Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 07:01 PM

796 posts, read 930,815 times

Advertisements

I'll be leaving in a month myself. I lost my job in april, and then the job I was offered in chicago paid like 20K less than my previous job.

then a few weeks later, I was offered a job in texas that pays 10K more than my previous job. and since my wife is already down there, it's pretty much a no brainer what to do.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:08 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
I'll be leaving in a month myself. I lost my job in april, and then the job I was offered in chicago paid like 20K less than my previous job.

then a few weeks later, I was offered a job in texas that pays 10K more than my previous job. and since my wife is already down there, it's pretty much a no brainer what to do.

Congrats on your new job and your move!

Old 06-03-2017, 09:10 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
Quote:

where in Texas? That was my second choice after Phoenix

Old 06-03-2017, 10:16 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:

Congrats!

I moved to Chicago from Texas. I miss some things from Texas, but other things I like better in Chicago.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:17 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
My point was that all major cities have densely populated trendy neighborhoods. The poster was saying that other cities don't have neighborhoods like lakeview and that's why Chicago is better.
I lived in (and loved) Lakeview for 20 years, then moved back to my native Cleveland a couple years ago due to financial and other pressures. Although there are pockets of the city that can be regarded as hip and trendy areas, I can't find any place that quite compares to Lakeview here. The trendiest neighborhoods in Cleveland offer at most a hint of what I enjoyed in Chicago. And the density isn't really there, either.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. I get funny looks when I venture further south. If I take the red line past Sox 35, I am often the only white person on the train.

I've gotten the head to toe staredown before, as well as the "what are you doing here" look. I think most of the time it's just a surprised look.
Yep. I have experienced that, too, and a simply think it's a matter of curiosity. Unfortunately, when we've managed to segregate our city to the point that some neighborhoods are 95% Black, anyone else is going to stand out.

Old 06-04-2017, 09:13 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I lived in (and loved) Lakeview for 20 years, then moved back to my native Cleveland a couple years ago due to financial and other pressures. Although there are pockets of the city that can be regarded as hip and trendy areas, I can't find any place that quite compares to Lakeview here. The trendiest neighborhoods in Cleveland offer at most a hint of what I enjoyed in Chicago. And the density isn't really there, either.
Yeah, there's trendy and then there's trendy. What's the difference? Look at food: Detroit, the second largest metro area in the region, has three Yelp pages for poke... Chicago has 29 pages. Detroit has 10 pages for bubble tea, Chicago has 44. You can't just attribute that to volume, those things were trendy in Chicago years and years before they migrated a mere 4 hours down I-94. For smaller cities like Cleveland, you get even fewer results.

Places like Indy, Cleveland, St. Louis, etc. have their trendy bits. But they will never be as trendy as Lakeview, just like they won't be as trendy as Brooklyn or Echo Park or San Francisco. There is a hierarchy of American cities and only Chicago, among it's regional peers, is in the top tier and it shows. If you can't tell the difference, you probably weren't much apart of that scene anyway, in which case more power to you in following your bliss.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:14 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Andrew you sound like me. It's part of the reason I can't seem to leave Virginia. Yes, we have some trendy, hipster, bourgeois, neighborhoods, and things get even better in DC and even better in Philadelphia and even better in NYC. So why would you ever want to leave the Coast? People act like it is a privilege to live here; if you were born here, maybe you can't afford to leave?

But at the end of the day I should be living someplace like Cleveland I can actually afford. Paying over 80% of your income to stay somewhere gets old after a while. People look down on Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh. But at least one can afford to live in those places and afford to have some money to play, instead of just hearing about what great time everyone else had. Tourists come to this area and do stuff I never think to do and I live here.

Enjoy what Cleveland has to offer. If you want more, go back to Chicago again and pay the cost.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If you are a black person living in the city of Chicago you pick your poison. Do you want to live around ghetto black people or racist white people? This is how it is with very few exceptions. The way I see it, the only thing worse than a ghetto black person is a racist white one. So, I pick the south side for now. That may change though, the way things are going.
I live in Edgewater. It is diverse and I love it here. Maybe it is the exception as you say and I have only been back for a couple of months now. But so far everyone has been pleasant to me regardless of ethnicity and I am enjoying my neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:51 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Andrew you sound like me. It's part of the reason I can't seem to leave Virginia. Yes, we have some trendy, hipster, bourgeois, neighborhoods, and things get even better in DC and even better in Philadelphia and even better in NYC. So why would you ever want to leave the Coast? People act like it is a privilege to live here; if you were born here, maybe you can't afford to leave?

But at the end of the day I should be living someplace like Cleveland I can actually afford. Paying over 80% of your income to stay somewhere gets old after a while. People look down on Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh. But at least one can afford to live in those places and afford to have some money to play, instead of just hearing about what great time everyone else had. Tourists come to this area and do stuff I never think to do and I live here.

Enjoy what Cleveland has to offer. If you want more, go back to Chicago again and pay the cost.
I was just telling my neighbor about this. St. Louis and St. Louis type of cities, just aren't t big enough to have that type of big city experience of Lakeview and other premium big city neighborhoods.

In a way, I don't have to have it. If I have fun places to go, good restaurants and can afford to save for retirement while living in a neighborhood that is fun, I am happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago