Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 10:10 PM

253 posts, read 197,718 times

Advertisements

I've been a homer all my life. Have Chicago tattoo'd on me.
So no I'm not hating.
But a co-worker a month ago told me how she visited Chicago and was bored after 2 days.
She did the itinerary stuff and asked me if we all just go to museums. In jest.

I was like... umm

Anyway she did the river cruise, museums, Navy Pier, etc
The classics.

But it got me thinking... Chicago's attractions are very centralized which is beneficial obviously. But it does kind of stop people from exploring beyond.

So 1.) Is Chicago boring compared to most big cities?
2.) What would you recommend to people outside of downtown?

Obviously it depends on what people enjoy... hobbies... history... architecture.. etc.

But general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 11:13 PM

23 posts, read 20,190 times
Haven't visited Chicago yet, but I don't think the third largest city in the country would bore you in just two days. That's surely not enough time to see all of the attractions in Chicago. There should be phethora of things to do that would keep you entertained or ”not bored” for at least a week or two. I'm curious now, because I'm looking to visit downtown next year.

How long did it take for Chicago to "bore" you?

Old 08-21-2023, 05:39 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
I've been a homer all my life. Have Chicago tattoo'd on me.
So no I'm not hating.
But a co-worker a month ago told me how she visited Chicago and was bored after 2 days.
She did the itinerary stuff and asked me if we all just go to museums. In jest.

I was like... umm

Anyway she did the river cruise, museums, Navy Pier, etc
The classics.

But it got me thinking... Chicago's attractions are very centralized which is beneficial obviously. But it does kind of stop people from exploring beyond.

So 1.) Is Chicago boring compared to most big cities?
2.) What would you recommend to people outside of downtown?

Obviously it depends on what people enjoy... hobbies... history... architecture.. etc.

But general
s

Many individuals have limited interests and are often "bored". It sounds like she might have the intellect of a mosquito, so hardly a judge as to whether Chicago is boring or not

Old 08-21-2023, 05:46 AM

441 posts, read 227,367 times
Imagine being bored during a summer in Chicago, insane, that woman has no idea what she's talking about. Literally activities going on all throughout the summer. Even in the suburbs.

Old 08-21-2023, 05:59 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Calesacult: I can't NOT think of the movie, "The Three Amigos" when you say the word, "plethora..."

kyle19125: Please don't say "mosquito"..... We haven't had them bad, so far, this summer!!!! I'd like to keep it that way. That's ANOTHEWR word I don't want to think about

Chicago-guy: Ask your FUN-loving friend what SHE likes to do for fun, normally...... Maybe she's not a city-girl-type, but like all the others have commented: jeeeeeesh!!!!

Old 08-21-2023, 07:28 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
If I spent a few days mostly just doing the downtown museums and Navy Pier, I would likely find that a bit boring. I would probably need to space that stuff out for some variety personally. If she didn't find other things to do, then she didn't prepare well enough for the trip.

-There's no shortage of restaurants to try in the area in or out of downtown.
-Chinatown
-Chicago History Museum is a bit more unique IMO than say the Field Museum.
-Spend a day at the beach, or rent a car and drive an hour to Indiana Dunes
-Kayaking either on the lake or the Chicago River.
-I am not a Cubs fan, but it's still probably worth going to Wrigleyville for a little while if not seeing a game, ballpark tour, or viewing from a rooftop.
-Seeing a show at Second City is a pretty unique experience unless someone's visiting from NYC or LA.
-There's a ton of breweries in the city and suburbs to try
-A lot of really good pizza. There's pizza tours, but I'm not sure if they focus on more traditional "Chicago" establishments or more modern restaurants closer to tourist areas.
-Neighborhoods - it's worthwhile just to walk around a handful of neighborhoods outside of downtown/River North/South Loop/West Loop.
-Bike up and down the miles of the path along Lake Michigan

Old 08-21-2023, 07:33 AM

419 posts, read 220,015 times
Chicago is more exciting than even New York or London

Old 08-21-2023, 07:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
Invite your friend to create an account and then share her thoughts/experiences on her Chicago trip, on here.

Boy, I'd LOVE to hear that!

LOL

Old 08-21-2023, 07:48 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Sounds like your coworker either did the wrong things or has the attention span of a gnat.

Guessing no comedy or blues music was consumed? No beach? No baseball?

I will say I'm not a huge museum guy, so if I went to 2 museums in 2 days I likely wouldn't have had the best time.

Old 08-21-2023, 08:38 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
No, it's not boring by any stretch.

But, depending on one's individual interests it may not be on the same level as some other more historic major cities.

Chicago is quite "corporate"-feeling in some ways and isn't as old as the cities on the East Coast for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago