Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2023, 08:43 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post

One thing to add to your list: Downtown contains many wonderful early 20th century buildings with ornate lobbies. You can still step inside many of them (if not able to get as far as the elevator lobbies).
I was considering taking Amtrak to Milwaukee for a day trip, but with only four days, I think walking around inside Union Station and just taking pictures will suffice. I also want to go inside the CME, but I don't think you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2023, 09:38 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,252,251 times
As the Representante of Milwaukee, I must support the Milwaukee idea trip!

The truth is, you could never be bored for 3 or 4 days, just in the city of Chicago.

It's a great city, and the people are wonderful.

I have introduced my fellow Milwaukeeans to many of the various neighborhoods.

My current plan is to come down this weekend with my brother and his sons, to go bicycle riding. THAT is the best way to explore the city.

Have a great time!

Old 10-09-2023, 05:33 AM

253 posts, read 123,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I was considering taking Amtrak to Milwaukee for a day trip, but with only four days, I think walking around inside Union Station and just taking pictures will suffice. I also want to go inside the CME, but I don't think you can.
Yes, you can step inside the Chicago Board of Trade Building, as there are a couple of dining spots that are accessed inside of or downstairs from the lobby. This lobby is more streamlined Art Deco, if I am correctly categorizing it, but well worth taking a look. The positioning of the building - at a T-intersection - gives you unobstructed views of the wonderful setbacks, clock, and allegorical sculptures.

I have taken many day trips from Chicago to Milwaukee via the Hiawatha train. Since there are so many roundtrips between the 2 cities, you wouldn't need a full day if you want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Maybe leave Chicago in the morning, once in Milwaukee, walk Wisconsin Avenue over to the Art Museum, meander back through downtown and down to the 3rd Ward for lunch, then walk back to the intermodal station to catch a return train to Chicago. If you don't fit this in, you will at least be able to get some great pictures of Chicago Union Station (the Great Hall).

Last edited by CBOTfan; 10-09-2023 at 05:46 AM..

Old 10-09-2023, 06:42 AM

253 posts, read 123,128 times
Quote:
. . . . walking around inside Union Station and just taking pictures will suffice.

Speaking of train stations, about 3-4 blocks straight north from Union Station is Ogilvie Station. East across the street from this (alongside the river) is the former Daily News Building, another Art Deco gem. Enter Ogilvie Station via the Riverside Plaza entrance of the Daily News Building for additional streamlined deco interiors.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
Yes, you can step inside the Chicago Board of Trade Building, as there are a couple of dining spots that are accessed inside of or downstairs from the lobby. This lobby is more streamlined Art Deco, if I am correctly categorizing it, but well worth taking a look. The positioning of the building - at a T-intersection - gives you unobstructed views of the wonderful setbacks, clock, and allegorical sculptures.

I have taken many day trips from Chicago to Milwaukee via the Hiawatha train. Since there are so many roundtrips between the 2 cities, you wouldn't need a full day if you want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Maybe leave Chicago in the morning, once in Milwaukee, walk Wisconsin Avenue over to the Art Museum, meander back through downtown and down to the 3rd Ward for lunch, then walk back to the intermodal station to catch a return train to Chicago. If you don't fit this in, you will at least be able to get some great pictures of Chicago Union Station (the Great Hall).
If I do this, it will be the 610 AM departure, a few hours in MKE, then back in Chicago by 1230. Its tempting if anything just to say I've rode Amtrak outside of southern California, but I've already got a very full itinerary (select delis, diners, coffee joints, historical buildings in addition to mainstream attractions). The Art Institute could be a half day (of four) by itself.

One thing for sure is that I'm walking a minimum 10 miles per day. Have to do something to hedge against all that Chicago food and drink that I"m pretending that I'll enjoy "in moderation."

Old 10-10-2023, 12:12 AM

946 posts, read 566,069 times
Chicago is a lot of things.

Boring is NOT one of them...

Old 10-10-2023, 08:32 AM

Losfrisco, do you like to check out the "ethnic neighborhoods"?

Old 10-10-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Losfrisco, do you like to check out the "ethnic neighborhoods"?
Yes, planning those out now. I know there's an L stop at Chinatown so that's a definite.

Old 10-10-2023, 12:10 PM

Losfrico, You shall enjoy the shops and restaurants in Chinatown. A good place to take pictures, too.

If you can, check out one of my favorite neighborhoods, Lincoln Square. Take the Brown line to Western Avenue. Get out, head north and east to the 1 way section of Lincoln Avenue!

Old 10-15-2023, 04:46 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
If I do this, it will be the 610 AM departure, a few hours in MKE, then back in Chicago by 1230. Its tempting if anything just to say I've rode Amtrak outside of southern California, but I've already got a very full itinerary (select delis, diners, coffee joints, historical buildings in addition to mainstream attractions). The Art Institute could be a half day (of four) by itself.

One thing for sure is that I'm walking a minimum 10 miles per day. Have to do something to hedge against all that Chicago food and drink that I"m pretending that I'll enjoy "in moderation."
As someone who's been to Milwaukee numerous times before, I'd stay for a little more time than just the time proposed here, if you asked me. At least for like 2-4 hours more. Especially to explore the area near Brady and Farwell, on the northeast side of Milwaukee. I always really liked going to Von Trier, and getting a beer and relaxing there. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago