Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2023, 07:29 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,757,763 times

Advertisements

Former Chicago resident here. I miss the walkability, the public transit, the open minded and worldly people, and the architecture. But overall the Dallas area is safer, more affordable, and doesn't have rampant corruption.

Old 01-15-2023, 09:04 PM

817 posts, read 641,952 times
Chicago is the most declining city in America population wise, when climate change ramps up the Great Lakes region will regain population

Old 01-16-2023, 08:48 AM

555 posts, read 418,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Chicago is the most declining city in America population wise,
We just heard this for an entire decade only to find out the inverse was true.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:39 AM

3,958 posts, read 6,892,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
The comment you replied to was about Black people getting shot. Believe it or not, there are a lot of everyday people on the south side. I grew up on the southside, I should know. You being non white doesn't make your comment or assumptions right.
I tried to find any statistics I could on how many gang affiliated homicides there are in the city. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything concrete and it's likely that it's a hard stat to really produce because gangs tend to be tight lipped.

I can see how saying "everyday people" can be offensive, but I also know what the poster is saying. Those people referring to those who live among and exist within communities that are known for high violence. The fact is true that a vast majority of homicides occur within 5 districts, here are the stats I was able to locate on the subject:

"In 2021 Chicago police districts 5, 6, 11, 12 and 15 accounted for 42% of the city's homicides."

"The following neighborhoods are at least partially in these five districts: Auburn Gresham, Austin, Chatham, East Garfield Park, Humboldt Park, Near West Side, Pullman, Roseland, West Garfield Park, West Pullman and West Town."

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/crai...ety-inequality
This is actually a great read for anyone who wants to understand the causes of Chicago's violence and who is impacted the most.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:19 PM

219 posts, read 139,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I tried to find any statistics I could on how many gang affiliated homicides there are in the city. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything concrete and it's likely that it's a hard stat to really produce because gangs tend to be tight lipped.

I can see how saying "everyday people" can be offensive, but I also know what the poster is saying. Those people referring to those who live among and exist within communities that are known for high violence. The fact is true that a vast majority of homicides occur within 5 districts, here are the stats I was able to locate on the subject:

"In 2021 Chicago police districts 5, 6, 11, 12 and 15 accounted for 42% of the city's homicides."

"The following neighborhoods are at least partially in these five districts: Auburn Gresham, Austin, Chatham, East Garfield Park, Humboldt Park, Near West Side, Pullman, Roseland, West Garfield Park, West Pullman and West Town."

This is actually a great read for anyone who wants to understand the causes of Chicago's violence and who is impacted the most.
"Those people" are everyday people. I grew up on the South and west side. Most of the people I grew up with are "Everyday people" whatever the hell that means.

Old 01-17-2023, 07:09 PM

3,958 posts, read 6,892,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
"Those people" are everyday people. I grew up on the South and west side. Most of the people I grew up with are "Everyday people" whatever the hell that means.
He was using everyday people to describe people who live outside of highly dangerous areas. "Those people" who live there are likely much poorer than the average person and know they live in a highly dangerous area. Obviously that's what he is saying and yes, I do see how it is offensive. But that's what he meant.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:36 AM

78,944 posts, read 61,126,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

I've heard many times over the years from the Chicago Police Dept. that they estimate it's around 75%.

Specifically 75% are gang/drug related.

Since domestic shootings are one of the next big drivers and we all know that folks with short tempers that have guns around are often the ones that end up shooting a brother in law or cousin or girlfriend like we just saw at that bar shooting.

So, I'd probably think that closer to 85% or so of all shootings have a gang member pulling the trigger for various motivations.

P.S. Well aware that these numbers may be off a bit as it's kinda at the discretion of the CPD in some cases of people being shot. Like if you're minding your own business and someone thinks you look like some other gang member or you just happen to be standing in line next to a gang member and catch errant fire.

Last edited by Mathguy; 01-18-2023 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-18-2023, 09:57 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,789,494 times
I must be old. I can still remember when communities such as Jeffrey Manor, Roseland and W. Rogers Park were completely safe and thriving with local businesses and near NO crime. Boy things sure can change in 55 years At least I have memories of when it was like that. I don't care to reflect on the current state of its existence.

Old 01-19-2023, 05:49 AM

4,681 posts, read 3,340,878 times
dcisive, good morning, you ol' timer, you, and Happy New Year!!!

The first time I ever heard of the Roseland neighborhood was when I was working in the Milwaukee County Jail, and an inmate was arrested in Milwaukee, but a resident of Chicago. I had to evaluate him, and I remember his address was S. 100-something. I remember asking him what was the name of the area, and he said: Roseland... I later, in my desire to always learn more about Chicago, looked up Roseland. Apparently, it had had a rather good size Italian community, at one point. That is all I know, ither than to say that YES, it sounds more dangerous than it did in those prior times.

As far as W. Rogers Park, what is it that you heard about changes? I still go there/go through there often, and I never really felt or saw anything that caught my negative attention...

Old 01-19-2023, 08:25 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,893,051 times
My dad was born and raised in Roseland. The family moved out in the late 60s, I believe, when my grandmother witnessed a rape and people started bashing out car windows. That was in the late 60s.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago