Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 01:38 PM

498 posts, read 724,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I TOO CHET WONDER WHERE YOU LIVE?
Probably Schaumburg or some other equally horrible place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 15,350 times
Kind wish the original Grant Park Tower 3 was getting built. SOOO much nicer looking of a building...

Old 09-26-2015, 06:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Wow - another building has been announced for the Essex Inn at 800 S Michigan right near all these others. 48 stories with 388 units. Loving this building. What is going on in the South Loop lately? I mean, who knows if all these will be built but it's kind of nuts that in the course of 1-1.5 weeks, there's been a flurry of activity down there in the way of unveiling new buildings that are for the most part pretty bold.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...o-essex-inn-in

Source: Crain's Chicago:

Old 09-26-2015, 06:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wow - another building has been announced for the Essex Inn at 800 S Michigan right near all these others. 48 stories with 388 units. Loving this building. What is going on in the South Loop lately? I mean, who knows if all these will be built but it's kind of nuts that in the course of 1-1.5 weeks, there's been a flurry of activity down there in the way of unveiling new buildings that are for the most part pretty bold.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...o-essex-inn-in

Source: Crain's Chicago:
Nice! I've been getting bored with the endless glass towers but this one puts a nice twist on the trend.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:55 PM

672 posts, read 757,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
my apology….i'm using good at picking up on it. will definitely have to fine tune my radar.
All good. My parched Australian humour has landed me in trouble before.

Quote:
however, to verify: please submit a copy of your official Chicagophile ID
They don't issue those to North-Easterners. Even phoney, transient transplant NYers like me.

In other news, liking that new announcement. I really hope that we'll see all these things in the flesh. Well, concrete.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Probably Schaumburg or some other equally horrible place
I can understand Chet's problem with that tower. I really can. And he's not alone. And frankly, that skyline along S Michigan is lovely. But I think folks in Chicago need to embrace change when it increases density and enhances street life.

Cities aren't museums or gardens; they're places where all kinds of people work, live and play. And those places are dynamic and messy. All regulations should do is try to stop egregious abuses of that dynamism -- like, say, slum lord activity -- and any development that threatens to destroy it -- like towers-in-the-park, road widening and strip malls.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:07 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
I can understand Chet's problem with that tower. I really can. And he's not alone. And frankly, that skyline along S Michigan is lovely. But I think folks in Chicago need to embrace change when it increases density and enhances street life.

Cities aren't museums or gardens; they're places where all kinds of people work, live and play. And those places are dynamic and messy. All regulations should do is try to stop egregious abuses of that dynamism -- like, say, slum lord activity -- and any development that threatens to destroy it -- like towers-in-the-park, road widening and strip malls.
But the problem is that Chet isn't a resident of that neighborhood so he doesn't even have any standing to be complaing. If he wants to preach down to people from his Ivory Tower in Western Springs or wherever he lives, fine, but let's keep that discussion in the suburbs forum. Yes I get it, you can have any opinion you want, but don't for a second think Chet's opinions represents those of the residents of Chicago. Not for a second.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:45 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post

There are many people both for and against this tower. Do you really think that most people are against this tower or...?

Old 09-27-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are many people both for and against this tower. Do you really think that most people are against this tower or...?
Ah, yes. I can see how I messed up that sentence. No, my guess is that most people are in favour. I should have qualified: people against the project because it shadows the park need to let go and let the city change.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:30 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Lots of suburban people grew up in the city, have deep roots and kinsmen there, maintain an interest in it and are old school Chicago in their demeanor and folkways. I think Chet's one of those guys.

I maintain an interest in Chicago and intend to move back when I need the support of my children there. I was born in Chicago and expect to die there.

As for the South Loop---my experience there is that a bunch of new high rise buildings will make the neighborhood even more un neighborly, soulless and dismal than it was when I lived there. It's one thing to discuss how fine the new buildings will look but another thing to live among them. It was novel to live in a high rise with a Lake view but after three years I was glad to move into a regular neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago