Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times

Advertisements

Right, elderly are clogging the lakefront path with adult tricycles. Sure pal.

I could post hundreds of photos of buff 20 somethings and bikini-clad young women that burn through 1500 calorie hot yoga / spin / crossfit workouts getting ready to tan themselves and play volleyball after work and every weekend along the lakefront... In the gyms and healthclubs right now there are tens of thousands of young Chicagoans looking forward to the same kinds of trips to beaches of the Caribbean / Gulf of Mexico they've made since Spring Break in college but know they have the funds to do it with class.

You really need to get out more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 09:23 AM

306 posts, read 365,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellinit2ya View Post
Chicago wants to pride itself on being a progressive city but what it promotes is an unhealthy lifestyle instead of keeping up wwith a current healthy outdoor trend of other cities .
Sounds like you have your mind made up. I would recommend that you move to one of those other cities.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM

70 posts, read 58,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Whitewater rafting and whitewater kayaking are sort of in a similar category, and it seems like a very specific type of thing to pick out. Maybe try joining this facebook group? A quick google search also seemed to have a few places within driving distance of Chicago with these activities.

Is this pretty much the sole type of activity you had in mind or were there other things you're looking for?
Thank you. Yes, I knew the midwest is full of whitewater, both man made courses and natural (I stay away from these because of the safety factor and this sport being something my kids and I do together). There are man made courses in wasau wi, southbend in, a few in IA, Springfield OH, one in MI and another in the making, etc. There's even one in Yorkville IL. But Chicagoland needs another one. The city of Chicago should have one.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 AM

306 posts, read 365,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I could post hundreds of photos of buff 20 somethings and bikini-clad young women that burn through 1500 calorie hot yoga / spin / crossfit workouts getting ready to tan themselves and play volleyball after work and every weekend along the lakefront...
Yes, please do.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,184,453 times
Should this thread have been called, "should Chicago get a whitewater rafting course if physically possible"?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
You realize Illinois is the second-flattest state in the US, right? Not much can be done about that. If you want whitewater, go west or east to where the mountains are.
Wherever there are life threatening dams, there can be whitewater parks. Also, With some extra financing, even flat land can be used for a whitewater park.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default The "copyright crazed" moderator...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
Yes, please do.
...would have a conniption! There are literally more pages devoted those images on the photosharing sites about "Chicago Lakefront" than anything else. I could not find a single shuffleboard playing grandpa!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:01 AM

This pretty much sums up the need:

"You know, I could go out to the lake and spend all day fishing, and I'd be perfectly happy," he said. "But the younger generation wants to have more kinds of activity when they go out."

"The proposal being discussed calls for a manmade whitewater rafting and kayaking facility, rock climbing, zip lines and other activities. That kind of development was specifically outlined in Brownback's "Roadmap 2.0" agenda when he ran for re-election in 2014.

"It's totally been initiated by us," Jennison said.

Jennison acknowledged that the facility would be a radical departure from the way the state park is managed now.

"You know, I could go out to the lake and spend all day fishing, and I'd be perfectly happy," he said. "But the younger generation wants to have more kinds of activity when they go out."

Old 03-23-2017, 11:18 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,522 times
Quote:
Wherever there are life threatening dams, there can be whitewater parks. Also, With some extra financing, even flat land can be used for a whitewater park.
Sure. Or, ya know, you could move to one of the hundreds of places in the US with awesome natural whitewater instead of demanding that it be artificially brought to you in the flatlands. What a bizarre thing to obsess over. If this is the main thing you care about, why choose to live in a place that doesn't naturally have it? This is like complaining that Utah doesn't have good surfing or Florida doesn't have good snow skiing.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:24 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,522 times
Quote:
Exactly. Chicago has a lot of beer! Swell! What does it have for younger people who want to stay in shape?
Miles and miles and miles of lakefront paths, bike trails, and rails-to-trails? Gyms and fitness centers of every type in nearly every neighborhood? All sorts of paddleboarding, kayaking, and other water activities? Hiking trails just outside of the city in every direction? Parks in every neighborhood? There is certainly no shortage of young, in-shape people in Chicago. It sounds as if the city is just lacking the ONE thing you like to do to stay in-shape. You really should have created a thread about that single topic. Better yet, do something to advocate for that single topic in Chicago, or move to someplace that has it. Generalizing your unique niche fetish to entire demographics of the city just makes you look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago