Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
The Jewish Bible (Tanakh) of which the Old Testament comes from is inspired by G-d. If it was not inspired by G-d then I don't know how Christianity could use it to prove their beliefs.

I can't speak to the others but I believe that each group believes their books are inspired by G-d and that gives them merit.

Maybe there are many understandings of G-d, not just one truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Says who...the bible??? This is circular logic and you know it. You can't use the bible as evidence that the bible is inspired by God anymore than any other religion can use their holy books to prove inspiration.
The bible is a library. So, to have one book in the library say the rest of the books in that library are inspired is not circular reasoning.

Anyways, a book has to claim it is written by God internally, this is logical. Pick up any book and it will say written by... and you believe it was written by that person. So, a book can internally say it was inspired by God. After that it is tested. And the bible has been proven true historically. Since it is true on the things that we can test, we can trust it on the things that cannot be tested.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
Lol, so the people before the bible were pretty screwed then. So Peter, Paul, James.....all didn't know God's love huh?
I don't know what you are talking about when you say "the people befor the bible were pretty screwed".

God is love, so Peter, Paul, James all knew the love of the Father.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
The Jewish Bible (Tanakh) of which the Old Testament comes from is inspired by G-d. If it was not inspired by G-d then I don't know how Christianity could use it to prove their beliefs.

I can't speak to the others but I believe that each group believes their books are inspired by G-d and that gives them merit.

Maybe there are many understandings of G-d, not just one truth.
The Tanak is inspired and still inspires us. Unfortunately the Jews have rejected the Messiah that was spoken of in the Tanak. And so now they attempt to reinterpret the Tanak to say what it does not or to reject what it did say of Jesus Christ.

But the day is coming that the Jewish nation will turn their whole heart to God as spoken by Moses.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible is a library. So, to have one book in the library say the rest of the books in that library are inspired is not circular reasoning.

Anyways, a book has to claim it is written by God internally, this is logical. Pick up any book and it will say written by... and you believe it was written by that person. So, a book can internally say it was inspired by God. After that it is tested. And the bible has been proven true historically. Since it is true on the things that we can test, we can trust it on the things that cannot be tested.
Not all things in it are true in different senses of that word, so this means other parts of it can be called into question.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Please provide actual evidence of this historical proof....especially of the virgin birth, the slaughter of the innocents by Herod, the walking on water, the feeding of 5,000, the resurrection, etc...I'll be waiting for your historical proof of just these items...and please don't insult me by referencing scripture....provide me with physical historical proof outside the bible...if you can.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
The Tanak is inspired and still inspires us. Unfortunately the Jews have rejected the Messiah that was spoken of in the Tanak. And so now they attempt to reinterpret the Tanak to say what it does not or to reject what it did say of Jesus Christ.

But the day is coming that the Jewish nation will turn their whole heart to God as spoken by Moses.

The Hebrew Scriptures were already codified before the Christain Old testamant. It is Christianity that has reinterpreted it to justify their beliefs.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
The Hebrew Scriptures were already codified before the Christain Old testamant. It is Christianity that has reinterpreted it to justify their beliefs.
Yep...the Christians think their interpretation of Hebrew scripture is the correct one...afterall, the people who actually wrote it couldn't possibly know the correct interpretation.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:25 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Only the bible reveals love.
I'm assuming you wouldn't be so naive as to make a comment like this unless you'd actually read any of the other religious texts. So, tell me a little bit about your assessment of each of them, please.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,490,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Most of the world's major religions have their own holy book which its members consider to have been inspired by, or even dictated by, God. Judaism has the Old Testament, Christianity has the Old and New Testament, Mohammadism has the Koran, Mormonism has the Book of Mormon, Hinduism has the Vedas, etc., etc.

Sould we consider all of these books to be similarly inspired by God? If not which one(s), and why? How does one tell?

I'm glad that I reviewed old OP's ..... read your last closed OP.

Last edited by twin.spin; 09-16-2010 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: appears to be trolling for arguments .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity