Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:03 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,595,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helios666 View Post
This topic has already been started, as well as responded to, in the category of "religion and philosphy" where it belongs...moderators?!?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...s-hawking.html
It is also being discussed in the Atheist section.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...-universe.html

I think it would be nice to discuss the topic here, where a person of faith is not dog-piled by a bunch of skeptics.

With that said, I will repost my observation of Mr. Hawking's theory:
Here I was all ready to deconvert and then this from the article:

God did not create the universe and the “Big Bang” was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,” Hawking writes.
Talk about "mumbo jumbo"

So pray tell where were these laws of physics and gravity before the beginning, when everything started out as nothing. From whence cometh said laws? From nothing? Nothing means.......well nothing-zip, zilch, nada. The logic escapes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,041,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
this is what I think,too.I also suspect that he may be angry at God,even if it's on a subconcious level,for his crippling disease.
And the fact that's he's specifically targeting God ..not Allah,not Jehovah,Budda,nor anyone else..leads me to suspect this even more.
That said,it's truly a miracle he's even still alive;most ppl with his condition do not survive for as long as he has.If I recall correctly,Dr's gave him about a yr or 2 at the most,after dx'ing him.And that was many,many yrs ago.
Yes, I think you very well could be right about that. And I do not judge him negatively if that is the case because I know very well that I could easily feel the same way given the right life circumstances. I like to think that I would never become angry with God - but I'm fully aware of my human weaknesses to say it could not happen. God bless Steven Hawking. I have enjoyed many of his "scientific talks" featured on various cable networks. I'm certainly not anti-science. Yet I also don't believe that science can explain the spiritual world. I prefer it when science and faith find each other :-)

Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,041,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
it is fine to believe that a god created the universe, but it must be acknowledged as faith and as being no more rational than believing otherwise.
I feel the same about those who believe in extra-terrestrials. It must remain in the science fiction category (at least in my 'book') Hawking 'believes' it is likely that there are aliens, and not only that, but also fears they may be a danger to earth and humans. That does not sound at all scientific to me. I'd call it faith.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,448,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The fool hath said in his heart "There is no God." Hawking is a ________
I agree!

And if you find yourself in the presence of a fool...run!

aka, don't waste your time buying and reading the book!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,448,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It is also being discussed in the Atheist section.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athei...-universe.html

I think it would be nice to discuss the topic here, where a person of faith is not dog-piled by a bunch of skeptics.

With that said, I will repost my observation of Mr. Hawking's theory:
Here I was all ready to deconvert and then this from the article:

God did not create the universe and the “Big Bang” was an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics, the eminent British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book.

“Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist,” Hawking writes.
Talk about "mumbo jumbo"

So pray tell where were these laws of physics and gravity before the beginning, when everything started out as nothing. From whence cometh said laws? From nothing? Nothing means.......well nothing-zip, zilch, nada. The logic escapes me.
I agree with you too. I think the logic escapes Hawkins as well!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,495,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
this is what I think,too.I also suspect that he may be angry at God,even if it's on a subconcious level,for his crippling disease.
And the fact that's he's specifically targeting God ..not Allah,not Jehovah,Budda,nor anyone else..leads me to suspect this even more.
That said,it's truly a miracle he's even still alive;most ppl with his condition do not survive for as long as he has.If I recall correctly,Dr's gave him about a yr or 2 at the most,after dx'ing him.And that was many,many yrs ago.
I don't think it's fair to discount his belief just cause of his disability. Contrary to popular belief, not all disabled people are angry at God for making them disabled. Many people are in the beginning but they make peace with their disability. I can't say for sure how Hawking feels about his disability, but from what I've read, it seems to me he is at peace with it. In fact, often when asked about it, he says that he appreciates the time it gives him to think and is very appreciative of the fact that he's completely outlived his predicted life expectancy.

Maybe he is just using his great mind to think of all the possibilities about the Universe. After all, that's what he's been doing for decades...even before his ALS kicked in.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The fool hath said in his heart "There is no God." Hawking is a ________

"...and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire."

Old 09-03-2010, 10:43 AM

871 posts, read 3,023,770 times
The laws of physics and gravity, before the Big Bang, at least science confidently acknowledges that it just does not know. Nobody knows. And science admits it. The religious go one step further and attribute it to a supernatural being who, in turn, had to be created, no? And who created the creator? Religious zealots steadfastly proclaim that they KNOW! God did not have to be created, because he is god!

Science uses the word "theory" as an explanation. The Big Bang was likely the result of a gravitational gathering of every particle in the universe which heated up to the point of exploding into the Big Bang, perhaps for the first time, perhaps for the billionth time.

There are billions of stars in billions of galaxies. Life forms alien to us, and more advanced, could and probably do exist. They have advanced further and faster. Can't be proven, and can't be dismissed.

As far as "order" goes, the universe and our galaxy, even, are full of disordered chaos. As over 99% of all life forms on this planet have gone extinct (with no help from man) how do you explain god's success rate there? Not too brilliant. How do you explain the vastness of a universe that we cannot ever enjoy or admire, because we cannot see it, as in did god build us a wonderful universe we cannot see, or explore, or explain? What a wasteful god.

The religious like to explain away what science can and cannot explain through careful examination and reason. They like to explain it using ancient belief systems invented by middle eastern illiterate peasants' legends, myths and fables (and a whole lot of fear) that predate science, reason and fact.

I leave the entire faithful religious world to believe what they wish, but Stephen Hawking has infinitely more knowledge, experience, and brain-power than anyone I can name, all in one sad physical shell. He has answers you should at least be open-minded enough to explore. But, I am convinced that it is a paradox to be religious and to be open-minded at the same time.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM

308 posts, read 428,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think Hawking is losing his mental faculties of late. Not that I begrudge him the right to think whatever he wants. But there is clearly too much order in our Galaxy for me to believe that there is not a grand designer. Not to mention far too much fulfillment of prophecy and wondrous mysteries on our planet to reach such a conclusion. Just this past spring, Hawking proposed the theory that aliens may pose a threat to planet earth. That causes me to think he has a very vivid imagination every bit as strong as those who believe in the Spirit of God.
Here is what Hawking said:

Quote:
Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.

“To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational,” he said. “The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like.”
The answer, he suggests, is that most of it will be the equivalent of microbes or simple animals — the sort of life that has dominated Earth for most of its history.
Quote:
He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”
He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is “a little too risky”. He said: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”
Source

Sounds all pretty rational to me, given that he was asked about that sort of thing. Definitely doesn't sound like a guy who is off his rocker.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM

308 posts, read 428,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I agree with you too. I think the logic escapes Hawkins as well!
Hawking. If you're going to argue about the Einstein of this generation you should at least know his name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity