Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 07:43 AM

947 posts, read 2,422,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenanov View Post
How is summit-argo? I'm looking for a rent there.
I know its neighbour bedford park is pretty good though.
Bedford Park is pretty industrial. There are better choices around the Summit/Argo area than those two places. I think there is a lot of gang activity there.
Justice, Hickory Hills, Bridgeview come to mind as possible choices.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opkl View Post
It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. I for one think CCH is nice black middle class suburb just like Matteson. Never stop defending something you love just because a few say its ghetto. You live there, and from reading your posts you enjoy the town. You'll know more about CCH than anyone else on this site would. As long as you feel safe and your happy, stay at your townhome in the Hillz.

-from another south suburban resident
I'm not quite sure I agree with you on CCH. Yes, it used to be a gentrified black suburbs. I have taught at the school district and in city schools as well. CCH has some of the worst students that I have came across, yeah, chicago students may be rough, but I swear the kids from the CCH school district must have just relocated from the worst parts of Chicago.

We all know that CCH is losing a terrible battle...don't even let me get started on the amount of Section 8 tenants that got living out there, poor working class, and the amount of foster families. And I can say all these things w/o being disrespectful b.c I come from a family and area (Harvey, Robbins, Lansing, southside Roseland and westside Englewood) where these issues ran rampet (sp).

Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 22,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Waukegan has nice areas too. As does Joliet, Aurora, and Elgin. So, to tick off Manigault with some more voyeurism, I'd say the worst suburbs I can think of of in terms of crime, gangs, despair, and corruption are:

Gary, Harvey, Robbins, Calumet City, Cicero, Maywood, Bellwood, and North Chicago.
Agree. Lived in the south burbs and they are def. no place to raise a family or to live happily. Terrible communities. Heard Maywood was not nice. Gary, IN (LOL!)

You missed the Heights, Phoenix, Markham, E. Hazel Crest, Posen - Midlothian (racist communities for such a small villages), Dolton, and now Country Club Hills.

If you must live in the south burbs, Tinely Park, Orland. Homewood-Glenwood...meh. West-ish' go for Oak Lawn, Palos Hills, maybe Chicago Ridge (inner CR ain't that bad)

Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceholmes View Post
Agree. Lived in the south burbs and they are def. no place to raise a family or to live happily. Terrible communities. Heard Maywood was not nice. Gary, IN (LOL!)

You missed the Heights, Phoenix, Markham, E. Hazel Crest, Posen - Midlothian (racist communities for such a small villages), Dolton, and now Country Club Hills.

If you must live in the south burbs, Tinely Park, Orland. Homewood-Glenwood...meh. West-ish' go for Oak Lawn, Palos Hills, maybe Chicago Ridge (inner CR ain't that bad)
You are sorely misinformed.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:19 AM

457 posts, read 978,178 times
I can only remember Evergreen Park and Blue Island being bad. You're right. Naperville is way over rated. From reading all these posts, I was expecting a Newport Beach or Cota De Caza (real housewives of orange county) vibe from the way people were talking. My first visit last year found the south end to be nice. big houses and very suburbia. The downtown area was hoppin, but he houses around and north of the area.......way over priced for wooden shacks. Nice victorian houses but the neighborhoods were in shambles.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Evergreen Park? Seriously?

Old 06-26-2010, 12:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Robbins, ford heights and gary are the worst

Joliet, Aurora, CC Hills, waukeegan, Elgin, calumet city and ect have some decent parts. I have no idea where evergreen park came from cuz that place is fine. The ones i just named before can rival just about any bad neighborhood in the city.

Last edited by mas23; 06-26-2010 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Robbins, ford heights and gary are the worst

Joliet, Aurora, CC Hills, waukeegan, Elgin, calumet city and ect have some decent parts. I have no idea where evergreen park came from cuz that place is fine. The ones i just named before can rival just about any bad neighborhood in the city.
Gary is not a suburb, I never heard anyone referring to it as a burb. Then again, I don't consider any town on the NWI side suburbs really since they are not in the state. They just towns that happen to be close to Chicago. The eastside of Aurora ago some years ago used to be gang central. I read an article that Aurora peaked in 1996 with 354 shootings.

Last edited by linicx; 07-16-2010 at 01:50 AM..

Old 06-26-2010, 10:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
...Then again, I don't consider any town on the Indiana side suburbs really since they are not in the state...
Wrong.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Evergreen Park? Seriously?
Yes. That made no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs