Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 02:13 PM

70 posts, read 58,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
I am not a big museum or art person, but there's plenty of other things to do in Chicago listed by several people on this thread other than whitewater kayaking. Chicago proper does not have whitewater kayaking to my knowledge, and I would assume that would not be a dealbreaker for less than 1% of the population that would consider living in or visiting the city.
It would be a significant draw. Otherwise, why, for example, would London have constructed one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 02:52 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,636,243 times
You've made this exact thread at least 5 or 6 times. Are you expecting a different outcome this time?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:53 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Go skydive.

Skydive Midwest, closest skydiving to Chicago and Milwaukee.

Skydive Chicago | Setting The Standard

Old 03-23-2017, 05:05 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Should this thread have been called, "should Chicago get a whitewater rafting course if physically possible"?
Yes

Old 03-23-2017, 05:09 PM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellinit2ya View Post
Should I be ashamed that I prefer healthy and exciting outdoor activities
You prefer ONE specific activity. No, you shouldn't be ashamed, but you shouldn't pretend like Chicago has nothing when you really mean it doesn't have one random obscure thing.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:11 PM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times
Quote:
And why does everybody seem to be obsessing over volleyball?
Some obsess over volleyball. Others obsess over whitewater kayaking. These are two of the hundreds of active things people do.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM

201 posts, read 278,611 times
This is kind of a ridiculous thread...

If you want a man-man, hugely expensive whitewater rafting course in the city of Chicago, this forum is not the place to get that done. Talk to some people in government or something, but I don't think anyone on here is in a position to make that happen.

Claiming that a city has "nothing to do" because it does not have a MAN-MADE WHITEWATER RAFTING COURSE is absurd. I enjoy rafting as well, but is 100% a niche/novelty hobby especially in the mid-west, and expecting every major city to have a man-made course is crazy, even if "London has one". I think it would be awesome if you and your fellow rafting enthusiasts banded together and put something in the works, but bashing a city for not having a massively infrastructure-intensive novelty attraction that caters to a minute portion of its residents is simply not fair.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:03 PM

There's a ride at Great America called Thunder River, right? Is that ride a volleyball ride or a white water rafting one?

Anyway, a whitewater park draws two types of people, the rafters looking for a mini vacation thrill and kayakers who are looking to find exercise by partaking in an exciting outdoor sport . so its not a small number of people.

Last edited by tellinit2ya; 03-23-2017 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM

201 posts, read 278,611 times
Quote:
There's a ride at Great America called Thunder River, right? Is that ride a volleyball ride or a white water rafting one?

Anyway, a whitewater park draws two types of people, the ones looking for a mini vacation thrill and kayakers who are looking to find exercise by partaking in an exciting outdoor sport . so its not a small number of people.
No one is saying it is a bad idea, no one is saying it isn't feasible, and no one is saying it wouldn't be enjoyed by everyone far and wide. I think it is a great idea! I would definitely go if someone built one!

What people ARE saying, is that claiming a city has "nothing to do" because it doesn't have a MAN-MADE WHITEWATER RAFTING FACILITY is simply false!!! Which is the main premise of your original post! So stop trying to convince people that Chicago is boring because it doesn't have this relatively rare amenity, and expend that effort petitioning your local mayor or whomever to build you one.

At this point I'm not even sure you aren't trolling.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
No one is saying it is a bad idea, no one is saying it isn't feasible, and no one is saying it wouldn't be enjoyed by everyone far and wide. I think it is a great idea! I would definitely go if someone built one!

What people ARE saying, is that claiming a city has "nothing to do" because it doesn't have a MAN-MADE WHITEWATER RAFTING FACILITY is simply false!!! Which is the main premise of your original post! So stop trying to convince people that Chicago is boring because it doesn't have this relatively rare amenity, and expend that effort petitioning your local mayor or whomever to build you one.

At this point I'm not even sure you aren't trolling.

What I'm doing here has a bit to do with venting a grievance for two reasons. 1. I don't like the idea of kayakers in chicagoland communities having to resort to finding whitewater kayaking in dangerous rivers (dams, natural holes, etc) because committees around here aren't supplying these communities with an alternative in the form of white water courses. 2. I'm sick of seeing the city of Chicago and its affiliates brag about offering more of the same (museums, beer fests, punk and electronica fests and walking paths). They should focus on other interests too.

I don't have a clue about how to officially present an idea or to who and I don't have any confidence that it would bring about change .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago