Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 10:50 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting for Elon Musk to reintroduce his BORING Company to Chicago. I assume that's really what is driving this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 05:44 AM

155 posts, read 266,122 times
My wife and I have always lived in rural areas in the south, and we love visiting big cities. The few times we’ve been to Chicago we’ve had a blast. Y’all have a great town. Looking forward to the next visit.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:22 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
To be honest, I'd say most parts of Chicago don't feel corporate to me. Unless you're say in the area east of O'Hare, or say like in Schaumburg(northwest suburbs w/IKEA, Woodfield Mall, etc). And I won't deny the area near Wrigley Field(sadly to say) feels pretty corporate, nowadays.

I'd say other metro areas I've been to had more of a corporate feel, than Chicago. Such as Atlanta, and DC. I'm NOT saying everything about Atlanta and DC was bland and corporate, just that these areas didn't seem as interesting to me as Chicago. Although there are some good local places to eat in both cities(The Vortex and also Varsity for Atlanta, Ben's Chili Bowl for DC, and probably more.....).
I think Chicago is very "corporate" in terms of its economy and work atmosphere in the sense that most people work for a major corporation.

Now, you might think that most major cities are like this, but I would disagree, in the sense that many other major US cities have a higher percentage of the workforce in various economic sectors where there is not a limited "mold" one must fit in.

This ranges from tech startups (where it can be very casual and people working remotely) to entertainment to university research and/or research and development spinoffs, government, politics, non-profits (like DC). Chicago has a lower percentage of this stuff, and a higher percent of people working for major banks, financial institutions, established corporate offices, enough to the point where it does seem that Chicagoans are curious, even a little nosey and judgmental about a career that is not necessarily 9-5 and have a limited concept of what professionalism looks like because a lot of Chicagoans can easily not get any exposure to non-traditional white collared career paths.

Old 10-04-2023, 08:01 AM

23 posts, read 20,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Pretty good system! I've been to all of those cities multiple times (actually lived in 3 of them) and would generally agree with you with some tweaks. For me London and NYC are both 7.5s. Rome is a 5 for me, Paris a 6. LA is a 4, Boston is a solid 4 and Toronto a solid 3 as are SF and Philly. To this list I would add Rio as a 4.5, HK as a 5, Mexico City is a 4, Dalloustonlantanix are 2s (on a good day) and last, and certainly far from least, is Chicago at maybe a 5 or 5.5. If all we had were the architecture and the museums I don't see how anyone could be bored for that amount of time. The restaurant, theatre, cultural organizations, live music scenes are ridiculously extensive and (more than London/NYC) accessible.
I want to add São Paulo and give it a solid 6. The city seems to stretch on forever with 30K + mid-highrise buildings and has the fourth largest city proper in the world.

Last edited by Calesacult; 10-04-2023 at 08:09 AM..

Old 10-07-2023, 07:42 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
If I spent a few days mostly just doing the downtown museums and Navy Pier, I would likely find that a bit boring. I would probably need to space that stuff out for some variety personally. If she didn't find other things to do, then she didn't prepare well enough for the trip.

-There's no shortage of restaurants to try in the area in or out of downtown.
-Chinatown
-Chicago History Museum is a bit more unique IMO than say the Field Museum.
-Spend a day at the beach, or rent a car and drive an hour to Indiana Dunes
-Kayaking either on the lake or the Chicago River.
-I am not a Cubs fan, but it's still probably worth going to Wrigleyville for a little while if not seeing a game, ballpark tour, or viewing from a rooftop.
-Seeing a show at Second City is a pretty unique experience unless someone's visiting from NYC or LA.
-There's a ton of breweries in the city and suburbs to try
-A lot of really good pizza. There's pizza tours, but I'm not sure if they focus on more traditional "Chicago" establishments or more modern restaurants closer to tourist areas.
-Neighborhoods - it's worthwhile just to walk around a handful of neighborhoods outside of downtown/River North/South Loop/West Loop.
-Bike up and down the miles of the path along Lake Michigan
I'm glad I found this thread.

I"m prepping for my first ever trip to Chicago in two weeks (a four day stay), and I"m researching for a very detailed itinerary now. Will definitely go to Second City and can't wait to see what Chicago's comedy scene is like.

I've got all the obvious stuff (museums, river tour, observation deck, food tour) broken up over each day, now I'm looking for more off the beaten path type stuff to mix in. I've been watching Chicago set TV shows and movies for ideas.

People keep telling me "go in the summer", I live in a warm climate so I don't care about this, and to be honest I hope its cold when I get there.

Old 10-08-2023, 09:29 AM

253 posts, read 123,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
People keep telling me "go in the summer", I live in a warm climate so I don't care about this, and to be honest I hope its cold when I get there.
One thing is for sure: it will be typical cool October weather, which means you can be on the go all day long, and not get sweaty or over-heated or worn out. In fact, the cool temps will invigorate you. City trees turn color a little later than elsewhere in the metro, so not sure how much color there will actually be. Lastly, restaurants are changing over to their fall and winter menu, and after being on the go all day, a comfort meal might feel like just the thing.

One thing to add to your list: Downtown contains many wonderful early 20th century buildings with ornate lobbies. You can still step inside many of them (if not able to get as far as the elevator lobbies).

Old 10-08-2023, 10:36 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I think Chicago is very "corporate" in terms of its economy and work atmosphere in the sense that most people work for a major corporation.

Now, you might think that most major cities are like this, but I would disagree, in the sense that many other major US cities have a higher percentage of the workforce in various economic sectors where there is not a limited "mold" one must fit in.

This ranges from tech startups (where it can be very casual and people working remotely) to entertainment to university research and/or research and development spinoffs, government, politics, non-profits (like DC). Chicago has a lower percentage of this stuff, and a higher percent of people working for major banks, financial institutions, established corporate offices, enough to the point where it does seem that Chicagoans are curious, even a little nosey and judgmental about a career that is not necessarily 9-5 and have a limited concept of what professionalism looks like because a lot of Chicagoans can easily not get any exposure to non-traditional white collared career paths.
This is pretty true, what you are saying. I guess there are all kinds of various corporate jobs out there, even in bigger cities like Chicago. And true that you never know what kind of job, one may have. And that here(Chicago) isn't like one of those traditional Midwest factory towns, where many jobs were only for one or 2 types of factory plant jobs.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:46 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,376,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBOTfan View Post
City trees turn color a little later than elsewhere in the metro, so not sure how much color there will actually be. Lastly, restaurants are changing over to their fall and winter menu, and after being on the go all day, a comfort meal might feel like just the thing.

One thing to add to your list: Downtown contains many wonderful early 20th century buildings with ornate lobbies. You can still step inside many of them (if not able to get as far as the elevator lobbies).
I think for the last paragraph, you meant to say you can step into the lobby of a building to look, but not go up the elevator. Where for a lot of buildings, this is true.

And yes, true a lot of restaurants now have a seasonal fall menu. In case the OP is still reading new comments(and if you like ice cream and custard), Scooter's Frozen Custard is open all the way till 1 week after Thanksgiving. Just to note that 2 Friday days after that day(and 8 days after Thanksgiving), usually is their last day open each year. I always like stopping there, to get custard myself.

If one goes to Chinatown, I always like going to Chiu Quon Bakery for Chinese desserts. They are open year round, btw.

Old 10-08-2023, 04:53 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
It wasn't boring for Ferris Bueller so it shouldn't be boring to her.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:28 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
Chicago IS boring!

And I'm never speaking to Kmanshouse or quigboto, ever again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago