Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago is more like...
Philly, NYC, and Boston 139 76.37%
Indianapolis, Columbus, and Kansas City 43 23.63%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 10 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times

Advertisements

Chicago peer cities currently are NY and LA. Top tier.

Philadelphia, Boston, Detroit are/were peers for historical reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 01:53 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Whenever Chicago has to compete with coastal cities/metro areas, then all of the sudden Chicago is part of the midwest in defensiveness opposition to "coastal elites" or whatever but when talking about within the midwest, Chicagoans don't give any credit or respect to other midwest cities/metro areas.
No, Tex, this is not true. Many Chicagoans vacation in Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Many attended Big Ten schools in Iowa and Indiana. I would say Ohio is probably the only Midwestern state Chicagoans don't have a fondness for, and that's mainly because many don't spend time in Ohio. It's no secret Chicago is in a different league than every other Midwestern city, but you rarely see Chicagoans berating anywhere in the Midwest like people on the coasts.

There is some bad blood between Illinois and Indiana, but most don't get too caught up in it.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 10-15-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-15-2016, 07:11 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
none of the above

Old 10-20-2016, 12:21 PM

410 posts, read 491,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyw90 View Post
DC has the energy of a SF or mini Manhattan; progressive, growing and wealthy. It's not an old stagnant city whose best days are behind. Honestly, in many ways DC trumps Chicago, and I predict will overtake it in most categories within the next few years.
lol

Old 10-21-2016, 07:17 PM

118 posts, read 193,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
lol
Glad I could amuse you.

I've spent serious amounts of time in Chicago and I live in DC. I'd take DC all day for growth, opportunity and money. It's massively growing, not massively in debt, with relentless taxation. As I get older, I'd take it for nightlife and culture as well. Obviously it's better for weather, location, and overall metro area (MUCH better burbs). The vibe here is polished, upscale and international. Very pretty city.

Everybody eats and does well here, not just White folks. It doesn't feel particularly segregated. When you go out to high end places, the crowd is typically very mixed. There are a LOT of Afr Americans and people of color here with serious cash, that actually are very present within the core of the city, not completely segregated to one side of the city away from the center.

It draws A-level national and international talent, along with NY, SF, LA, Boston, etc.

You're not fearing for your life here. It's also not located within flyover country.

There's a reason why it's substantially more expensive.

Last edited by jeremyw90; 10-21-2016 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 10:18 PM

118 posts, read 193,829 times
I'm a an independent consultant. I've lived in the core of numerous cities mentioned in this thread. All of them, besides DC n NY, have similar setups: snobby White millennial suburban consultant types occupying grossly overpriced apt buildings in the core. VERY little diversity. DC at least has snobby Black n international consultants types in these buildings as well, lol. But, it also has other types too. Like NY, there's a wider variety of ages, backgrounds and careers. Maybe it's because the rent is so damn high that it brings in folks besides the young consultant paying $2350 for a 1br. In DC a similar 1br may well be $3,700 now; so a different demographic.

Last edited by jeremyw90; 10-21-2016 at 10:32 PM..

Old 10-22-2016, 12:53 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Glad I could amuse you.

I've spent serious amounts of time in Chicago and I live in DC. I'd take DC all day for growth, opportunity and money. It's massively growing, not massively in debt, with relentless taxation. As I get older, I'd take it for nightlife and culture as well. Obviously it's better for weather, location, and overall metro area (MUCH better burbs). The vibe here is polished, upscale and international. Very pretty city.

Everybody eats and does well here, not just White folks. It doesn't feel particularly segregated. When you go out to high end places, the crowd is typically very mixed. There are a LOT of Afr Americans and people of color here with serious cash, that actually are very present within the core of the city, not completely segregated to one side of the city away from the center.

It draws A-level national and international talent, along with NY, SF, LA, Boston, etc.

You're not fearing for your life here. It's also not located within flyover country.

You had nothing better to do on a Friday night than be on City Data posting fiction. DC is inferior to Chicago in all categories. DC won't be on Chicago's level in your lifetime. Keep dreaming homeboy!!!!!

Old 10-22-2016, 12:58 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Glad I could amuse you.

DC not located in flyover country? I am sorry but outside of the DC metro (like Chicago) what the hell is super interesting about VA or MD? I always thought flyover country meant anything that isn't New York or LA to be honest. People go to VA and MD because of DC. Take that out and they are just as interesting as Illinois, Wisconsin, or Indiana. You telling me people to to that area to hit up Baltimore?

Old 10-23-2016, 03:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Not sure about Hyde Park, but isn't Clifton technically within the city limits?
Both are inside the city limits. If you want suburban then Kenwood would be a good one.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:41 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
DC posters always come in to Chicago discussions to shoot us down. But again, how many Chicago people actively think of DC, really ever? That's not a thing to us. Chicago people think of big cities and think New York and Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago