Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,164,319 times

Advertisements

So this has happened to me a lot recently, especially in the summer time...

I'll be on the street at night outside bars in wrigleyville or downtown, or waiting for the el train after work downtown and some scrub will come up to me and say:

"Hey, I'm heading up to ______ and I need to call my friend but I don't got a phone, do you think I could borrow your phone for a second to call him quick??"

This last guy even had the gall to say "I don't want your phone or nothin, just need to make a call". Then when I refused he almost threw a fit and stormed off.

I've had this happen to me a few times. What's the deal with this? Are there no pay phones anymore? Is it a scam for people to just steal your phone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:03 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
That is strange wasn't an emergency or anything just a personal call?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
That is strange wasn't an emergency or anything just a personal call?
Yeah, just needed to call someone he was meeting up with and didn't know where he lived.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,962,511 times
I had it happen a few times as well. I've only lent it once to somebody who looked professional and said his battery died. Last thing I want to do is chase some guy down the street who just stole my phone.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,759 times
I've been asked, and obliged a few times. I will dial the number for them, hand them the phone then get up right in front of their face, just so they don't get any funny ideas.

It's true though, you hardly see payphones anymore.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I had it happen a few times as well. I've only lent it once to somebody who looked professional and said his battery died. Last thing I want to do is chase some guy down the street who just stole my phone.
Exactly, I'm a fairly well put together dude, and I'd think I'd be the last target for some of these "phone thieves" so it always surprises me when they ask. I can't help but think to myself "hey, if you run I will catch you and beat the **** out of you, you know that, right?"

But I don't wanna spend a night in county and I sure as heck don't want a criminal record for hunting down a lowlife who stole my phone.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
That's weird, I go out every weekend in that area and have never had anyone ask me anything random like that. Not sure what I'd do, probably say no.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
I think one person asked me once at a rest area on the highway so I obliged too
never ever while in the city been asked for a light a million times and i dont even smoke , could not even tell you how many times i have been asked for spare change has to be a high number

It really is rare to see a pay phone once in an obscure place you may see them
i would imagine some kids dont even remember when we all used them

Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 AM

There's always bums all over downtown and the northside asking for change. That's a daily occurrence.

Here's what I also have gotten:

1. Outside union station, I used to work out of an office across the street on riverside plz: *girl in tears approaches* "can you please help me? I lost my wallet and I need to get on the train to head back to Seattle and I don't have a phone and I have no way of getting home. Can you spare some money to help me?"

(I would help, if it weren't for the insane amount of tracks on her arms that clearly show how many times she's recently injected herself. I seriously doubt she's a diabetic).

2. My new office is off State street, and many times near the red line subway entrances I get guys/girls asking me "hey, can you spare a couple bucks so I can get on the train?"

I tell them I don't have any cash on me, but I have CTA card and I'd be happy to walk down the steps with them and scan them so they can get on. They ALWAYS say "no thank you" and immediately turn and walk away. I figure she didn't need a ride THAT badly or she just wanted my money for something else other than the train ride.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
I let some guy on 26th and kedzie use mine. He gave me a gatorade in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago