Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 AM

64 posts, read 273,370 times

Advertisements

i go to NY quite ofton, and really the city feel isnt all that much different.
the only thing that feels different between NY and CHI is that NY is much dirtier but CHI still gives me the same urban big city feel. LA on the other hand does not. its very spread out and everything outside of hollywoold and Beverly hills feels kinda ran down. like mexico. ill stay in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:05 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
If tourism is any indication, I think Chicago's doing pretty well. There seem to be droves of tourists snapping photos throughout downtown every day, lol. I think it's still a big vacation destination.

I think that a lot of people "diss" Chicago because they either have never been there or it's latent jealousy.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:59 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
If tourism is any indication, I think Chicago's doing pretty well. There seem to be droves of tourists snapping photos throughout downtown every day, lol. I think it's still a big vacation destination.

I think that a lot of people "diss" Chicago because they either have never been there or it's latent jealousy.

Everytime I see someone with a camera wearing shorts and looking pasty, my first thought is, "they're about to get mugged."

Old 08-12-2008, 02:48 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Everytime I see someone with a camera wearing shorts and looking pasty, my first thought is, "they're about to get mugged."
Lol, I do too! Don't they realize how obvious they are?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:55 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I totally feel like a tourist when I'm out on photo shoots. I haven't gotten mugged yet!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:02 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Yes but are you wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a fanny pack??

Old 08-12-2008, 03:13 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Yes but are you wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a fanny pack??
Wow what a visual! I see those guys watching that weird silver painted robot dude on Mich ave all the time. I have to wear a cubbies ballcap to seperate me from the other camera wielding tourists.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Default If Chicago is underrated..

...it won't be for long. With the price of real estate on both coasts, I suspect some (Especially in CA) might consider moving to the Monster of the Midway, where they can find many of the same amenities, but at a lower cost.

Most people who are at least a little knowledgeable find that Chicago is a national leader in many areas. I've met many locals here who visit Chicago for conventions, and they rave about the place. I even recall John Madden once saying that they should make Chicago the permanent home for the Super Bowl; I also remember Joe Buck (of Fox Sports) stating that "if you can't find something fun to do in Chicago, then there's something wrong with you".

Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM

295 posts, read 546,967 times
If I had to choose one city to live in for the rest of my life it wouldn't be my hometown Milwaukee but Chicago. I think Chicago is the classical US big city with massive suburbs and a very urban city layout.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:00 AM

64 posts, read 273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILWCITY View Post
If I had to choose one city to live in for the rest of my life it wouldn't be my hometown Milwaukee but Chicago. I think Chicago is the classical US big city with massive suburbs and a very urban city layout.
quoted for truth.
i plan to stay here for a looong time, and the thing is i hate the cold. but the good of this city out weighs the weather.
ill retire to hawaii when im 55
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago