Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times

Advertisements

^^I guess it depends what the American dream is for you. I've always found that such a loaded phrase. How could all of us, so different, want exactly the same thing? I prefer to imagine the true American dream as being the ability to do whatever you want with your life, to get a good public education, to marry whomever you choose and have the mobility to go wherever you'll be happiest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM

142 posts, read 427,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
to marry whomever you choose
But then people will want to marry animals! Or maybe even a shovel!!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:42 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
But then people will want to marry animals! Or maybe even a shovel!!
????

I hope this isn't your argument against gay marriage. If we let gays get married, then people will want to marry shovels! Oh my! The slippery slope!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:50 AM

142 posts, read 427,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
????

I hope this isn't your argument against gay marriage. If we let gays get married, then people will want to marry shovels! Oh my! The slippery slope!
Sorry, I seem to be having this problem all over this forum. Sarcasm is hard to display in print. Let me introduce myself:

I'm BJT83, and I'm sarcastic.

The slippery slope argument is so laughable.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
Wondeful, another reason for a middle aged man driving down Jefferson in his leased Porsche convertible to get a bonner!

If you guys can tell me one thing that is different from south Naperville to north Plainfield, or east side of Naperville and Lisle, or Wheaton to north Naperville, or west side of Naperville to east side of Aurora, then you must see something I don't. It's all the same suburbia if you ask me. Naperville is just very good at PR.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Wondeful, another reason for a middle aged man driving down Jefferson in his leased Porsche convertible to get a bonner!

If you guys can tell me one thing that is different from south Naperville to north Plainfield, or east side of Naperville and Lisle, or Wheaton to north Naperville, or west side of Naperville to east side of Aurora, then you must see something I don't. It's all the same suburbia if you ask me. Naperville is just very good at PR.
Those areas are nice, but not as nice as the areas around downtown. There are many teardowns (boo), but many gorgeous old homes too. Not to mention Naperville has better schools than the suburbs you mentioned, more shopping, more dining, a downtown that EONS better than theirs, as well as safety, better library, etc, etc, etc. Yes, areas of Naperville that border towns you mentioned are indistinguishable for the most part, but who cares? If they want to live in Naperville, let em! I know many level-headed, hard working individuals who live in Naperville and dont drive anything remotely close to a Porsche, and they live there because they love it. And besides, what towns that butt up against each other magically change as soon as you cross the border anyways?

Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Those areas are nice, but not as nice as the areas around downtown. There are many teardowns (boo), but many gorgeous old homes too. Not to mention Naperville has better schools than the suburbs you mentioned, more shopping, more dining, a downtown that EONS better than theirs, as well as safety, better library, etc, etc, etc. Yes, areas of Naperville that border towns you mentioned are indistinguishable for the most part, but who cares? If they want to live in Naperville, let em! I know many level-headed, hard working individuals who live in Naperville and dont drive anything remotely close to a Porsche, and they live there because they love it. And besides, what towns that butt up against each other magically change as soon as you cross the border anyways?
Of course they have got more shopping and dining, they have 130,000 people. They were ahead of the curve in their downtown planning, and everyone in the past 5-10 years has tried to copy them. But to say that they have a downtown eons better than most of the towns around them, is just not true in my opinion. Yes it is more glamorous, good looking, downtown college campus doesn't hurt either, but I am more into old fashioned downtowns. Like Wheaton, Plainfield, St. Charles, Clarendon Hills, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn etc

And with all due respect due to these "silly" ranking reports Naperville has become relocation central. 2 words for you "Tall Grass" or All Ass. If there is someone who lives there or drives by the subdivision will know what I mean I have known many people who move to Naperville just because of articles like this. To each their own I guess.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Of course they have got more shopping and dining, they have 130,000 people. They were ahead of the curve in their downtown planning, and everyone in the past 5-10 years has tried to copy them. But to say that they have a downtown eons better than most of the towns around them, is just not true in my opinion. Yes it is more glamorous, good looking, downtown college campus doesn't hurt either, but I am more into old fashioned downtowns. Like Wheaton, Plainfield, St. Charles, Clarendon Hills, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn etc

And with all due respect due to these "silly" ranking reports Naperville has become relocation central. 2 words for you "Tall Grass" or All Ass. If there is someone who lives there or drives by the subdivision will know what I mean I have known many people who move to Naperville just because of articles like this. To each their own I guess.
Well, its all a matter of personal tastes, how about we leave it at that? For someone looking for a large place with TONS to do and cheaper than Hinsdale, Naperville is a jewel. But for those looking for a nice, upscale burb that is more quaint, Hinsdale takes the prize.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, its all a matter of personal tastes, how about we leave it at that? For someone looking for a large place with TONS to do and cheaper than Hinsdale, Naperville is a jewel. But for those looking for a nice, upscale burb that is more quaint, Hinsdale takes the prize.

Very true. One grand thing about Naperville's downtown are the Cougars. Wholy molly are they not pampered enough by their husbands

Old 07-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Very true. One grand thing about Naperville's downtown are the Cougars. Wholy molly are they not pampered enough by their husbands
lol

No joke. Whats odd is that they flash their ta-ta's from time to time. Thats part of the reason Im finding downtown Naperville to be less and less attractive. Seriously, keep that crap in your homes, not on a public street. Whats even more sad was that there was a bicycle cop RIGHT THERE (!!!!) when it happened, but didnt do a dang thing about it. I cant say for sure that he witnessed it or not, but if he did, he probably just enjoyed the show and pretended that he didnt see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs