Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 08:09 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

NOW HEAR THIS: Prior warnings not to initiate new threads about crime in Chicago have not been heeded for the most part. This thread will be the new home for all discussions concerning crime in Chicago.

Please post your crime-related comments here.

Any new threads started re: Chicago crime will be merged into this thread.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:51 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Well that's just criminal!!!

But makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 10:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Unfortunately the CTA bus driver who was beaten by a group of teens in the Loop has received lots of negative media attention:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7chi...lice/11302831/

These incidents are tarnishing Chicago’s reputation. The violent crime numbers used to not have a huge impact because incidents downtown where tourists are were rare. In the last year and a half there has been more violence in the “nice” downtown areas than I can remember in my 10+ years in the city.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:07 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Please forward to the 8:50 mark in the vid, as it's certainly valid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7RgqngPUnw
Kim Foxx seems to the issue, and police arresting the same people over and over...to the point they don't want to arrest anyone.
As their time is simply being wasting by lack of prosecution and no bail etc.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:56 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Unfortunately the CTA bus driver who was beaten by a group of teens in the Loop has received lots of negative media attention:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7chi...lice/11302831/

These incidents are tarnishing Chicago’s reputation. The violent crime numbers used to not have a huge impact because incidents downtown where tourists are were rare. In the last year and a half there has been more violence in the “nice” downtown areas than I can remember in my 10+ years in the city.

I know. I am a big fan of Chicago and am trying to stay positive throughout this, but that news story was extremely discouraging. (Not that the other news stories have been great, either, don't get me wrong. But when the transit drivers are in danger, that feels like we are sunk.)

Old 12-06-2021, 12:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Hmm, the remake of Death Wish was "set" in Chicago.

Is THAT really what would it take to "take a bite out of crime"?

Old 12-09-2021, 06:58 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
This is really sick and sad:

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shoo...yner/11315148/

22 shots!? What the deuce was this guy on??? On a harmless, innocent old man of all people.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:10 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Yet with all the rampant smash and grab theft that is going on, Mayor Lightfoot is seemingly losing it by blaming the retailers for failing to set up working cameras and beefing up security for their own stores.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/li...mash-and-grabs

This my Chicago friends, is a symptom of losing control of one's responsibilities. I liken it to the instance where a long term substitute teacher in a Boston high school years ago failed to properly manage the classroom until it was too late and kids were throwing things around, breaking into fights, disrupting neighboring classrooms, and stealing things from each other and even the teacher. The overwhelmed sub resorted to blaming his own students for failing to report suspected perpetrators to him as if it was their responsibility to snitch on their fellow classmates in order to protect themselves. Just like classroom management, city management, especially controlling and preventing crime, requires agency. There is little time to think, only time to act. If the Mayor and her staff are still thinking about how to control the crime when the crime is already taking place, then it's too late.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Yet with all the rampant smash and grab theft that is going on, Mayor Lightfoot is seemingly losing it by blaming the retailers for failing to set up working cameras and beefing up security for their own stores.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/li...mash-and-grabs

This my Chicago friends, is a symptom of losing control of one's responsibilities. I liken it to the instance where a long term substitute teacher in a Boston high school years ago failed to properly manage the classroom until it was too late and kids were throwing things around, breaking into fights, disrupting neighboring classrooms, and stealing things from each other and even the teacher. The overwhelmed sub resorted to blaming his own students for failing to report suspected perpetrators to him as if it was their responsibility to snitch on their fellow classmates in order to protect themselves. Just like classroom management, city management, especially controlling and preventing crime, requires agency. There is little time to think, only time to act. If the Mayor and her staff are still thinking about how to control the crime when the crime is already taking place, then it's too late.
Yeah, my thing is, the “community-based, hands-off” approach where police take a hands off approach, you don’t go after criminals for theft under $1000, light sentences and a reform approach, have proven to be unsuccessful in cities all over the country. There is evidence all over the country that this isn’t working. We’ve seen more lawlessness in the last year and a half that I can ever remember. I can’t remember a time in this country where there has been so much lawlessness in downtowns and nice tourist areas. Criminals have become emboldened, and politicians have become brainwashed that cuddling criminals and not getting police involved is the right approach. Ask every major city in the country how that is working out.......

Old 12-12-2021, 05:16 PM

153 posts, read 416,430 times
Everytime I see reports of these shootings or robberies at gunpoint, it’s the SAME vehicle descriptions. I think it’s the same criminals that are running around doing the same crime throughout the city. And noone catches them. And if they do they’re set free. We need to vote out Lightfoot, Foxx, the chief of police needs to go, all of them!

And I’m a Democrat but I’d even vote for a Republican at this point because what good is it living in a city when I can’t even live my daily life without fear of being killed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago