Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Not so sure of that... I for one love big cities, but do not like what Chicago has become. I lothe Liberals and actually found myself googling "the most conservative big cities" last night as I contemplate my future. I have no interest in being associated with a "Sanctuary City".
Well you're gonna be sorely disappointed. Conservative big cities don't exist. Cities in and of themselves can't function off of conservative ideology. Weakening government and making everyone fend for themselves is what rural America is. That's all fine and dandy for rural America. We get it, rural America. You're tough and don't need no big gubmint to plow your roads or police your town because you have your big trucks and guns.

City people on the other hand aren't hyper conservative if at all conservative because the existence of a city depends on...government.

This is what people in rural America don't get. Your style of government (small) doesn't work for how America is evolving. We are becoming more urbanized, our density is increasing, and their idea is that America should be run like some small town???

So good luck with your conservative big city wish. It doesn't exist. I live in a dark red state of Kentucky and the city I live in is purple. If you have a desire to live amongst conservatives, stay under 500,000 people or maybe under 250,000 because city people realize that in order for a larger city to function we can't have the mentality of "cut spending, reduce services, have everyone be self-sufficient" nonsense. You want that then go live in Montana or Wyoming and do the whole "off the grid" thing.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:30 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Not so sure of that... I for one love big cities, but do not like what Chicago has become. I lothe Liberals and actually found myself googling "the most conservative big cities" last night as I contemplate my future. I have no interest in being associated with a "Sanctuary City".
Don't come to any of the big (or even some medium sized) cities in Texas - they are all sanctuary cities.

Austin, Texas
Baytown, Texas
Brownsville, Texas
Channelview, Texas
Denton, Texas
Dallas, Texas
El Cenizo, Texas
Ft. Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas (1992)
Katy, Texas
Laredo, Texas
League City, Texas (added 11/16/08 - See Below)
Mcallen, Texas
Port Arthur, Texas
San Antonio, Texas

Old 02-02-2017, 10:41 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Yeah, I saw those lists. Texas is too hot anyway. I get the big city mentality, but when they devolve into outright lawlessness by declaring "Sanctuary City" status, that's just too much for me. Rahm can have his illegal aliens and I'll take my six figure salary elsewhere. Running off the meat and potatoes by inviting and protecting illegals seems like a really bad business decision, but I guess it secures his Democratic voting base.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:51 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Yeah, I saw those lists. Texas is too hot anyway. I get the big city mentality, but when they devolve into outright lawlessness by declaring "Sanctuary City" status, that's just too much for me. Rahm can have his illegal aliens and I'll take my six figure salary elsewhere. Running off the meat and potatoes by inviting and protecting illegals seems like a really bad business decision, but I guess it secures his Democratic voting base.
You don't get it. Sanctuary City just means that the local cops won't do the federal cops job. They refuse to check the immigration status for federal law enforcement. Most of the policies center around not cooperating with federal law enforcement on immigration policies. Many of the largest cities in the country have forms of such policies.

Old 02-02-2017, 03:59 PM

335 posts, read 334,413 times
Quote:
Wait wait wait.... I recall many previous posts singing the praises of IL. What happened?

Old 02-02-2017, 06:34 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You don't get it. Sanctuary City just means that the local cops won't do the federal cops job. They refuse to check the immigration status for federal law enforcement. Most of the policies center around not cooperating with federal law enforcement on immigration policies. Many of the largest cities in the country have forms of such policies.
It's much deeper than that and you know it.

Emanuel announces immigrant legal fund - Chicago Tribune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Wait wait wait.... I recall many previous posts singing the praises of IL. What happened?
I don't have an issue with Illinois per se, it's the dirtbag running Chicago that really bothers me.

Last edited by flamadiddle; 02-02-2017 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 04:50 AM

1 posts, read 802 times
Mod cut. Link deleted.

Congratulations Chicago on having the HIGHEST UNEMPLOYMENT RATE in America.
Another accolade of failure for Chitown.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-05-2017 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: New members are not permitted to post links.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofFailure View Post
[snip]
Yep.

Chicago is a city where - all the rich upper class White people did not grow up in Chicago, they simply relocated there because they were offered a job here.

A city where, all the White college grads (DePaul, Loyola) relocate after graduating because the 1st place that hires them is another city. And also did not attend high school here,

And the largest portion of Blacks unemployed.

And Hispanics working underground jobs.

I haven't been able to find a full-time job for 4 years, so I live for free. :]

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-05-2017 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 06:57 AM

672 posts, read 757,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityofFailure View Post
[snip]
That's a serious exaggeration but yep, 5.4% isn't great these days. Boston's is pretty impressive.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-05-2017 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 12:52 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Yep.

Chicago is a city where - all the rich upper class White people did not grow up in Chicago, they simply relocated there because they were offered a job here.

A city where, all the White college grads (DePaul, Loyola) relocate after graduating because the 1st place that hires them is another city. And also did not attend high school here,

And the largest portion of Blacks unemployed.

And Hispanics working underground jobs.

I haven't been able to find a full-time job for 4 years, so I live for free. :]

The. Only reason I stay is I have a really great job that would be very hard to replace. otherwise I,d split for sure. I,d take Texas in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago