Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2022, 07:39 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times

Advertisements

Kmanshouse, Sir:

Unless I am MIS-READING, I see on Fox News:

Chicago records bloodiest memorial Day weekend in 5 years: At least 50 shot, 9 dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 07:46 AM

I brought my eldest to Mole de Mayo in Pilsen on Sunday. We dined at Ignotz's in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood afterwards ( I know! I know! Why did we NOT eat all that great Mexican food while we were there!).

I came back down on Monday with all my kids. We had a very PEACEFUL nature exploration time in the North Park Village Center. Then we went to the Square in Lincoln Square. Finally, we checked out all the turtles in Indian Boundary Park, before heading back to Milwaukee.

So, all I can say is I had a great and safe time in Chicago this weekend! The truth is, there is NO reason why some other people could not do likewise.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:56 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,849,701 times
I feel like the majority of the really bad stuff that happens is between 11:30pm and 3am. Not that danger can't happen during the day, but you greatly reduce your chances of being a victim when you aren't out late at night.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:04 AM

Kmanshouse, when I reflect on the 2 occasions I had where someone got right up in my face in an aggressive manner, 1 was in the afternoon in Lincoln Square. 1 was very close to that 11:30 p.m. mark you mentioned, and I was at the Howard stop of the Red Line.

And last year when I assisted the man that was shot and carjacked was early nighttime, in Fall, in Norwood Park.

So lesson for all: "things" can happen anywhere and anytime, technically.

But you are right that "things" are going to happen when it is easier to victimize, hide, etc. due to the late hours. Not to mention, the later in the night can suggest more and more substances that are being ingested before someone does something stupid, in some instances.

Live life to the fullest, everyone. Don't live in fear. Life safely! Live smart!!

Old 06-01-2022, 09:25 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, Sir:

Unless I am MIS-READING, I see on Fox News:

Chicago records bloodiest memorial Day weekend in 5 years: At least 50 shot, 9 dead.
More like in just 2 years. Looks like they had forgotten about Memorial Day weekend 2020, when some 28 were killed with 18 on May 31st alone.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:49 AM

Chicagoland60426, I sum it up in one word:

YIKES!

Old 06-02-2022, 01:00 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,213,322 times
Is the gang situation in Chicago as severe as it is portrayed in the media?

Old 06-02-2022, 05:55 PM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Is the gang situation in Chicago as severe as it is portrayed in the media?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNzFQ4PNZXQ&t=79s

Old 06-02-2022, 09:46 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,213,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

Old 06-03-2022, 07:05 AM

Good morning, wishing you all well.

And here in Milwaukee, apparently there is a documentary on a group of youth called "The Kia Boys" who show someone filming them how easy it is to steal cars and then go on a riding spree.

Soooooo, if all these characters are on film, shouldn't that be an easy open-and-shut case???? I mean, I DO work in the court and Jail system, and it is hard to deny a crime when you are ON FILM COMMITTING IT!

But, I think as many of you have complained (and rightfully so), it seems to be the case that so many get released, and ABSOLUTELY NO Lesson was learned.

Oh trust me, I have to maintain a professional and personal composure. But boy does it irk me when we have an inmate who is released on Probation/Parole on a closed case, and yet has an OPEN case on pending charge(s), and then is brought in here, RE-ARRESTED on new charges!!!!!!!!

If you think about it, it is akin to people who we might call "bad" or "ineffective" parents: Those who are warning their kids to curb their bad behavior who they are going to be in trouble if they do it ONE more time (as they say it for the 10th time!).

Listen, I love children and completely believe in positive reinforcement... One day, before a Tae Kwon Do class, a parent had told me that their child had given a bad attitude to them as well as to a teacher that day. I informed the parent that I would conduct a "public flogging." I started class, called the child in front of the class, informed the class what this child did wrong, made him remove his belt, and go to the back of the class behind his lower level belt classmates. This was on a Monday.... the next class he was given his belt back and allowed to return to his spot because I had informed everyone that he could return if I had heard better stories on Wednesday.

So in a nutshell, parents/teachers/Tae Kwon Do Instructors, etc. NEED to be present and be BACKED up to conduct appropriate and immediate punishment when necessary, ALONG WITH personal and public positive reinforcement when they DO do something well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago