Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2023, 07:50 PM

253 posts, read 123,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
CBOTfan, you made it sound rather poetic and beautiful!

THANK YOU
Ha - thanks! I guess it made me realize that while I was snug in bed, the city was still active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2023, 07:54 PM

4,645 posts, read 3,254,543 times
CBOTfan, and you know what?!

It was rather nice to hear a comment made, depicting a pleasant vibe of Chicago!

Thank you, for that.

Old 11-01-2023, 09:23 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
I think the novelty would have worn off quickly if you had pulled the trigger on that one. My last condo in Andersonville was 4 blocks west and 2 blocks north of the Berwyn station. On quiet winter nights, I could hear the soft rumble of the train approaching the station, followed shortly by the "ding dong" warning of closing doors, then the soft rumble as it took off for the next station. It was sort of comforting.
I think you're right about that. The apartment wouldn't have worked for us regardless (It was billed as a 1bdr but was actually a studio)
I can also relate to the comforting sound of distant trains. I live in the perfect spot for that now (for 18 years now!) surrounded by, but not crowded by, train tracks on all sides so the distant sound of train horns or the rumbling on the tracks is a comfort to me at night that I really appreciate.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:36 PM

85 posts, read 46,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
I think the novelty would have worn off quickly if you had pulled the trigger on that one. My last condo in Andersonville was 4 blocks west and 2 blocks north of the Berwyn station. On quiet winter nights, I could hear the soft rumble of the train approaching the station, followed shortly by the "ding dong" warning of closing doors, then the soft rumble as it took off for the next station. It was sort of comforting.
Depends on how well your building/house was constructed. Lived directly next to the red line (though I was on the other side of the building from the tracks) and wouldn't have known it was there unless the balcony door was open.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:18 PM

253 posts, read 123,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I can also relate to the comforting sound of distant trains. I live in the perfect spot for that now (for 18 years now!) surrounded by, but not crowded by, train tracks on all sides so the distant sound of train horns or the rumbling on the tracks is a comfort to me at night that I really appreciate.

Yes, agreed. It took me awhile to figure out why I would sometimes hear freight train horns in the middle of the night. It never occurred to me that UP freight trains would be on the same tracks used by the UP North Metra line, but then Chicago IS the big rail hub.

Old 11-18-2023, 09:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 497,880 times
Outside of the downtown area what are some busy commercial streets in Chicago? Lots of stores and restaurants etc?

Old 11-19-2023, 07:25 AM

474 posts, read 530,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Outside of the downtown area what are some busy commercial streets in Chicago? Lots of stores and restaurants etc?
Off the top of my head:
  • Damen / North / Milwaukee in Wicker Park, and Milwaukee Avenue in general
  • Clark / Diversey in Lakeview
  • Clark Street in Andersonville
  • Halsted Street in Boystown and Lincoln Park
  • Armitage and Lincoln Avenues in Lincoln Park
  • Southport corridor off the Brown Line
  • Devon Avenue in West Ridge
  • 26th Street in Little Village
  • 18th Street in Pilsen
  • Cermak and Wentworth in Chinatown
  • 53rd Street in Hyde Park

Old 11-19-2023, 08:17 AM

247 posts, read 236,668 times
Born and raised in the western Chicago suburbs, and I’ve lived in the Oak Park area now for more than 20 years. I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of exploring Chicago’s neighborhoods — so much history and diverse backgrounds that make up the tapestry of this city. But folks have varying interests and vacation differently, so it all depends on expectations.

Old 11-19-2023, 09:02 AM

7,811 posts, read 3,817,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
"Lots of stores and restaurants etc" is not the opposite of boring.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:10 AM

4,645 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Luisito80, outside of the downtown, in Chicago, ahhhhhh, you basically follow any main street. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago