Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 11:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,633 times

Advertisements

I've been searching around the city for decent and reasonable single family homes. Recently said search has brought me to a few homes in the area around this park. Anyone have any personal familiarity with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 12:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
We've already done Rogers Park to death in these forums. It's a highly mixed area and therefore people have widely varying opinions on the quality of the Rogers Park neighborhood to the point that it's one of the more controversial topics in the Chicago forum. The area around Pottawattomie Park is no exception. Here's a sample of threads that have already covered Rogers Park in general, most of which are also applicable to the specific area you're looking at:

Old 04-06-2008, 03:42 AM

391 posts, read 1,303,052 times
I sure wouldn't buy a home there.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,633 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro View Post
I sure wouldn't buy a home there.
That sure is bankable information. I did read the other RP threads AND was just curious if anyone had actually lived in the area around this park, specifically just south of it, around wolcott and chase.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 AM

15 posts, read 41,961 times
Yes, it's true: Rogers Park is "mixed." The city should rename it Mixed Park and Evanston should build an immense electrified fence that spurts anti-mixing venom along its southern border. However, I live in Rogers and I have also lived in a distant land far scarier where uber-mixing is practiced regularly called HYDE PARK. And somehow, against all the odds, I have managed to live my life without being shot or robbed on a regular basis, which is "controversial" to online forum people because they never leave their cul de sacs. Anyway, some people really like Rogers Park. Some people think it's a nightmare from hell. It's on the lake. It has great ethnic food. It's close to Evanston. But Naperville or Barrington... lily white English-only suburban American Dream world? Not at all. Somehow though, families do live here and manage to survive even though white picket fences are scarce.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 AM

537 posts, read 1,939,617 times
I grew up in Rogers Park. My Mom died 2 years ago. We sold her house at Farwell and Wolcott last year. We sold it 3 weeks after we listed it and to a lawyer and a research Dr. The area right around my Mom's house is mix of people raising kids, professionals, and kids that grew up in the neighborhood and wanted to stay. There are also some questionable characters too. But for the year we worked on my Mom's house I was never afraid to walk around the area and saw enough people who felt the same way.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragicandfancytoo View Post
Yes, it's true: Rogers Park is "mixed." The city should rename it Mixed Park and Evanston should build an immense electrified fence that spurts anti-mixing venom along its southern border. However, I live in Rogers and I have also lived in a distant land far scarier where uber-mixing is practiced regularly called HYDE PARK. And somehow, against all the odds, I have managed to live my life without being shot or robbed on a regular basis, which is "controversial" to online forum people because they never leave their cul de sacs. Anyway, some people really like Rogers Park. Some people think it's a nightmare from hell. It's on the lake. It has great ethnic food. It's close to Evanston. But Naperville or Barrington... lily white English-only suburban American Dream world? Not at all. Somehow though, families do live here and manage to survive even though white picket fences are scarce.
This post illustrates my point perfectly. You can't even suggest it's a controversial topic with mixed opinions without someone launching into a smartassed screed in reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago