Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,328,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I disagree. It makes no sense at all. Babies are not born with a hate gene nor a fear gene. They learn it from adults whom they trust and love. How many times does a child need to hear "They are not like us - before the child believes 'they' are not like me?

The biggest problem wth society is people will not take the time to learn who the stranger is or if you have anything in common with him. It makes no difference if it is a new employee in our company or a new neighbor in our block. It takes time and most people are not willing to invest the time in a stranger. Fear is the express elevator.
Thanks for your response...

But I was never taught to 'fear' anyone...

Yes, my father cast 'motive' on others...but it just never resignated with me...

People fascinate me...like rubics cube puzzles...

But then again traditionally I've always been at the bottom of the social scale...

I know what it feels like to be cast aside, and made to feel 'worthless', and so maybe that's why I go out of my way to not allow others to feel the same...

I've never been 'white'...so I'm not sure how they 'collectivly' see the world, or people around them...

I only have 'fear' or 'reservations' when I'm in dangerious situations...like on the streets, or war ect ect...

But like while in college or at work, I have no reason to not like anyone there, soley based on heritage or color...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,178,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
When I see new humans while in a resturant...

I never get uncomfortable...

And for sure not in a high scale business setting....

it's one thing if I'm in a dark alley...or the hills of Afganistan to encounter someone new to me, but while at an established social setting, where everyone there is dressed decent and professional, why would I cast suspicion on another who was of a different ethnic background...unless I was a 'sociopath'...

Makes sense to me...
I don't know what your goal here is, but you're coming across as "Hey, I've got this issue solved. I'm a good person. Everyone else who aren't like me are bad people, sociopaths and immoral. I'm also smart because I think my attitude makes sense despite the fact it flies in the face of the experience of a significant chunk of both white and black people."

If that's your goal, to come across as self-righteous, smug and judgmental then kudos, goal achieved.

But if your goal is to actually make suggestions on how other people can achieve the bliss you've achieved, then you need to take a second look at your methods.

The wary, suspicious looks go both ways. I'm a very ordinary-looking white guy. Despite what you may think based on what I've written here, I don't have any personal issues with people of other races but I often get looks of hesitation from African-Americans in unstructured social settings like parties or quieter bar scenes. I understand it, and I try my best to overcome that hesitation on their part by being warm and genuine but my point is that it's not only white people who are more uncertain than usual when meeting someone new of a different race. It does go both ways, but I'm not presumptuous enough to think that makes African-Americans who act nervous around me before they get to know me bad people and I'd appreciate it if you didn't make the reverse assumption either.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't know what your goal here is, but you're coming across as "Hey, I've got this issue solved. I'm a good person. Everyone else who aren't like me are bad people, sociopaths and immoral. I'm also smart because I think my attitude makes sense despite the fact it flies in the face of the experience of a significant chunk of both white and black people."

If that's your goal, to come across as self-righteous, smug and judgmental then kudos, goal achieved.

But if your goal is to actually make suggestions on how other people can achieve the bliss you've achieved, then you need to take a second look at your methods.

The wary, suspicious looks go both ways. I'm a very ordinary-looking white guy. Despite what you may think based on what I've written here, I don't have any personal issues with people of other races but I often get looks of hesitation from African-Americans in unstructured social settings like parties or quieter bar scenes. I understand it, and I try my best to overcome that hesitation on their part by being warm and genuine but my point is that it's not only white people who are more uncertain than usual when meeting someone new of a different race. It does go both ways, but I'm not presumptuous enough to think that makes African-Americans who act nervous around me before they get to know me bad people and I'd appreciate it if you didn't make the reverse assumption either.
Hi...

White males absolutly in no way constitute fear in me...not in casual setting...unless they have swastikas tatooed on forehead or other visible part of body...

I was raised in Eastern, WA...so maybe that's why...I spent the night at their homes, as a kid, and vice versa...kind of like a goose being raised around ducks...as a goose you just think your a duck, until you get older and other ducks who don't know you make it clear that indeed you are a goose...

Why would anyone give you hostile stares?
Are you built like a WCW wrestler??

It may be your sheer size...I don't know...

But most blacks, want to fit in with 'whites'...in social settings, or they wouldn't be there...

So it might be your physical size or other things about your person or dress that signals to them you might be 'hostile'...

Like do you wear a large rebel flag on your shirt or anything??

I'm just saying...it might be other things they're reacting to other than your color....

And as far as me achieving some nirvana state of understanding...yes and no...I've lived long enough to realize the biggest threat to me, is me.

Does that make sense?

Old 11-12-2011, 03:02 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I'm in Gtown everyday and I have never had an issue or anyone stare at me? Blacks live in GT too. Check out P Street from time to time.
I guess GT may be a questionable example, but the point still stands that DC is very segregated. Arlington vs PG, SW vs NE etc.....

One can easily say don't be white on Malcom X ave and don't be a brotha in Clarendon.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 AM

One of the main things 'whites' fear is section 8 housing....(and I can't say I blame them, heck I'm starting to fear it too)

And do to negitave association...when they see one black person at a usually 'white' lounge or area...in the back of their minds they're thinking 'sliding scale'...

In other words there fear is that next week, there won't just be one black person at Happy Lounge Cafe...but that there'll be 30, then 40, then 100...

Same with nghborhoods...in their minds it always starts with '1'....then 5 then 20, then section 8 housing then crime and lowered property rates...

That seems to be the embedded template of fear that produces that initial hostility...or suspician...

Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
One of the main things 'whites' fear is section 8 housing....(and I can't say I blame them, heck I'm starting to fear it too)

And do to negitave association...when they see one black person at a usually 'white' lounge or area...in the back of their minds they're thinking 'sliding scale'...

In other words there fear is that next week, there won't just be one black person at Happy Lounge Cafe...but that there'll be 30, then 40, then 100...

Same with nghborhoods...in their minds it always starts with '1'....then 5 then 20, then section 8 housing then crime and lowered property rates...

That seems to be the embedded template of fear that produces that initial hostility...or suspician...
Someone once told me that there is a 20% rule. Once a neighborhood turns 20% black, some whites get scared and move. I wonder if its the same for bars? IMO the people that run from diversity are going to be in trouble within the next 10 years.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Someone once told me that there is a 20% rule. Once a neighborhood turns 20% black, some whites get scared and move. I wonder if its the same for bars? IMO the people that run from diversity are going to be in trouble within the next 10 years.
You might find this thread I started long time ago, of interest...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...es-moving.html

Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM

665 posts, read 1,244,112 times
its seems like the southloop taylor street area is where the melting pot is.

You can still go to wrigleyville,but you just have to choose your bars wisely.
Personally I prefer rush/division and river north. These white people dont open their arms to you
but they dont give you a cold shoulder probably because they are transplants from other parts of the country and world that heavily influenced that scene.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:40 AM

708 posts, read 1,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
its seems like the southloop taylor street area is where the melting pot is.

You can still go to wrigleyville,but you just have to choose your bars wisely.
Personally I prefer rush/division and river north. These white people dont open their arms to you
but they dont give you a cold shoulder probably because they are transplants from other parts of the country and world that heavily influenced that scene.

South Loop is exactly where I am relocating to. I would much rather be in a melting pot than a single race area. That kind of thinking (living around people like me) only limits my growth potential as a person.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:56 AM

924 posts, read 2,104,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
South Loop is exactly where I am relocating to. I would much rather be in a melting pot than a single race area. That kind of thinking (living around people like me) only limits my growth potential as a person.
Hey, vicnice, you wrote on another thread a few weeks ago about planning a relocation visit to Chicago. Did you make that trip? If so, how did it go? Were you able to get off the beaten path and see some of the "real Chicago?" Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago