Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2023, 04:54 PM

291 posts, read 201,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
And to talk even more candidly about the statistics, the term POC is shielding the truth......the VAST majority of victims of violent crime in Chicago are BLACK, despite them being less than 30% of the population.

https://news.wttw.com/2023/01/04/chi...ng-highest-90s
I thought as of the pandemic much of the south side crime has moved into the north side and surrounding nice areas, so that many victims of robbery/carjackings/shootings/rapes are everyday people? Is that not the case anymore?

Old 01-12-2023, 05:09 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I thought as of the pandemic much of the south side crime has moved into the north side and surrounding nice areas, so that many victims of robbery/carjackings/shootings/rapes are everyday people? Is that not the case anymore?
I think there has definitely been a lot more crime that has seeped into downtown and the north side, but it has thankfully been more robberies/carjackings rather than violent crimes (deaths/shootings). So while it definitely doesn’t feel as “safe,” it thankfully hasn’t resulted in a lot of victims of violent crime.

The shooting victims and homicide victims are still overwhelming black. The many Latino neighborhoods haven’t had much change in “violent crime” either. Even post-pandemic, it has sadly been mostly black victims.

Old 01-13-2023, 07:08 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
The sadder part about it is that Chicago is losing black population, and it's not the ones involved in this kind of crap. So the percentage of black Chicagoans that remain that are involved in these crimes keeps going up, and the black population that remains that are good citizens are going down.

Old 01-13-2023, 10:27 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
I think there has definitely been a lot more crime that has seeped into downtown and the north side, but it has thankfully been more robberies/carjackings rather than violent crimes (deaths/shootings). So while it definitely doesn’t feel as “safe,” it thankfully hasn’t resulted in a lot of victims of violent crime.

The shooting victims and homicide victims are still overwhelming black. The many Latino neighborhoods haven’t had much change in “violent crime” either. Even post-pandemic, it has sadly been mostly black victims.
Robberies and carjackings literally are violent crimes, by definition.

Old 01-13-2023, 03:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Robberies and carjackings literally are violent crimes, by definition.
Yeah, was trying to differentiate from shootings/homicides. Why I reiterated “shooting and homicide victims” in the next sentence.

Old 01-13-2023, 09:29 PM

219 posts, read 135,330 times
Quote:
And to talk even more candidly about the statistics, the term POC is shielding the truth......the VAST majority of victims of violent crime in Chicago are BLACK, despite them being less than 30% of the population.

https://news.wttw.com/2023/01/04/chi...ng-highest-90s
Quote:
So Black people or south siders are not "everyday people" What does that even mean?

Old 01-14-2023, 01:28 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,217,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
So Black people or south siders are not "everyday people" What does that even mean?
This is typically code for this only happens to "those people," and as long as you're not "one of those people," you'll be ok.

I'm not going to say what I really want to say, or I'll get a violation.

Old 01-14-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't expect a law abiding, contributing member of society to get shot up on north side Chicago.

You would expect it to happen on south side since that's where the majority of gangs, drug dealers, and criminals reside.

That's what I mean.

"Everyday people" means people like me who have never committed a crime in their life and are contributing members to society. It would be a shock for me to end up on the news as a victim of a shooting because I generally stay away from situations that expose me to that type of behavior.

You could certainly interpret it as me saying "black people only get shot so it's ok" but I'm not white myself, I'm a minority. That wasn't what I was saying. If I WAS saying that though, I wouldn't try to downplay it, for what it's worth, I'd say it plainly. I don't believe in sugarcoating.

Old 01-14-2023, 09:01 PM

219 posts, read 135,330 times
Quote:
You wouldn't expect a law abiding, contributing member of society to get shot up on north side Chicago.

You would expect it to happen on south side since that's where the majority of gangs, drug dealers, and criminals reside.

That's what I mean.

"Everyday people" means people like me who have never committed a crime in their life and are contributing members to society. It would be a shock for me to end up on the news as a victim of a shooting because I generally stay away from situations that expose me to that type of behavior.

You could certainly interpret it as me saying "black people only get shot so it's ok" but I'm not white myself, I'm a minority. That wasn't what I was saying. If I WAS saying that though, I wouldn't try to downplay it, for what it's worth, I'd say it plainly. I don't believe in sugarcoating.
The comment you replied to was about Black people getting shot. Believe it or not, there are a lot of everyday people on the south side. I grew up on the southside, I should know. You being non white doesn't make your comment or assumptions right.

Old 01-14-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The comment you replied to was about Black people getting shot. Believe it or not, there are a lot of everyday people on the south side. I grew up on the southside, I should know. You being non white doesn't make your comment or assumptions right.
I don't care.

I am tired of people crying racism every single chance they get. I have friends (some black) that live on the south side. Good people, all of them. If they get shot though? Wouldn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago