Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's time for the grown-ups to step back and reflect on the original purpose of Little League? Was it worth putting the kids through this for your own brief moment of vicarious glory?

Jackie Robinson West stripped of Little League title - Chicago Tribune

Old 02-11-2015, 03:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
I can't view the video at work but please tell me that the coaches or team managers also made statements and did not allow that child to represent the team by himself at that press conference

Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
It's sad for the kids who played - but there were kids from Homewood, Lynwood, Lansing, etc. on that team ... how is that fair? You want to pick and choose who is on your team - that's what travel ball is for - NOT Little League.

Ugh.

I'm even more disgusted by Jesse Jackson & Father Pfleger jumping into the mix with the immediate cry of "it was racism!"

It wasn't. It was rules.

The guy from Evergreen Park who blew this whistle on this is about as far from being a racist as one could get.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I was wondering why Jesse Jackson was there. Is the whole team all minorities? What an opportunist he is.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's sad for the kids who played - but there were kids from Homewood, Lynwood, Lansing, etc. on that team ... how is that fair? You want to pick and choose who is on your team - that's what travel ball is for - NOT Little League.

Ugh.

I'm even more disgusted by Jesse Jackson & Father Pfleger jumping into the mix with the immediate cry of "it was racism!"

It wasn't. It was rules.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default The "who broke the rules" part is what makes it kind of awful...

Quote:

Ugh.

It wasn't. It was rules.

The guy from Evergreen Park who blew this whistle on this is about as far from being a racist as one could get.
For anybody that has had their son or daughter participate in organized sports the fact is there are all kinds of very specific rules for every kind of sport. If you want to be on an "everybody gets equal time on the field" kind of time like AYSO soccer you still have to prove your child is registered for the appropriate size field based on their birth certificate. Ditto for YMCA, Pops Warner, swimming, whatever.

If you decide your kid has the commitment to play on a "travel time" you can sign them up and let the coaches decide the appropriate level up to the point that those rules allow.

If you decide to participate in Little League there are clear boundaries over which kids are to play with their classmates / neighbors. That is kind of the "magic" of these often very little towns in the middle of nowhere winning their state playoffs and then going to the "world series".

Somebody clearly decided to "bend the rules" and in a place like Illinois one need not imagine that take after the bad example of others.

Really feel terrible for the kids and parents that got sucked into what was probably cooked up as just a way to get the best kids playing together, but that is NOT how the Little Rules work and no doubt from now on there will be more scrutiny on this there is in making sure that kids go to the right school district and similar attendance based boundaries...

Old 02-11-2015, 05:00 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
I think Little League International is completely schizophrenic, which is what caused this entire situation.

On one hand they are responsible for running a high stakes playoff series, where it makes sense to have strict rules to prevent coaches from building a team of ringers. Unfortunately they do absolutely nothing to verify or even facilitate the creating maps of who is eligible to play, and leave that to a patchwork of different local volunteer organizations.

On the other hand they are running an organization to promote baseball among kids, and get as many kids to play as they can. That's why they're very lenient on letting kids who attend a private or charter school outside where they reside to play in a division. It's why kids can choose different parents, guardians, or relatives to list for their residence. It's why kids get grandfathered into divisions even when they move. In short - they make the rules incredibly lenient to allow as many kids as possible to play.

Most of the time this leniency allows kids to keep playing with their friends. To allow them to be part of a team that has the most convenient location for them (anytime you draw borders, someone is inconvenienced by being at the edge of the border). Some teams in areas with low participation wouldn't exist if they weren't lax with the rules. This sort of logic applies to the vast majority of teams out there.

There is however a smaller group of teams that has been using the unclear rules and non-existent enforcement as a way to build powerhouse teams. Pretty much every regional championship team falls into this category. Little League has tolerated this in order to have higher quality games at the national level (thereby getting better TV contracts) and to have the best team possible reach the international level (if they enforce the rules applied to JWR nationally, the US will get slaughtered in international competition every year).

If the rules were clear, and had been enforced in the past, I would have no problem with them taking back the title. I'd also have no problem if they declared that they're cracking down next year, and telling every team to get it together. I would even be fine if they had checked the eligibility of every teams' players before beginning the national championship. I think it is a total load of crap to run the league as they always have, and then change their minds after the season is long over.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:12 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I think they knew exactly what they were doing and they got caught.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Yeah, what a marvelous example they're setting for these kids. It wasn't bad enough that their coaches set a crappy example by stacking the deck; now you have other adults telling the kids it was OK for the coaches to cheat because, I dunno, black people should be given a pass when they break the rules as restitution for their history of oppression or something? I can't even imagine the moral imbecility it takes to stand in front of a television camera and excuse what these tools did because of their race.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
It's the same kind of mentality that middle-aged guys have for their alma mater's football/basketball/etc team. Why would a 55 yo guy get all animated/upset about the fortunes of a collegiate football team? Doesn't he have more important things to be worried about? Let the current players/students/coaches worry about it, not some long-since graduated guy trying to relive the old days. I'll never understand these crazy alumni...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago