Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

While I love the features / gossip that Chicago Magazine runs on celebrity real estate I would not trust their "predictions" at all. First time buyers ought to buy only if their time horizon is greater than seven years and the price point the buy at makes sense for flat income over that period -- counting on two incomes / big promotions is extremely foolish given the horrendous business climate that Illinois has...

All other things being equal I would also caution that the rate of price appreciation of single family homes in the whole region FAR OUTSTRIPS that of condos -- factor in the often contentious fights between unit owners and huge assessments that too many condos carry and the wisdom in buying a house vs a condo is an easy call to make. When (not if) some connected sharpy decides to build a shiny a new condo building right when you are trying to unload your place you have to be prepared to sell at a loss... Buyers will discount every "upgrade" you may have done and the things you cannot control (like features in the common areas...) will pull buyers to the shiny new building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I love the features / gossip that Chicago Magazine runs on celebrity real estate I would not trust their "predictions" at all. First time buyers ought to buy only if their time horizon is greater than seven years and the price point the buy at makes sense for flat income over that period -- counting on two incomes / big promotions is extremely foolish given the horrendous business climate that Illinois has...

All other things being equal I would also caution that the rate of price appreciation of single family homes in the whole region FAR OUTSTRIPS that of condos -- factor in the often contentious fights between unit owners and huge assessments that too many condos carry and the wisdom in buying a house vs a condo is an easy call to make. When (not if) some connected sharpy decides to build a shiny a new condo building right when you are trying to unload your place you have to be prepared to sell at a loss... Buyers will discount every "upgrade" you may have done and the things you cannot control (like features in the common areas...) will pull buyers to the shiny new building.
In general I absolutely agree with you. But as they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day... this appears to be one of those times. The article did in fact distinguish between condos, townhomes, SFH and two flats, interest rates, timing, etc.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,899 times
ThAnks guys. We feel a lot safer after the feedback. As for the condo v. SFH, as first time buyers that will be pretty busy day to day, I think we just wanted the lack of upkeep a condo affords. The other plus was that its cheaper than renting for us and we plan on being there 6-10 years

Old 03-19-2013, 02:27 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvingpark22 View Post
ThAnks guys. We feel a lot safer after the feedback. As for the condo v. SFH, as first time buyers that will be pretty busy day to day, I think we just wanted the lack of upkeep a condo affords. The other plus was that its cheaper than renting for us and we plan on being there 6-10 years
Your timeframe seems good re: buying vs renting.

I often hear 5 years as the magic number (if staying longer than 5, buy, if not, rent), but since it's often someone with a vested interest in the real estate industry stating that, I tend to assume it's probably more like 7.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 PM

29 posts, read 120,399 times
I live close there. It's fine.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,576,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Your timeframe seems good re: buying vs renting.

I often hear 5 years as the magic number (if staying longer than 5, buy, if not, rent), but since it's often someone with a vested interest in the real estate industry stating that, I tend to assume it's probably more like 7.

It's definitely 7+ unless you time a bubble just right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago