Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 83,961 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will be attending the University of Chicago in the fall and I wanted to get some perceptions of locals about the Hyde Park area. Is it safe? I've heard mixed opinions so far. Also, are there certain areas in Hyde Park I should avoid when looking for housing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 10:53 PM

36 posts, read 245,278 times
Yes, Hyde Park is safe. I lived there for four years in college and never had a problem. But since it is surrounded by some sketchy hoods, the police force is out in full force 24 hours a day. This makes Hyde Park one of the safest, albeit overly policed neighborhoods in the city. It's also one of the most incredibly diverse neighborhoods in the world. You will become very familiar with the unknown "other", whether you're white, black, asian, arab, or whatever. If you're patient with Hyde Park, the neighborhood will reward you with some incredible times. It's NOT Chicago, It's Hyde Park... a totally different reality. Enjoy.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:57 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
You have to understand that Hyde Park is a repository for college kids, which means there are loads of people with transferable possessions in a mixed community. Plus, I have seen male and female students traipsing around at 2 or 3 in the morning in Hyde Park in various degrees of chemical influence. Both factors influence the crime rate and people's war stories about a neighborhood's dangerousness.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,611 times
Hyde Park is relatively safe but don't think that nothing could ever happen in that area. You still need to be aware of your surroundings. A few weeks ago, former senator Carol Moseley Braun almost got mugged outside of her home in Hyde Park.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 99,445 times
Parts of Hyde Park are sketchy. As a rule of thumb, stay as close to the U of C campus as possible. Better option: live up north.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 AM

335 posts, read 1,435,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyloved View Post
Hi,
I will be attending the University of Chicago in the fall and I wanted to get some perceptions of locals about the Hyde Park area. Is it safe? I've heard mixed opinions so far. Also, are there certain areas in Hyde Park I should avoid when looking for housing?
things have been getting better for some time, so be careful about how old the opinions are that you've been hearing. it's not like the 1970s.

http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/070301/crimestats.shtml

Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 167,062 times
Default Hyde Park Streets

Guys,

Thank you for a useful forum. I am moving to the UoC to study next year from the UK with a young baby. Safety and security for me is a big issue. Are there any streets in Hyde Park which would be complete "No-nos" (e.g. lots of kids hanging around, badly lit etc) and some which you could recommend as really pleasant, safe and child friendly streets which I should be looking for apartment rentals.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Default Hyde Park Streets

The avenues in Hyde Park are pretty fungible -- the are just about the same. I could tell you about the only curved one but it really makes no difference.

For your conserns, just try to rent between 60th and 47th streets, where the majority of students live. Some student live in the area south of downtown Chicago, but that is a little far from the campus. Most students rent apartments in east Hyde Park, that is, east of Lake Park between 47th and 57th streets. There are other school-owned residential facilties throughout Hyde Park.

As to safety and security, there are campus buses until 1 am, a campus police force and call boxes on the corners. No place within the boundaries of Hyde Park is a complete no-no. There's also at least three day care centers for early child care.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
FWIW, the "Golden Rectangle," generally known as the choicest part of Hyde Park, is just east of campus: between Woodlawn, 55th, 59th, and the Metra tracks. Due to the curve in the tracks, it really should be a "Golden Trapezoid." East Hyde Park has better transportation choices than West Hyde Park, and technically anything beyond either 51st or 60th streets is outside Hyde Park.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 167,062 times
thanks guys, thats really useful. so east is probably better than west.

what about the area east towards and around the metra - i.e. near jackson park and the museum? seems a good compromise looking at the map - near to public transportation, and close enough for the uni? are there any special issues here that i should be aware of?
thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago