Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

Are hipsters gentrification? Lots of them are working class (in effect) and scruffy and hardly qualify as gentry. Does gentrification actually sometimes mean replacing Mexicans, Blacks and Puerto Ricans with Whites regardless of the actual social status of those Whites?

Or is gentrification the later phase when bourgeois whites chase the white hipsters out?

If college educated working class hipsters (the New Working Class? That would make an interesting article in the Atlantic) with lower incomes replace traditional working class Whites with higher incomes in a neighborhood is that gentrification?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 03:08 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
All of what you're describing is part of gentrification, and this gets into the whole problem of the word "hipster" being a dumb word without a very concrete definition. (We've beaten that dead horse in other threads.) Generally speaking, though, I would say the people most commonly called "hipsters" come after the true artists and before the yuppies on the gentrification timeline in most neighborhoods.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I would argue that Ukrainian Village and other parts of West Town are still gentrifying, as is Pilsen, though perhaps none of these as rapidly as Logan Square. I would agree that Uptown is kinda treading water. I'm not very familiar with Rogers Park and Bronzeville, so I will take your word on those.
Actually it feels like a logjam in Uptown has finally broken now that a) Shiller is gone and b) the Wilson Yard project is complete. Throw in the Wilson stop renovation that's about half a century overdue and the place finally looks to have the momentum that has been lacking for so long. The wig stores and knick-knack shops along Broadway are all but gone. A lot of the social services institutions will probably still be there for the foreseeable future but with Shiller gone the next big project probably won't take a decade and a half to get off the ground like Wilson Yard did.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Speaking of station rehab, it looks like the new Wilson stop will include Purple Line rush hour service. That would have been handy when I was an Andersonvillian (or in my case would that be Andersonvillain?).

Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Are hipsters gentrification? Lots of them are working class (in effect) and scruffy and hardly qualify as gentry. Does gentrification actually sometimes mean replacing Mexicans, Blacks and Puerto Ricans with Whites regardless of the actual social status of those Whites?

Or is gentrification the later phase when bourgeois whites chase the white hipsters out?

If college educated working class hipsters (the New Working Class? That would make an interesting article in the Atlantic) with lower incomes replace traditional working class Whites with higher incomes in a neighborhood is that gentrification?
There is the hipster effect. Usually hipsters are the first wave somewhere and then gentrifiers come after

Old 05-28-2013, 04:13 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There is the hipster effect. Usually hipsters are the first wave somewhere and then gentrifiers come after
The gentrifiers are just the "hipsters" and artists two years later - i.e. out of art school and with a Junior Assistant Art Director job at an ad agency. Oh - and living with their girlfriend and a dog.

Last edited by Attrill; 05-28-2013 at 04:26 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 12:07 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
I think this kind of fits in here: A recent TimeOut Chicago article featured five neighborhoods that the author predicted were poised to become "the next Logan Square". They were:

- Avondale
- Humboldt Park
- Grand Avenue Corridor
- Bridgeport
- Tri-Taylor

TimeOut Chicago: The neighborhoods to buy property in now

Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I think this kind of fits in here: A recent TimeOut Chicago article featured five neighborhoods that the author predicted were poised to become "the next Logan Square". They were:

- Avondale
- Humboldt Park
- Grand Avenue Corridor
- Bridgeport
- Tri-Taylor

TimeOut Chicago: The neighborhoods to buy property in now
Cool article, thanks for sharing. I think I agree with all of these. I think Avondale and Bridgeport are the two that will probably become biggest the soonest, although they kind of are already leaning that way recently IMO.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 AM

You'd think the Ground Zero of Avondale hipsterization would be somewhere around the Belmont/Kimball intersection where the L stop is. Instead it's been the Belmont/Elston/California intersection which is near... well, nothing.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
If anything I think it's pretty significantly under-publicized, actually. Most people in the city would have no idea that every couple of weeks there is a relatively upscale new coffeeshop, restaurant, gastropub, or boutique-type shop (bike shops, art supply stores, high-end vintage furniture stores, fancy bakeries, etc.) going in on a few-block stretch of 18th alone, while old junk stores and the like are closing. I know this because I see the signs go up out my living room window. The change just within the past year has been stunning. It's not quite on the scale of Milwaukee Ave. in Logan, but it's not as different as some would think.

It's possible I would also think this about Rogers Park, Uptown, or Bronzeville if I lived in one of those neighborhoods, but I kinda doubt it.

Then you have stuff like this, which regularly has long-time local residents in an uproar:
http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...hall-in-pilsen

I have no financial investment in the neighborhood, nothing to sell, and no reason to exaggerate. If anything, I wish you were right because I like the neighborhood as it is and don't want my rent to go up. Anyone who lives there or even visits semi-regularly will tell you it's changing, though.

It's also spilling into Bridgeport, which is another place you didn't mention.
I'm pretty sure I live a block or two from ChiNaan (based on posts, not stalking you dude, I swear) and this fits my observation to a T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago