Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:29 PM

672 posts, read 758,295 times

Advertisements

The links you've posted are about whitewater rafting. Why not just ask about whitewater rafting? It's taken nearly a whole page from 'Chicago has nothing to do' to arrive at 'there's no whitewater rafting.'

Maybe that's a business opportunity to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 12:51 AM

70 posts, read 59,024 times
Not just rafting but more importantly, safe whitewater kayaking. People love to get out and exercise on the water during nice weather but flat water kayaking isn't challenging and so it quickly becomes boring for many. Chicagoland also needs a safe alternative to kayaking over dams, which has lead to quite a few deaths in the area.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
The links you've posted are about whitewater rafting. Why not just ask about whitewater rafting? It's taken nearly a whole page from 'Chicago has nothing to do' to arrive at 'there's no whitewater rafting.'

Maybe that's a business opportunity to explore.
Seems like appropriate advice.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,422,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellinit2ya View Post
Not just rafting but more importantly, safe whitewater kayaking. People love to get out and exercise on the water during nice weather but flat water kayaking isn't challenging and so it quickly becomes boring for many. Chicagoland also needs a safe alternative to kayaking over dams, which has lead to quite a few deaths in the area.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:31 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,848 times
You're kidding, right? I feel like Chicago entertainment is almost entirely geared towards singles in their 20s/30/s/40s-- every imaginable type of restaurant in every price range, every imaginable type of bar, all types of live music (local, regional, and national), comedy everywhere, every level of theater (from the most indie and amateur to the most world-class and high-budget), art walks and open galleries, multiple festivals every weekend all summer in every neighborhood representing every culture....

Damn. I could go on and on. (This is not even to mention sports, which aren't really my thing but which are also clearly top-notch in Chicago.)

I find it the perfect place to be a regular (not too young and not too old) single childless adult. In fact, I think if I had toddlers or was elderly, I would probably go elsewhere. I think the city is a way tougher place to live for people in those demographics.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,848 times
Quote:
Not just rafting but more importantly, safe whitewater kayaking.
You realize Illinois is the second-flattest state in the US, right? Not much can be done about that. If you want whitewater, go west or east to where the mountains are.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:51 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Whitewater rafting and whitewater kayaking are sort of in a similar category, and it seems like a very specific type of thing to pick out. Maybe try joining this facebook group? A quick google search also seemed to have a few places within driving distance of Chicago with these activities.

Is this pretty much the sole type of activity you had in mind or were there other things you're looking for?

Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
I get a kick out of how the OP suggests there is "Chicago specific" entertainment targeted toward "the elderly". Surely they mean the famous Chicago Park District international wheelchair and walker races. And let's not forget the Mayor's Shuffleboard Challenge. I believe the City Council routinely judges the Afghan Knitting and Crochet Festival...

WTF?

Chicago has some of the most well regarded Marathons, Triathlons, and similar competitions. The mix of competitors and sponsorships by some of the largest marketers shows that these are for YOUNG PEOPLE who spend money on things like alcoholic beverages, high end brands and luxury lifestyles.

OP needs to open their eyes!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:54 AM

150 posts, read 295,501 times
My Dad always said, 'If you're bored, it's because you're boring'

Old 03-23-2017, 09:14 AM

70 posts, read 59,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I get a kick out of how the OP suggests there is "Chicago specific" entertainment targeted toward "the elderly". Surely they mean the famous Chicago Park District international wheelchair and walker races. And let's not forget the Mayor's Shuffleboard Challenge. I believe the City Council routinely judges the Afghan Knitting and Crochet Festival...

WTF?

Chicago has some of the most well regarded Marathons, Triathlons, and similar competitions. The mix of competitors and sponsorships by some of the largest marketers shows that these are for YOUNG PEOPLE who spend money on things like alcoholic beverages, high end brands and luxury lifestyles.

OP needs to open their eyes!

Exactly. Chicago has a lot of beer! Swell! What does it have for younger people who want to stay in shape? The ordinary or is there something exciting in that regard that I missed? Well, for the elderly it has many many walking paths and if they are feeling spunky they can even ride a bike down them! Afterward they can go to their favorite museums for a hundreth viewing. Chicago wants to pride itself on being a progressive city but what it promotes is an unhealthy lifestyle instead of keeping up wwith a current healthy outdoor trend of other cities .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago