipotle out closer to your house. Don't you still live in northwest indiana? Or are you just checking things out in other suburban areas? I can tell you there isn't much going on in the way of fun and excitement. But then again nothing going on in tinley or orland either. I see a lot of people from tinley and orland hanging out in homewood these days. They all say it's pretty boring out there to. My suggestion to you would be to get the heck out of the suburbs if you are still young and single. Especially if you don't either own a home or work out in the suburbs. Travel abroad or move to the city. Experience life. The far southern suburbs is a nice enough area. Great area to buy a nice house, safe, suburban living, diverse crowd, close to the city, etc. A lot of pluses living in this area area. But certainly not where I would encourage anyone to move to if they are not familiar with some close friends or relatives out here. Or already have a family of there own.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-17-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:42 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I mean seriously isn't there a panera bread and chipotle out closer to your house. Don't you still live in northwest indiana? Or are you just checking things out in other suburban areas? I can tell you there isn't much going on in the way of fun and excitement. But then again nothing going on in tinley or orland either. I see a lot of people from tinley and orland hanging out in homewood these days. They all say it's pretty boring out there to. My suggestion to you would be to get the heck out of the suburbs if you are still young and single. Especially if you don't either own a home or work out in the suburbs. Travel abroad or move to the city. Experience life. The far southern suburbs is a nice enough area. Great area to buy a nice house, safe, suburban living, diverse crowd, close to the city, etc. Lot of pluses living in this area area. But certainly not where I would encourage anyone to move to if they are not familiar with some close friends or relatives out here. Or already have a family of there own.
yes, there are 3 Panera's in Indiana (Munster, Schererville, and Merrillville) as well as the Chipotle in Merrillville that are closer to me. However, as I have stated before, I do have family and friends in the south/southwest suburbs so I am there every now and then. I usually go to Orland to shop as it is only about a 10 minute farther drive in the opposite direction than going to Southlake and has a much better selection of food and shopping. When I speak of "things keeping me" I really was speaking in terms of eating, then shopping. If I wanted Chipotle, I would go to the one in Tinley or Orland where I am closer to much better shopping so that I would not have to travel further to do one or the other.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:08 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,070,279 times
Quote:
I mean seriously isn't there a panera bread and chipotle out closer to your house. Don't you still live in northwest indiana? Or are you just checking things out in other suburban areas? I can tell you there isn't much going on in the way of fun and excitement. But then again nothing going on in tinley or orland either. I see a lot of people from tinley and orland hanging out in homewood these days. They all say it's pretty boring out there to. My suggestion to you would be to get the heck out of the suburbs if you are still young and single. Especially if you don't either own a home or work out in the suburbs. Travel abroad or move to the city. Experience life. The far southern suburbs is a nice enough area. Great area to buy a nice house, safe, suburban living, diverse crowd, close to the city, etc. A lot of pluses living in this area area. But certainly not where I would encourage anyone to move to if they are not familiar with some close friends or relatives out here. Or already have a family of there own.
Allen, I don't know how you can live here and be oblivious to this. But there are a number of households in the far south suburbs that are three generations under one roof. They don't "move to the far south suburbs". They already live here and raise their kid. This is common. I know how much you like to site those median household income statistics but this is still the reality. A lot of people are broke down here. Kids go to Rich Central High School in Olympia Fields and they think they're from the hood. And they carry this attitude into adulthood.

But anyway, that's neither here nor there. We were discussing the retail environment in the southland..

Last edited by urza216; 05-18-2012 at 12:48 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 AM

829 posts, read 2,089,256 times
Well there obviously are now three more nice restaurants to go to in matteson. I don't see how that can't be seen as anything but a net positive. Of course hopefully they will get more. Not sure what will be enough for some people but I guess more is always better. The far southern suburbs has one of the largest concentrations of middle class blacks in the country. And some of the nicest neighborhoods in the chicagoland area are located in the southern suburbs. Flossmoor, olympia fields, homewood, matteson, crete, etc compare very favorably to most chicagoland area suburbs. There are good and bad neighborhoods practically anywhere you go to. I have no idea why there is so much contempt shown for middle class predominantly black neighborhoods. I have plenty of relatives including my father who grew up in the projects in inner city chicago.

Last edited by allen2323; 05-18-2012 at 04:06 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Well there obviously are now three more nice restaurants to go to in matteson. I don't see how that can't be seen as anything but a net positive. Of course hopefully they will get more. Not sure what will be enough for some people but I guess more is always better.The far southern suburbs has one of the largest concentrations of middle class blacks in the country. And some of the nicest neighborhoods in the chicagoland area are located in the southern suburbs. Flossmoor, olympia fields, homewood, matteson, crete, etc compare very favorably to most chicagoland area suburbs. There are good and bad neighborhoods practically anywhere you go to. I have no idea why there is so much contempt shown for middle class predominantly black neighborhoods. I have plenty of relatives including my father who grew up in the projects in inner city chicago.
This post is true! Except I think PG County outside of DC has the highest concentration of middle class blacks in the country. The south suburbs of Chicago are definitely worth mentioning for this reason but I think that title goes to PG county..

And anyway, my last post was NOT just talking about black people in the south suburbs.. It's pretty relevant to the whites and Hispanics who live here too.

Allen, you're a good poster and i think I completely agree with your overall message. This is why some of the details in what you say bugs me.

Last edited by urza216; 05-18-2012 at 07:17 AM..

Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 AM

Northwest Indiana,

Exellent pizza slices at Nino's.
Hibachi's is an Asian buffet that is worth checking out.
The best Harold's Chicken location is in Matteson.
The Bar Louie has some delicious food.
Big Boys in nearby Chicago heights (I am forewarning you about some of the late night crowd there though)
Perros brothers in Olympia Fields
Burrito Station in the Heights

Many of the usual chains you can choose from are also in Matteson like Applebee's, Olive Garden and such..

Last edited by urza216; 05-18-2012 at 07:43 AM..

Old 05-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Allen, I have a quandary for you. Other than Lake Michagan and easy acess to other parts of the city, what is on the south side of Chicago that makes it so much more exciting than the south suburbs? Parks? The museum of science and industry? Ok, that's all I'm gonna give you. You answer now.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:23 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
So I was traveling on Cicero by Lincoln Mall today and saw a big yellow store closing for Sears.
Not sure if this was discussed but found that interesting...

Called the sears store on my cell verified and the person informed the auto center was staying open...

Next will be carsons and then you may as well really say the kiss of death has made out with Lincoln Mall.

Stick a fork in that place..
Really might as well tear the place down and start from scratch with a vacant lot.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
So I was traveling on Cicero by Lincoln Mall today and saw a big yellow store closing for Sears.
Not sure if this was discussed but found that interesting...

Called the sears store on my cell verified and the person informed the auto center was staying open...

Next will be carsons and then you may as well really say the kiss of death has made out with Lincoln Mall.

Stick a fork in that place..
Really might as well tear the place down and start from scratch with a vacant lot.
It's more the mall itself. The anchor stores are supported. Sears as a company is hurting for profits. They chose to close the Matteson location.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:43 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,104,516 times
Correct me if I am wrong but if Sears leaves it leaves one anchor.
and the sinking titanic is leaning on its side!

Even if you do not shop at Sears it is still the name recognition that pulls others to the other stores at the Lincoln Mall.

It is not going to look favorable if you have one end that is a left over construction zone and the other end as vacant...
and then across the parking lot is the shell of what used to be Best Buy.

I am sure it will be challenging at best to find a replacement for Sears.
If not impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs