Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
The below article about DC, actually shows what's in store for all inner city areas in a decade or so...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/op....html?src=recg
The median household income for blacks is only $37k in DC? I thought DC had one of the most wealthy black populations in the country. They must all live in the 'burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 AM

160 posts, read 265,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The median household income for blacks is only $37k in DC? I thought DC had one of the most wealthy black populations in the country. They must all live in the 'burbs.
DC has a sizable black upper income population. The problem is, there's even a larger segment of generational poverty amongst low income blacks in parts of the district. Also, within the last decade or so, a lot of upper income blacks have relocated from DC to predominately black middle/upper income suburbs throughout Prince George's county in M.D.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,853 times
Chicago has a long history of racism. I was born and raised on the southside of Chicago during the 60's and 70's during the Mayor Richard M. Daley era. He was the biggest racist in the history of the free world.

A little known fact to outsiders about Chicago is that it has always been corrupt and racially segregated. Anybody remember when the 1st Black Mayor Harold Washington was in office and because of all of the racial and political discourse the media's nick-name for Chicago was Beirut by the lake? Harold was on his way to a second term when he mysteriously died of a heart attack.

Fast forward. While most of the old world immigrant racists have passed away and Chicago has made some strides, it is still one of the most racially segregated cities in America. In the late 80's I was living in Chatham. I had just picked up my 7 week onld son from the baby sitter and was putting my baby in his car seat and I had my purse snatched by a black female and a black male. After that incident, I left Chicago because I refused to live with decorative bars on my doors and windows and didn't feel safe around my own people.

At the end of the day, there is no justification for racism, however, as a Black person, I don't want to live in fear amongst poverty, high crime rates and risk being injured or killed because I live in an area amongst people who have no respect for others. Thus, I always choose to live in racially integrated middle to upper income areas. Is racism justifiable? no. However, who wants to live in fear?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Chicago has a long history of racism. I was born and raised on the southside of Chicago during the 60's and 70's during the Mayor Richard M. Daley era. He was the biggest racist in the history of the free world.

A little known fact to outsiders about Chicago is that it has always been corrupt and racially segregated. Anybody remember when the 1st Black Mayor Harold Washington was in office and because of all of the racial and political discourse the media's nick-name for Chicago was Beirut by the lake? Harold was on his way to a second term when he mysteriously died of a heart attack.

Fast forward. While most of the old world immigrant racists have passed away and Chicago has made some strides, it is still one of the most racially segregated cities in America. In the late 80's I was living in Chatham. I had just picked up my 7 week onld son from the baby sitter and was putting my baby in his car seat and I had my purse snatched by a black female and a black male. After that incident, I left Chicago because I refused to live with decorative bars on my doors and windows and didn't feel safe around my own people.

At the end of the day, there is no justification for racism, however, as a Black person, I don't want to live in fear amongst poverty, high crime rates and risk being injured or killed because I live in an area amongst people who have no respect for others. Thus, I always choose to live in racially integrated middle to upper income areas. Is racism justifiable? no. However, who wants to live in fear?
Yes, this is all true, and that's why it's so important for blacks to focus on economic development as oppossed to the racial element. The big issue is the lack of employment... The way to fix this issue is not to cry racism, but to create black businesses.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is all true, and that's why it's so important for blacks to focus on economic development as oppossed to the racial element. The big issue is the lack of employment... The way to fix this issue is not to cry racism, but to create black businesses.
I am so in agreement with you. However, IMHO it is a combination of: lack of education, poor to non-existent parenting, lack of education and the Jesse Jackson, Al Sharptons' and the whites who work alongside them to keep the racial divide going while continually promoting the woe is me syndrome. I grew up in Englewood one of the toughest areas on the southside. We were poor by most standards but everyone in my household worked every single day. I did better than the generation before me and my son has done far better than myself. Education and the desire to do better are the most imperative factors in breaking the cycle of poverty and dispair.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I am so in agreement with you. However, IMHO it is a combination of: lack of education, poor to non-existent parenting, lack of education and the Jesse Jackson, Al Sharptons' and the whites who work alongside them to keep the racial divide going while continually promoting the woe is me syndrome.
Yes, much of the goal is to keep the majority of black Americans believing that they have to wait for government and/or corporations to help them out of their current situation, because they can't possibly do much on their own. But of course, government can't do much but keep people generationally poor (through welfare dependency) and corporations will always be looking to exploit their workforce, to ensure that they maximize their own profit margins.

Unfortunately, so many people are stuck in a state of dependency and negative thinking. If one believes that they won't be successful, they can't make any attempt to better themselves. Whenever I tell (low income) black people to focus on developing themselves and focus on creating their own businesses, many become very hostile. I guess it's just easier to blame others or cry about racism.

I however wish that more blacks would take advantage of all of the free small business workshops offered by the U.S Small Business Administration. The crazy part is, there's so many programs that are specifically geared at helping minority/women entrepreneurs. I am not in anyway suggesting that it's easy, believe me it's not, but anything worthwhile is usually very difficult.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, much of the goal is to keep the majority of black Americans believing that they have to wait for government and/or corporations to help them out of their current situation, because they can't possibly do much on their own. But of course, government can't do much but keep people generationally poor (through welfare dependency) and corporations will always be looking to exploit their workforce, to ensure that they maximize their own profit margins.
This is a problem that is perpetuated from one generation to the next. I look at the rappers that have grown up and become multi-millionaires by denigrating Black women. Now that they are older, it appears that they understand the damage that they have done, unfortunately, it's too late. The denigration of women as "******* and hoes" phase has become a celebrated part of so called Black culture.

Quote:
Unfortunately, so many people are stuck in a state of dependency and negative thinking. If one believes that they won't be successful, they can't make any attempt to better themselves. Whenever I tell (low income) black people to focus on developing themselves and focus on creating their own businesses, many become very hostile. I guess it's just easier to blame others or cry about racism.
Those who are uneducated, with no one (on a personal level) to encourage or educate them on how to pull themselves up by the boot straps and teach them a work ethic have been permanently conditioned to blame everyone else but themselves for their failures.

Quote:
I however wish that more blacks would take advantage of all of the free small business workshops offered by the U.S Small Business Administration. The crazy part is, there's so many programs that are specifically geared at helping minority/women entrepreneurs. I am not in anyway suggesting that it's easy, believe me it's not, but anything worthwhile is usually very difficult.
Once again ITA. The problem is you have to have positive role models. The fact that some ignorant uneducated, but lucky rapper (Jay Z, Snoop Dogg) have become celebrated billionaires based on calling women *******, hoes, etc. is disturbing on so many levels. Unfortunately, we live in a time where education, morals and values are optional and the dollar is king.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Once again ITA. The problem is you have to have positive role models. The fact that some ignorant uneducated, but lucky rapper (Jay Z, Snoop Dogg) have become celebrated billionaires based on calling women *******, hoes, etc. is disturbing on so many levels. Unfortunately, we live in a time where education, morals and values are optional and the dollar is king.
I agree 100%. There's a myriad of very disturbing trends, however, mentoring young minds is really key to breaking these pathological behaviors...

Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. There's a myriad of very disturbing trends, however, mentoring young minds is really key to breaking these pathological behaviors...
Agreed. As my grandma used to say, charity begins at home. The problem is that many of these kids have no role models at home. Unfortunately, Beyonce, JayZ, Lil Wayne, Snoop Dog, etc are their role models. Additionally, in terms of a work ethic, the majority of them can barely fill out an application and too many of their "role models" at home are generational welfare recipients. IMHO, it's way past time for the government to stop aiding and abetting poverty which thanks to their aiding and abetting has long surpassed "assistance" and become a generational curse.

That being said, have you ever watched the show "16 and Pregnant"? Young white females are on the fast track to mimicking their Black female counterparts. America, this current generation of entitlement and dependency is in deep trouble. I can't help but wonder what they will do as we are quickly running out of taxpayers and the rate of government dependency is off the rail.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:

That being said, have you ever watched the show "16 and Pregnant"? Young white females are on the fast track to mimicking their Black female counterparts. America, this current generation of entitlement and dependency is in deep trouble. I can't help but wonder what they will do as we are quickly running out of taxpayers and the rate of government dependency is off the rail.
I've heard about the show, via internet advertisements, but truthfully, a few years ago, I stopped watching network and cable television programs.

I do however know that the gap is significantly widening between the haves and have nots of all races. It will only get worst as time goes on, and there won't be any government support left (in the coming years) to help feed, and house the indigent. That's when all H*ll will break lose, and crime will become even more pervasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago