Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
To me, Avondale is middle class, not upper and not lower class. There are some good places there, but I find a lot of places outside of HD's and Kuma's is undiscovered almost. The neighborhood is just a regular neighborhood IMO though. I bet in 5-10 years more people will be going there on a daily basis who don't live nearby.
Yeah, that's why it bothered me. Avondale is far from being poor. It's no LP but poor it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Yeah, that's why it bothered me. Avondale is far from being poor. It's no LP but poor it isn't.
Yep, it's a normal working middle class type of neighborhood. I don't go there much or anything but that's my view on it. Now, I don't think it's upper middle class or anything..it's part lower and part middle..middle class, but as you said it's mostly not lower class.

I love Urban systems..haha. Fun stuff to think about how an area can rise and fall, be home to certain types of people and why, etc.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Bingo. So then you back living to your bubble where everyone is a wholesome Midwest big ten white alum in Lakeview and LP. If thats how it is that's how it is, to each their own. However this is the mentality of many residents in LP and LV which is what bothers others. It's this bubble of that they live in, where outside of a few designated areas of Chicago, the rest of the city is a no mans land. Same happens in other neighborhoods.

I keep arguing because no one can say that yes, LP and LV residents, not all, but many live in a bubble. If you say that I will be more than happy to shut up.

I agree with that, but anyone can live in a bubble. Also, btw I am African American lived in city of Detroit but when to school in the suburbs. So for me I have been exposed to a little bit of everything but prefer a neighborhood like Lakeview. Hell, I grew up in the hood and was ready to get away. Some aspects of the Big Ten crowd annoy me to, but I know I am part of it and feel more comfortable around it. Also you have to remember it is nothing personal about other neighborhoods. A lot of people in these neighborhoods are looking for excitement something different than what they grew up with.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:20 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I agree with that, but anyone can live in a bubble. Also, btw I am African American lived in city of Detroit but when to school in the suburbs. So for me I have been exposed to a little bit of everything but prefer a neighborhood like Lakeview. Hell, I grew up in the hood and was ready to get away. Some aspects of the Big Ten crowd annoy me to, but I know I am part of it and feel more comfortable around it. Also you have to remember it is nothing personal about other neighborhoods. A lot of people in these neighborhoods are looking for excitement something different than what they grew up with.
I understand why people live in LP and LV it makes sense, and to each their own. But just like Little Village, LV is a bubble. Nothing wrong with that, but people on this board (not saying you) seem to argue against that when it's painfully obvious that it is a bubble. All I was saying is I don't like those neighborhoods to live in because I am used to diverse neighborhoods as are most native Chicagoans. Which is why there are few in tjose neighborhoods. The mentality in Avondale and Logan Square is very different compared to LP and LV. In LV and LP it's a more homogenous, inclusive bubble type of mentality.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM

I like Lakeview, and parts of LP..LP is much more of a bubble IMO, but you know..

Old 06-10-2012, 07:51 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Is Roscoe Village overpriced or overrated? I have a friend that is looking for a single family home and they were shocked how much more housing prices are for s single family home. I know going from Milwaukee to Chicago you should expect a lot higher home prices but 900,000-1.2 for a single family home in Roscoe Village seems a bit much. On the flip side they were just as shocked on how cheap property taxes are, you can pay nearly 9,000 on a 225K home in some Milwaukee suburbs. Here is an example of a over priced home in Roscoe, after helping them look for homes I think the NW side is a better approach:

1845 W. Cornelia St., Chicago, IL 60618 | HomeFinder.com | ID: 08052419

Old 06-10-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Is Roscoe Village overpriced or overrated? I have a friend that is looking for a single family home and they were shocked how much more housing prices are for s single family home. I know going from Milwaukee to Chicago you should expect a lot higher home prices but 900,000-1.2 for a single family home in Roscoe Village seems a bit much. On the flip side they were just as shocked on how cheap property taxes are, you can pay nearly 9,000 on a 225K home in some Milwaukee suburbs. Here is an example of a over priced home in Roscoe, after helping them look for homes I think the NW side is a better approach:

1845 W. Cornelia St., Chicago, IL 60618 | HomeFinder.com | ID: 08052419
Roscoe Village has turned into a nice place with a lot of families and good ones. That house looks very nice inside, and obviously there's a lot that's been remodeled which is one reason it's a decent amount of money I'm sure.

Single family homes within GOOD neighborhoods of Chicago are not like other cities and they will be more expensive. You can a lot of the times get more for your money in a duplex or condo I think. I don't know your friend's budget or what they're looking for to suggest anything ;-)

Old 06-10-2012, 08:17 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't know your friend's budget or what they're looking for to suggest anything ;-)
450K, single family home, any size yard will do, doesn't need to be near downtown or work, would prefer a mostly homeowner area.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
450K, single family home, any size yard will do, doesn't need to be near downtown or work, would prefer a mostly homeowner area.
How many bed, bath, sq feet?

BTW: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5_M84399-40371

Old 06-10-2012, 08:46 PM

72 posts, read 143,757 times
After 16 daunting pages I'm surprised and glad someone finally bothered to mention any of the south side neighborhoods. I'm gonna have to discredit everyone else and their mentions of north side neighborhoods, as they are, predominately, and many alternatives desired destinations for transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago