Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,789,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
Did you just say that? I guess my kid's classmates' parents at his east side OP school didn't get the memo. 19 kids in the class, the parents' include a Harvard MBA, a Stanford MBA, at least three other MBAs whose schools I don't know off the top of my head, one of whom is also an engineer, 4 partners at international law firms and several other attorneys working at firms/corporations, two doctors, and two PhDs (English and Psychology). I did, however, take a sociology class in college once.
It's interesting how when we look at the realities of people, they don't really fit into "types" in the way they are suggested by some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The problem with high schools is universal. They are all filled with teenagers.
Too true!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM

18 posts, read 31,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Haha, that's funny. I've yet to see a "bad area" in Oak Park...
Go to the east side of oak park by austin av drive around then come back to me

Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
So why would I move to River Forest then? Taking my money to Riverside and Riverside-Brookfield High School then. Goodbye. No commission for you!
Because its a nice safe town, nice homes, great schools (k-8), wonderful people, etc. he's OPRF is a nice school but. I don't agree with you about it being river forests best feature

Old 11-16-2013, 01:44 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,308,235 times
Most Illiinois K-8 schools offer a nivr basic education. Most Illinois high schools are on the state's Watch List as not meeting or exceeding state and federal guidelines in Math and Science. Most of the crime in Oak Park is childish crimes like stealing bikes and defacing private property. Most high schools in America have a problem with discipline, drugs, attendance, etc.. OPRF is no better or no worse than the others.

Neither town is a Garden of Eden. The last time I saw that was in a restaurant in Tulsa. You are probably whistling in the wind.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky2190 View Post
Go to the east side of oak park by austin av drive around then come back to me
LOL, I do that on a daily basis. I have friends that live on Humphrey and Taylor that are very happy with where they live.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Most Illiinois K-8 schools offer a nivr basic education. Most Illinois high schools are on the state's Watch List as not meeting or exceeding state and federal guidelines in Math and Science. Most of the crime in Oak Park is childish crimes like stealing bikes and defacing private property. Most high schools in America have a problem with discipline, drugs, attendance, etc.. OPRF is no better or no worse than the others.

Neither town is a Garden of Eden. The last time I saw that was in a restaurant in Tulsa. You are probably whistling in the wind.
So your telling me that oprf has no other problems? I have read that oprf has twice the national average on students doing drugs and it was apparently conducted by river forest and oak park police

Old 11-16-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Because its a nice safe town, nice homes, great schools (k-8), wonderful people, etc. he's OPRF is a nice school but. I don't agree with you about it being river forests best feature
The level of crime per capita between Oak Park and River Forest is virtually the same, with each one fluctuation over and under the other at any given year. Plus the level of crime has been on a continually downward trend for the past 40 years, and is at an all time 40 year low. So it's ironic that one would make the statement that one is safe while the other is more troubled. Oak Park and River Forest have the same types of issues in this regard, and as Linicx aptly put it, most crimes are the childish crimes he noted, where Oak Park occasionally deals with it coming from the eastern border, while River Forest deals with it from Maywood... But even then it's really minimal in both cases.

Oak Park also has a large array of "nice homes", arguably some of the largest ranges of "nice" homes in the country. "Wonderful people" is also a relatively subjective term. River Forest is predominantly affluent with little diversity in income and race... One friend of mine who lives there mentioned that at parent/teachers evening, she felt more comfortable chatting with all the maids than she did the parents. Another mixed raced family that moved there from Oak Park mentioned that her daughter felt really out of place due to being one of the few non-whites, and had a hard time at school until she went to OPRF. The same family mentioned that they thought the proximity of RF being close to OP would offer a similar quality of life, but was shocked at how very different they actually are in comparison due to the generally more conservative attitude of RF. Both families are contemplating moving back to Oak Park... While some may brush this off as "anecdotal evidence", they are real experiences from real people, that are representative of a number of people I've met.

What is considered the "best feature" of any town can be relatively subjective if there are more than a few good features, and what one considered "desirable". I've found that people choose places bases based on a combination of things they want. Some value schools over types of home, some value a certain feel in the community or another, some want an equal balance of different qualities, so NO place is going to be Utopia to everyone.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
So your telling me that oprf has no other problems? I have read that oprf has twice the national average on students doing drugs and it was apparently conducted by river forest and oak park police
I've also read that the richest suburbs in Dupage county have seen an "800%" rise in Heroin use among school age populations, so trying to cheery pick a single high school/town based on teens and drug use is either being ideological or ignorant. Virtually EVERY suburb around Chicago, including the the wealthiest in the west and northshore have the same levels of the same issues to contend with.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:20 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
Default Got a reference to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
I've also read that the richest suburbs in Dupage county have seen an "800%" rise in Heroin use among school age populations, so trying to cheery pick a single high school/town based on teens and drug use is either being ideological or ignorant. Virtually EVERY suburb around Chicago, including the the wealthiest in the west and northshore have the same levels of the same issues to contend with.
The only reference I could find to anything related to was this quote from 2011 citing a seven fold increase in arrests throughout DuPage Co from 2009 to 2010. There are many parts of DuPage Co suffering from the negative effects heroin...

Heroin Arrests In DuPage County Up 700% In 2010 « CBS Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs