Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:22 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
Scripture is man-made. That aside, ancient (beginning of life) cells did not have nuclei, did not contain DNA, were not complex, were not at that time capable of evolving into aything more than single cell. That all took time, chance, failures, and adaptation. So, of course today's bacteria is a dynamo, fabulous and intriguing and such. But....over billions of years that is what one would expect. Evolution does this sort of thing.

Humans evolved from bacteria. Two thousand year old book written by man vs. 4 billion years of stuff undergoing change and advancement. The creator of life was the exciting laboratory we call Planet Earth.

I don't expect you to subscribe to any of this, I bet you won't. But, like many others who toss around scripture as fact, it would behoove your arguments to brush up on the basic TENETS of evolution, so you sound informed. Evolution is factual and it is all there to look up and learn. And it's evolving every day, unlike religion, which is so arrogant that it can't be "evolved".

The most primitive of cells are too complex to have come together by chance. Chance is not part of Biochemistry which inevitably produces complex products.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,541,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
It's not really even scientifically plausible for gravity to have an effect on nothing since it takes the existance of matter for gravity to exist.
Holy Cow! Post of the month!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,998 times
M. Denton also adds: "The complexity of the simplest known type of cell is so great that it is impossible to accept that such an object could have been thrown together suddenly by some kind of freakish, vastly improbable, event." It had to have a designer and maker.

Wow. Well, as usual, ONE scientific "expert" is quoted for his astounding opinions. Hmmmm. Denton, or Hawking, I dunno.....

Anyway, no one posits that cells were thrown together in a freakish event or any such pap. Life is the product of failure after failure after failure (hence the extinctions) and is still not perfect (birth defects, spontaneous abortions, etc.) but a poor and weak argument from Denton supposing that cells just "happened". Any more than god created the universe in 6 days (why not 1?) and needed to "rest" on the 7th day (Whew! Now THAT was grueling.....I'm bushed!). Chemicals. Proteins. Lipids. Single cells. Complex cells. Organic compounds. Single cells at the bottom and Homo Erectus at the top, if you dig archaeology.

Why does this all sound like "magic" or hooey or BS to people? Believe what you will, and all opinions are to be respected, but I believe that religion kills more people today than bullets do. It's the festering evil of our time and all time. Lose religion and you will lose evil. My god is better than your god, my church is the only church, your church is the path to hell....you can have all that and I'll listen to Mr. Hawking's wisdom, can't wait to buy a copy.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,020 times

Abiogenesis assumes life was created by a processes still operating today. Then "new life"....... should still become visible and come into exsistence today.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,418 times
ok this isn't an evolution thread. but in an attempt to nip it - creationists have been using the same arguments against evolution for literally 30 or 40 years. creation science doesn't change like actual science and there is no peer review. so, any scientific-sounding argument you will hear has already been documented and successfully rebutted ( see TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy or specifically Abiogenesis FAQs: The Origins of Life for the abiogenesis thing - more specifically claim CB020 - why no abiogenisis today? ). it is like a whack-a-mole game though, these things keep coming up.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,588 times
Quote:
you can have all that and I'll listen to Mr. Hawking's wisdom, can't wait to buy a copy.
feel free,I won't waste my money on it.I thought he was a bit off up there when he said we should not talk to aliens.
That said,I wish him the best.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post

The most primitive of cells are too complex to have come together by chance. Chance is not part of Biochemistry which inevitably produces complex products.

There is no such a thing as chance/luck!!!...and no need to separate God/Creator from Science/evolution.

I don't question the evolutionary claim that our earth is billion/trillion/zillion...etc. years old, for time was only accounted for in Genesis when God created man.

The SPIRIT of GOD is OMNISCIENT, OMNIPOTENT, AND OMNIPRESENT...imho

Peace!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:14 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,940,418 times
hawking on aliens, in case anyone wants some source information
Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking - Times Online

Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I have not read the book yet, it's not even out until September 7th.

To the OP: Considering that Stephen Hawking is arguably the most brilliant intellectual mind of our time (don't forget he's up there with Einstein), I think people in general should not automatically disregard what he has to say simply because it doesn't fit into one's current mindset.

You can believe whatever you want to believe, but it doesn't make it true.
And some of the most brilliant minds have also recognized that God is SUPREME AND TRUE!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
M. Denton also adds: "The complexity of the simplest known type of cell is so great that it is impossible to accept that such an object could have been thrown together suddenly by some kind of freakish, vastly improbable, event." It had to have a designer and maker.

Wow. Well, as usual, ONE scientific "expert" is quoted for his astounding opinions. Hmmmm. Denton, or Hawking, I dunno.....

Anyway, no one posits that cells were thrown together in a freakish event or any such pap. Life is the product of failure after failure after failure (hence the extinctions) and is still not perfect (birth defects, spontaneous abortions, etc.) but a poor and weak argument from Denton supposing that cells just "happened". Any more than god created the universe in 6 days (why not 1?) and needed to "rest" on the 7th day (Whew! Now THAT was grueling.....I'm bushed!). Chemicals. Proteins. Lipids. Single cells. Complex cells. Organic compounds. Single cells at the bottom and Homo Erectus at the top, if you dig archaeology.

Why does this all sound like "magic" or hooey or BS to people? Believe what you will, and all opinions are to be respected, but I believe that religion kills more people today than bullets do. It's the festering evil of our time and all time. Lose religion and you will lose evil. My god is better than your god, my church is the only church, your church is the path to hell....you can have all that and I'll listen to Mr. Hawking's wisdom, can't wait to buy a copy.
I understand your point, and I respect your opinion. But it's mankind through his or her interpretation of the bible that has made religion evil in your eyes. God isn't evil, concocted or not, and his truth will set all of us free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity