Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,584,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
This is only to show the extent of how we should commit our whole being to loving and trusting OUR CREATOR. Focus on Him and he will take care of the rest...including your concerns toward your loves ones.

We are to have faith/trust and rest in HIM.

I could and do...for The Saviour showed us (not demanded) by how he lived in utmost humility...that the creator's attributes are not lacking of 1) Love, 2)Compassion, 3)Mercy and Forgiveness.

I absolutely LOVE HIM and always making an effort to love the most unlovable creature that I encounter each day......difficult......but can be done...the loving the unlovable part...but I also believe...that's how God feels about my errors at times...

You may not see or understand this kind of reason now (it's okay)...for it is peculiar only to those who believe that we are special...created by THE CREATOR WHO LOVED US UNCONDITIONALLY. At one time, in a distant past...you and I were of one mind...His Will be done!

Peace!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It might be helpful to you to know the context in which Jesus was speaking in Matthew 10:37

He was basically giving instructions to the 12 apostles for what was expected on them in their service to God.

His whole point was that God has to come first in your life, and when He does all else falls into place.

The truth is, there was no Hebrew word for "hate" - that is not what Jesus ever said (and why would he when he clearly told us to "love our enemies"? Hating our family would just be ridiculous and NOT what Jesus would ever want). He was basically saying we should love no one person more than we love God.
Amen...my sentiments exactly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 11:34 PM

63,945 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Default Never turn your back on your children, period.

To the OP . . . absolutely NOT!!! Our loving God would never do so and neither would He expect ANY parent to do so!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:40 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
sounds like the preacher has got to get his own house in order.
your daughter has her issues too but she is grown no?. but how bout you. what do you want.
how bout serve god. in the end its just you and him no?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:48 AM

860 posts, read 2,059,571 times
This kind of crap is exactly why I don't go to church, or join any other "clubs" for that matter. How dare this creep tell you to abandon your daughter! Is that what Jesus did to the sinners he came across?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,942,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
ETers?? Are you trying to turn even this thread into another UR debate. Thanks, but no thanks. I have seen enough of their attempts to defend their faith, and I do not need any futher proof of UR falsehood. It is false. Period. If God changed his rules regarding those who reject him, it woud make him a liar, and that will not happen. You really can't compare yourself to God.
You stopped half way through my post... What about the question I asked? Here, I'll post it again:

Why would you personally not turn your back on a child for any reason, but believe that Jesus will? Is your righteousness and love greater than Christ's?

I'm still trying to figure out the ETer's mind set when they know instinctively the truth for themselves that Christ Himself showed us:

"Personally I would not turn my back on a child for any reason".

Can you clarify this for me?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:31 AM

5,539 posts, read 7,126,623 times
Hello "confusedchristianmom",

You out there somewhere??

There have been 70 replies now to your OP, please chime in!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,638,134 times
I'm in agreement with most here who say you should never abandon your child no matter what the circumstances. The pastor is biased and so is the congregation. This is an unfortunate situation but you have to move on and find another church because the damage is done and it can never be rectified in the eyes of the pastor and others. Even if your daughter were to stop seeing him it wouldn't change a thing. Does your daughter admit to having done wrong? Whether she does or not, she and her new boyfriend have set a chain of things in motion that cannot be turned around. My advice is to love her through it and DO NOT abandon her.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,541,077 times
Good morning everyone..Just a reminder thart this is NOT an ET vs UR thread..Next sidebar and thread is closed with infractions..

Carry on with the topic in the op

Old 08-18-2010, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,263 times
i had no idea that i would prompt such discussions...thank you everyone!! i am encouraged...to my brothers and sisters in christ, i take your advise to heart and will try harder to seek god in all of this...all i have known is this pastor and this assembly...i feel like a fish out of water these days but my hearts desire is to find a place to fellowship once again...and i apologize to anyone who has read my comments and believe that they are right in not going to church or getting involved in ministry, it was not my intent...we are all sinners, saved by grace...prior to getting saved i use to think that christians didn't sin and that anyone who was a christian longer than me had to be "better"...anyhow, this mom is encouraged and can't wait to see my daughter!!!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedchristianmom View Post
i am a christian. i have been saved for 7 years and until lately was in fellowship regularly. my 19 year old christian daughter was "caught" having an affair with a married man...he has left his wife and child for her...my pastor told me that i was to have nothing to do with her...to cut her out of my life completely until she repents and leaves him...i am not happy with the decision she has made, i have told her that this is not what god wants for her...i cut her out of my life as the pastor instructed (7 months now) and just prior to him telling me to leave the church he told me that i should reach out to her...i did...and now i am being shunned by the members in the church for spending time with her...i guess i should also mention that the guy in question is/was the pastor's son in law...i would be greatful for some direction re: what scripture and God has to say about how i am to treat my daughter...
Well, what your pastor is saying sounds kind of harsh. From my understanding of scripture God says to love our enemies. Now if God tells us to love our enemies, then wouldn't He want for you to love your daughter, even in this situation.

If I were you I would continue to love my daughter, but I would express to her that her actions is wrong. I would also try to express to her how God feels about adultery. The only thing that you can do is speak truth to her. I personally don't think God would want for you to completely cut her off. We are to be a light in dark situations.

But personally, it would be best if you get alone and ask God what He wants for you to do. His advice would be best over ours. I understand you want our advice, but God is the only one who can give you peace in this situation.

Please seek God in this matter. Our advice might be good, but we could give you advice that God may not want for you to receive from us, due to Him wanting to consult with you personally on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity