Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 05:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiAKA2002 View Post
On the corner of 15th and Pulaski is A Better Boys Foundation community center, the horror.
In that case it's just like being in Malibu!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 PM

8 posts, read 14,827 times
ChiAKA2002, that's actually where I was at the time! Working at the Better Boys Foundation! I took red line to pink and a bus down to 15th. The bus wouldn't stop when I pulled the wire at 15th so I ended up 2 or 3 blocks further than I wanted to be and had to walk back to work in heels and a pencil skirt. A woman followed me screaming, 3 men followed me from the middle of the road, 2 cars stopped and told me to come to their windows, a separate man stopped to ask if I wanted help AND 2 cop cars rode by me and didn't bother stopping all in a matter of 10 minutes and 2 blocks! I never finished my work study with that program. I had no desire to attempt to go there again -- regardless if it was for work at the foundation. It wasn't worth risking my safety.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 AM

144 posts, read 146,161 times
People are quick to say they'll avoid the south side, but the areas around Wilson, Winthrop, and Lawrence aren't exactly the safest or nicest places to be on the north side.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:55 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT445 View Post
People are quick to say they'll avoid the south side, but the areas around Wilson, Winthrop, and Lawrence aren't exactly the safest or nicest places to be on the north side.
No but that is such as small area too...Wilson and Lawrence ..and there is always cops around. I walk by there several times a week and I never see or hear anything. Is that the case in bad parts of the south side ? Are we overreacting??

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Did I post here yet?

Hmm
U guess Austin around Kedzie Lake for some program.
Walked around Humboldt, lil village, Pilsen, Back of the Yards for visits with people.
Ummm idk. I been pretty much deep into the ghettos if you count driving.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Wow this is like the dumb thread that never dies.

I wonder if there is such a phenomena as suicide by gangster kind of like suicide by cop. You just hang arround Garfield Park or Englewood until someone offs you. My parents often joked about leaving their awful car in one of those areas for the insurance money when something happened to it.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandarporter View Post
15th and Pulaski area, no thank you.
16th and Pulaski is worse

Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM

10 posts, read 23,910 times
Just drove through Austin on West North Avenue the other day. From Oak Park to the Central Avenue intersection looks like a garbage truck spilled its contents all over the streets. There is trash everywhere and people hanging out on the street corners, standing in the middle of the road for no apparent reason. Saw a guy pick up a girl and carry her across the street like there was a flood or something.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 38,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
No it's not, unless you actually witness a lot of crime happening. Otherwise you're just witnessing things you personally associate with crime, which brings us to:

What are they going to do? Try to sell you drugs? Proposition you? Saying "no thanks" or ignoring them and walking away tends to solve that pretty easily. They likely won't even do that much. They have their own lives that don't have much to do with yours.
You sound like a suburbanite. You wouldn't last very long in the city without having street sense and knowing how to avoid trouble

Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 PM

437 posts, read 547,958 times
in 2010 me and my family were visiting Chicago. On the 2nd night there was taste of chicago/some dance off that I didn't attend. At around 8pm I walked into a nordstroms at state and washington. When I walked in everything on the streets was normal. When I walked out about 15 minutes later the streets were filled with black people everywhere who apparently came from the dance/taste of chicago. The streets were about 90% black and completely crowded. I walked through this for about 6 blocks to my hotel. This was right before it got dark out. I had a good view of the downtown streets from my hotel window and it looked pretty wild. I heard on the news that there were 3 stabbings within 2 blocks of my hotel.

The next night the streets downtown were mostly deserted at night.

The night after that we decided to check out the University of Chicago. To get from there to the 94 we had to drive through a little bit of the hood (woodlawn). We drove on west 63rd st and did a left just past the 194. We missed the exist to the 94 cus it was hard to figure out and ended up driving aimlessly down wentworth ave and then vincennes. We finally had enough when we got to a park called memorial park where people were all huddled up drinking and looking crazy in the pitch black that we decided to go back and look for the exist again cus we figured we were just driving into more and more trouble if we kept going. That's the worst I've seen of Chicago but for a big world renowned city it seemed like it would be easy to get caught slipping, even downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago