Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:17 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times

Advertisements

Are the problems as simplistic as needing: 1) Nurture; having loving parents that take the effort to guide and teach & sacrifice for their child's benefit 2) Nature; making sure they grow up in an environment that promotes their growth and well being 3) Education; making it a priority and mandatory-perhaps this is a sub-set of #1. If you have all 3 you have an excellent chance to become a productive (to society) adult. If you have 2 out of 3 you have a chance. 1 out of 3 makes it very challenging and 0 of 3 is recipe for failure. Just trying to get a sense of what perpetuates this inner city violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 11,059 times
I have been in and out of that area for years since I grew up in nearby Chesterfield. That area has had problems since the 80s. One of the major issues (and issues in all of our communities) is that many of those in their 40s, 30s and 20s cannot get over the fact that we are ADULTS. They want to party, be friends with their children, be down with whatever they're and not take responsibility. And, to add insult to injury, many of us in that age listen to pseudo psychs from Oprah, Dr. Phil to Dr. Spock telling us how to raise our children. These methods are okay, but when you don't set an example or give any kind of guidance, you cannot expect a "time out" to do it. I'm sorry.

Another issue is those in their 40s, 30s and 20s want to party and do drugs and act like teenagers. All while dropping off their children to be raised by grandmothers and aunts in their 30s, 40s, 50s and above who feel a sense of responsibility to do do this because their FAMILY, or feel they can raise this child better than they did the first time around. Newsflash: If your child is so screwed up that they have screwed up kids, you did not do a good job!

Next, we are way to oversexualized. If we taught sexual responsibility instead of this degenerate behavior from the streets, we wouldn't have 11 - 17 year olds having children. If we didn't choose a man, just because he's good in the bedroom even though he's messing with your child, we wouldn't have all of these problems. If we didn't choose some, man/woman who is active in a gang, though both of you are 35, we wouldn't have these problems.

Finally, if we stopped praying and start fighting, we wouldn't have all of these problems.

For because of all of this madness, the children have no respect for no one.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelimine View Post
I have been in and out of that area for years since I grew up in nearby Chesterfield. That area has had problems since the 80s. One of the major issues (and issues in all of our communities) is that many of those in their 40s, 30s and 20s cannot get over the fact that we are ADULTS. They want to party, be friends with their children, be down with whatever they're and not take responsibility. And, to add insult to injury, many of us in that age listen to pseudo psychs from Oprah, Dr. Phil to Dr. Spock telling us how to raise our children. These methods are okay, but when you don't set an example or give any kind of guidance, you cannot expect a "time out" to do it. I'm sorry.

Another issue is those in their 40s, 30s and 20s want to party and do drugs and act like teenagers. All while dropping off their children to be raised by grandmothers and aunts in their 30s, 40s, 50s and above who feel a sense of responsibility to do do this because their FAMILY, or feel they can raise this child better than they did the first time around. Newsflash: If your child is so screwed up that they have screwed up kids, you did not do a good job!

Next, we are way to oversexualized. If we taught sexual responsibility instead of this degenerate behavior from the streets, we wouldn't have 11 - 17 year olds having children. If we didn't choose a man, just because he's good in the bedroom even though he's messing with your child, we wouldn't have all of these problems. If we didn't choose some, man/woman who is active in a gang, though both of you are 35, we wouldn't have these problems.

Finally, if we stopped praying and start fighting, we wouldn't have all of these problems.

yeah...this is pretty much it in a nutshell..good summation

Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM

7 posts, read 19,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intelimine View Post

Ding, ding, ding. Great post, it is not rocket science.

Cubsoxfan
Are the problems as simplistic as needing: 1) Nurture; having loving parents that take the effort to guide and teach & sacrifice for their child's benefit 2) Nature; making sure they grow up in an environment that promotes their growth and well being 3) Education; making it a priority and mandatory-perhaps this is a sub-set of #1. If you have all 3 you have an excellent chance to become a productive (to society) adult. If you have 2 out of 3 you have a chance. 1 out of 3 makes it very challenging and 0 of 3 is recipe for failure. Just trying to get a sense of what perpetuates this inner city violence.

Please stay in Arlington Heights, you do not know what your talking about.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:37 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeem989 View Post

Cubsoxfan

Oh sorry it wasn't simple enough. If you have 1) loving parents that guide you, teach you (right and wrong)and will make sacrifices for your benefit 2)an environment (neighborhood) that promotes your well being (safety, recreation, libraries, etc) and 3) good schools and parents that demand and guide you to good grades, then you will have an excellent chance to become a productive adult. If you have 2 out of 3 you have a chance. 1 out of 3 makes it very challenging and 0 of 3 is recipe for failure.

But I guess I don't know what I'm talking about even though Intelimine's post relates closely to my points #1 & #2.

Quote:
Please stay in Arlington Heights
What does this have to do with anything?!

Old 09-29-2009, 03:42 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakeem989 View Post

Cubsoxfan

Cubssoxfan has the right idea though. Intelimine just gave specific examples of nurture, nature and education. The nurture parting being a lack of it, the parents wanting to be friends of their children instead of being their parent. As far as nature goes, you grow up in an environment you take on that environment do what you need to to fit in. Being sexually promiscuous is the result of not being educated as Intelimine stated. Educate them, keep kids in school and this problem isn't as great.

Last edited by thePR; 09-29-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,977,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Cubssoxfan has the right idea though. Intelimine just gave specific examples of nurture, nature and education. The nurture parting being a lack of it, the parents wanting to be friends of their children instead of being their parent. As far as nature goes, you grow up in an environment you take on that environment do what you need to to fit in. Being sexually promiscuous is the result of not being educated as Intelimine stated. Educate them, keep kids in school and this problem isn't as great.
Yeah thats what I extracted from Cubssoxfan's post...he's on to something, i think...I dont really see what there is to disagree with there.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,117,756 times
You know what's really sad is that this kind of thing happens nearly every week in a major city in America. We have more people getting killed here than in Iraq in a day and even a year. I wish there was something we could do but it's a cultural thing you have to change in a culture that refuses to change.

Freedom Day Riot Video

Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 PM

760 posts, read 1,272,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxestudio View Post
Trust me, rent in some parts of Glenview is much more affordable than where I just moved from off the near-west side 4 blks east of the United Center. I truly loved the newly gentrified diversity, but what options do kids have regarding high school over there? None. I had no problem taking my $21.00 an hour behind right out of that neighborhood where my child can now receive a quality education and attend schools where teacher's truly desire to see children succeed.
And for that I am not sorry!!!
What about Whitney Young High which was right around the corner from you is one of the best schools in the state. Michelle Obama went there, and she did not do too bad.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
What about Whitney Young High which was right around the corner from you is one of the best schools in the state...
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to get into that school? Even when I was in high school it was very difficult. It is far more difficult now. I got accepted but choose not to go there because of the distance from my home and the fact that in those days the area around the school was craptastic. In fact, the area around the school still is pretty crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago