Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM

588 posts, read 1,801,116 times

Advertisements

Personally I never would unless I really trusted the situation. But no matter what, make sure you dial *67 first to block your number and you dial the number for them. I'd even suggest you just tell them you'll hold the phone and put it on speaker. Doesn't keep them from trying to steal it. But if you give them the phone and they run, it's only a Theft. They take it from your hands it then becomes a Robbery.

And Montana if you are being serious, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard someone do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 04:52 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,215,268 times
When I visited Chicago a year and a half ago I was asked by a man on the red line if he could use my phone. He looked like a well-meaning guy and he offered to pay to use it, so I felt ok letting him make a call.

The second time this happened was almost exactly a year ago, but it was around Michigan and Congress Parkway at about 3 AM. This guy looked fine too, but I figured at that time it was best to just tell him I didn't have my phone on me.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,571 times
I've never been asked, but if it happened, I'd just give them a weird look and say "sorry I don't have a phone".

Old 07-30-2011, 07:11 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,720 times
It happened tome, one time, at a club. The guy claimed he needed to make a call. I handed it to him, he stood there and made the call but turned his face away so he couldnt hear what I was saying. After that, I kept getting calls from guys that sounded like thugs, it was obvious that he was making a "drug call" on my phone. I just kept telling the guys that they had the wrong number.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 AM

8,051 posts, read 10,642,372 times
Where I live, the thugs usually have much nicer phones than the rest of us do, so, I've never been asked...

Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
hrrm... depends on the person really. If I get a bad vibe, then no, if I got a good vibe than yes. I've certainly felt no qualms about saying no, or saying I have no minutes, or I do'nt have my phone on me. A lot of these people just want to get high and live on the street, they are making a call to a dealer so they can meet them somewhere.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
So this has happened to me a lot recently, especially in the summer time...

I'll be on the street at night outside bars in wrigleyville or downtown, or waiting for the el train after work downtown and some scrub will come up to me and say:

"Hey, I'm heading up to ______ and I need to call my friend but I don't got a phone, do you think I could borrow your phone for a second to call him quick??"

This last guy even had the gall to say "I don't want your phone or nothin, just need to make a call". Then when I refused he almost threw a fit and stormed off.

I've had this happen to me a few times. What's the deal with this? Are there no pay phones anymore? Is it a scam for people to just steal your phone?
Yep!! I used to have that problem all the time. They would always approach while I was either texting or looking up info on the 3G data. Very annoying. I try not to pull my phone out when leaving the train stations or when playing chess at public parks....no telling where these gem invested people been.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:11 PM

867 posts, read 1,373,210 times
Just say "NO" people!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:11 PM

8,290 posts, read 23,120,137 times
Say "No! poor a-- go buy your own phone"

Old 07-30-2011, 03:52 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
There's always bums all over downtown and the northside asking for change. That's a daily occurrence.

Here's what I also have gotten:

1. Outside union station, I used to work out of an office across the street on riverside plz: *girl in tears approaches* "can you please help me? I lost my wallet and I need to get on the train to head back to Seattle and I don't have a phone and I have no way of getting home. Can you spare some money to help me?"

(I would help, if it weren't for the insane amount of tracks on her arms that clearly show how many times she's recently injected herself. I seriously doubt she's a diabetic).

2. My new office is off State street, and many times near the red line subway entrances I get guys/girls asking me "hey, can you spare a couple bucks so I can get on the train?"

I tell them I don't have any cash on me, but I have CTA card and I'd be happy to walk down the steps with them and scan them so they can get on. They ALWAYS say "no thank you" and immediately turn and walk away. I figure she didn't need a ride THAT badly or she just wanted my money for something else other than the train ride.
Hey I have to hand it to you that is a pretty good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago