Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 PM

5 posts, read 73,052 times

Advertisements

In my research, and form the help of this thread I have noticed that Rogers Park is more in my price range, my question to you is why is this? Is it becuase its the northern most section of the city. I've also heard that it has its tough sections. Being that its "Far North" does it have a suburban feel? Will I be able to access the rest of the city from here with ease as well? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,620,172 times
It's because of the tough sections. It is defintely not suburban. The "el" will get you downtown easy but it's a long ride. Driving down lake shore drive on the weekends isn't bad at all. Best thing about it is being close to the lake.

There are definitely good buys in the area if the above is what you're looking for. You just have to come and look at the places--sometimes there's a bad block or two surrounded by nice blocks. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:21 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Rogers Park is definately a 'street by street' neighborhood, with some good parts and some bad parts. Given how long it takes to get downtown on the 'el', I don't think that I'd want to live up there again (I lived up there about 15 years ago), however, you can get a large beautiful apartment (is it me or do those Roger's Park apartments seem huge) for a good price. Parking though, is another story, it is a pretty dense neighborhood and finding parking can be tough.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,152 times
Default Yet Another Rogers Park Question...

hello everyone,

first of all -- apologies for asking yet another rogers park question. Rest assured, however, I have read the posts in the stickied thread relevant to RP as well as used search and commonly-linked posts whenever someone else asks a question. That being said, my question is slightly more specific than many of those i have seen.

I'm an incoming grad student @ Northwestern in Evanston. I was originally planning on just living in Evanston but Rogers Park came highly recommended from several current students, independent of one another. Eager to move, I took their advice without much hesitation and used apartmentpeople to begin securing a place.

Long story short, one of the nicest units we viewed was on Touhy, between Glenwood and Sheridan. I've combed through a lot of these posts here and I gather that I definitely should be cautious about anywhere further north of Touhy. But, with respect to around Touhy and Sheridan, should I be leery of this area? I understand that anywhere I would be living demands a particular level of awareness and cautiousness just as common sense. But is this a block where I am going to want to be inside by dark huddled under a blanket in my living room (or not otherwise running errands, grabbing food, etc.)?

As far as for my commute, I was planning on taking the el from the morse stop. I believe (according to google transit) that taking the bus would be a viable option and there is a busstop on the corner of sheridan and touhy. Which is also, of course, where I know a shooting occurred about a year ago.

So, sheridan and touhy -- any thoughts? Within my pricerange, the unit is very, very nice (compared to others I saw in the area)

thanks!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:28 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
That's a relatively nice part of Rogers Park. There may be a couple of problem buildings in the area you'll want to avoid, however.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM

393 posts, read 1,217,837 times
I'm a little concerned, actually. Is this level of burglary normal for Rogers Park: Crimes › 1 block around 1300-1399 W. Touhy Ave. › Burglary | EveryBlock Chicago (http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/filter/streets/touhy-ave/1300-1399w/1-block/by-primary-type/burglary - broken link) ?

Within one block robberies:
Crimes › 1 block around 1300-1399 W. Touhy Ave. › Robbery | EveryBlock Chicago (http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/streets/touhy-ave/1300-1399w/1-block/by-primary-type/robbery - broken link)

And today is the one year anniversary of a murder at the gas station on the corner:
Crimes › 1 block around 1300-1399 W. Touhy Ave. › Homicide | EveryBlock Chicago (http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/streets/touhy-ave/1300-1399w/1-block/by-primary-type/homicide - broken link)

Is this risk level acceptable to you?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:26 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times
I take my son to the Touhy Street beach all the time, but I am always there during the day. I don't think it's that bad that close to the lake, but it depends on what you are comfortable with.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
There's a reason why that unit is very, very nice compared to others in your price range. Hint: location is a factor. It's not quite like living in da 'hood but quite a few of your neighbors will be doing their level best to make it seem that way.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
Is this level of burglary normal for Rogers Park: Crimes › 1 block around 1300-1399 W. Touhy Ave. › Burglary | EveryBlock Chicago (http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/filter/streets/touhy-ave/1300-1399w/1-block/by-primary-type/burglary - broken link) ?
Yep. Rogers Park is definitely the roughest lakefront neighborhood now. It surpassed Uptown years ago. I see the appeal, but wouldn't personally live there. But I wouldn't live in most of Uptown either.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,152 times
OK everyone, thanks a lot for the advice. It seems like some of the issues perhaps could be avoided by risk avoidance and taking precautions. Do you all believe this is a valid assessment?

I'm fine with this level of risk, as long as: 1) it is not so great that it prevents me from functioning normally during "normal" hours (i.e., 7am-10pm) and 2) there are things I can actively do to at least partially be in control of the situation (i.e. avoiding areas that would be most risky). Again, do you think think that these conditions could be satisfied?

re: the murder @ the gas station -- that is one of the things that made me the most nervous. I can't find much info on it online, was it random, interpersonal, gang related, etc.?

Thanks again everyone. I greatly appreciate the info and, if anything, reducing ambiguity is helping a lot, either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago