Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I'm glad that I reviewed old OP's ..... read your last closed OP.
Hmmm...I thought he asked some truly legitimate questions...how about you actually answer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 03:01 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
If you have Holy Spirit than you will KNOW the truth that the Bible is the inspired Word of God ... If you know Alah personally than the Koran is truth,. If you know any other gods personally than their Words are truth. But I do not Know any other religion that know their God personally than Christianity or any other religion that is most hated in the World than Christian, which show the adversary the devil is busy and the devil knows which holy book are inspired by God. Devil hates the Christians and the Jews the most but will try to hurt all life on the earth.....

Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
If you have Holy Spirit than you will KNOW the truth that the Bible is the inspired Word of God ... If you know Alah personally than the Koran is truth,. If you know any other gods personally than their Words are truth. But I do not Know any other religion that know their God personally than Christianity or any other religion that is most hated in the World than Christian, which show the adversary the devil is busy and the devil knows which holy book are inspired by God. Devil hates the Christians and the Jews the most but will try to hurt all life on the earth.....
No offense...but that has to be the most twisted logic used to justify truth that I've ever seen posted on these forums yet.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:24 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
No offense...but that has to be the most twisted logic used to justify truth that I've ever seen posted on these forums yet.
You were able to follow that? You're good!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Only the bible is inspired by God.
RESPONSE:

How do you know that?

Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I'm sitting here reading this response and ordinarily I wouldn't bother to make a response, basically I have no dog in this hunt because I don't believe that any sacred book is inspired by any deity, I believe that they are all written by man based on his opinion of certain events that took place during his time and for his own personal agenda, however you have touched upon something that does seem to make a little bit of sense and that is, that each one of the different organized religions have their own sacred books and each one believes that their sacred books hold the truth for their religion, even if each one has borrowed from the other. If you take the time to read all three of the major religions sacred books, you'll find that they're all very similar, each one has a belief in a singular deity and each one as a punishment of some sort if you do not worship that particular deity in a certain way which to me makes no sense because it does not give you the freedom to worship your deity the way you see fit and why should everyone worship a particular deity the same way, everyone is different, everyone has their own opinion and no two are alike, so why should everyone have to worship their deity the same way and not the way they want. That's why my people do not understand the reasoning behind your worshiping of your deity.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,723,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I'm sitting here reading this response and ordinarily I wouldn't bother to make a response, basically I have no dog in this hunt because I don't believe that any sacred book is inspired by any deity, I believe that they are all written by man based on his opinion of certain events that took place during his time and for his own personal agenda, however you have touched upon something that does seem to make a little bit of sense and that is, that each one of the different organized religions have their own sacred books and each one believes that their sacred books hold the truth for their religion, even if each one has borrowed from the other. If you take the time to read all three of the major religions sacred books, you'll find that they're all very similar, each one has a belief in a singular deity and each one as a punishment of some sort if you do not worship that particular deity in a certain way which to me makes no sense because it does not give you the freedom to worship your deity the way you see fit and why should everyone worship a particular deity the same way, everyone is different, everyone has their own opinion and no two are alike, so why should everyone have to worship their deity the same way and not the way they want. That's why my people do not understand the reasoning behind your worshiping of your deity.
RESPONSE:

I agree with much of what you say but why are you limiting your argument to only three of the books of the major religions. (I think there are 12 to 14).

Old 09-16-2010, 09:02 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Books are NOT holy! They can be USEFUL (profitable) for instruction in righteousness and to give hope (in telling us about Jesus, for example). Only God is Holy!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Judaism has the Old Testament, Christianity has the Old and New Testament ...

It is offensive to traditional Jews to use the term "Old Testament" as this indicates that the Bible has been replaced or superseded (supersessionism) by a "New Testament", the Christian Bible.

Traditional Judaism does not accept that the Bible, or if you prefer, the Jewish Bible, has been replaced or superseded by the Christian Bible.

According to Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses and there will be no other Torah (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith).

Additionally, there are the many differences between the Christian version of the Jewish Bible and the Jewish version of the Jewish Bible:

According to Rabbi Marc Gellman of G-d Squad fame, "One of the most important things to understand when quoting the Bible (the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Testament) is that it was not written in English. This means you're not only reading a translation from Hebrew or Greek, but you're also often reading an interpretation masquerading as a translation."

As an example of this "interpretation masquerading as a translation", further quoting Rabbi Gellman, "The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible (and the text used by Jerome to translate the Bible into Latin in the 4th century), famously translates the Hebrew verse 'and behold a young woman shall give birth' as, 'and behold a virgin shall give birth.' The Hebrew word for virgin is betula, but the word used in Isaiah 7 is alma, which just means a young woman. Obviously, if there was a verse in the Hebrew Bible predicting that a virgin would give birth, this would indeed be a stunning prediction and proof text of Jesus' virgin birth. Unfortunately, for Christians who want this to be the verse, it is not the verse."

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Books are NOT holy! They can be USEFUL (profitable) for instruction in righteousness and to give hope (in telling us about Jesus, for example). Only God is Holy!!!
The GOOD NEWS, right? It's hard to find in between all the pounded pulpits, threats, crusades, and what-have-you, but I believe it's in there somewhere.

Love, joy, peace....I remember something along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity