Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I do not think it will ever be possible for the CTA to be managed well without being in private hands.
it actually has to do with the REGIONAL TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY, and how the money is dispursed since it goes for pace and metra at the same time dont tell me they didnt know there was going to be a funding crisis, look how long the fare was at for almost 10 years! insane if they would have raised it back then with the intention of worst case scenerio we would not be in this big of a sinking boat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:33 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Well, if you don't want potholes move to Texas. They don;'t have Chicago winters or Chicago traffic all over the state. They don't have the interstate structure either..

I don't know how high real estate taxes are in Chicago, but the taxes on my 1/1 last year was $22k after the homestead exemption. .

Old 09-26-2008, 02:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
I moved here from Iowa, but I have to say after 7 years in Chicago I know WAYYYYYYY more about Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan than I do about anything south of I-80. It's seriously as if it doesn't exist to anyone living north of that line. Everyone talks about going up north, around the lake, over to Indiana.

Hearing someone talk about going downstate is about as common as someone saying they're going to Springfield Missouri for the weekend.

Where?

Strange also that I talk to people every damn day who moved here from Iowa, Wisconson, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. I seriously think I've met 4 people in the past 7 years who grew up in downstate Illinois. Where do they all go??? Stay home more than the rest of us? Move to St. Louis?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:08 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I moved here from Iowa, but I have to say after 7 years in Chicago I know WAYYYYYYY more about Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan than I do about anything south of I-80. It's seriously as if it doesn't exist to anyone living north of that line. Everyone talks about going up north, around the lake, over to Indiana.

Hearing someone talk about going downstate is about as common as someone saying they're going to Springfield Missouri for the weekend.

Where?

Strange also that I talk to people every damn day who moved here from Iowa, Wisconson, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. I seriously think I've met 4 people in the past 7 years who grew up in downstate Illinois. Where do they all go??? Stay home more than the rest of us? Move to St. Louis?
haha that is funny the only place i go south of i80 is frankfort, and thats maybe 10 blocks south

Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The CTA needs more funding and better management, period. Privatization of the CTA would be a disaster. Passenger rail systems have rarely been profitable throughout history, and need to be viewed as an essential government function.
In the entire history of civilization, there has never been a single transit system that has been profitable.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Well, if you don't want potholes move to Texas. They don;'t have Chicago winters or Chicago traffic all over the state. They don't have the interstate structure either..
Sorry Linicx,
Texas Interstate System and road system blows away Illinois & Chicago. They have a rapidly growing economy and energy $ to help fund it. Taxes are lower and although many in TX don't like Gov. Perry, I'll trade hime for Our Gov. Taxovich any day. Now TX does have advantage of roads lasting longer due to mellow winters, although some of that is negated by buckling due to some of the big time heat they get in summer. When an area grows, they build roads quickly to handle the growth. Not the dilly-dallying we will think about approach IL , or at least Chicagoland has. The Fox Valley Expressway, canceled due to not acting quickly enough. The 53 extension, same here. Not acting quickly enough allows the NIMBYS to build houses instead of buying while the land is mostly empty in anticipation of the growth that is easy to plot. Don't get me started on all the 2 lane highways bursting beyond capacity in Lake and McHenry county.
Sorry it diverts from the thread, but you hit a raw nerve. Now don't get me started on state and Cook Co. government. That is enough temptation to seperate right there. Now maybe the suburbs and the rest of the state would have the financial means to seperate from the Windy city. On second thought, no. We may not always like each other but there is a certain Ying/Yang relationship.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:15 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
In the entire history of civilization, there has never been a single transit system that has been profitable.
Yes! Transit systems are not designed or intended to be and they should not be expected to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago