Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 05:44 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It is offensive to traditional Jews to use the term "Old Testament" as this indicates that the Bible has been replaced or superseded (supersessionism) by a "New Testament", the Christian Bible.

Traditional Judaism does not accept that the Bible, or if you prefer, the Jewish Bible, has been replaced or superseded by the Christian Bible.

According to Maimonides (Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, otherwise known by the acronym Rambam, 1135-1204 C.E.), "The Written Torah (first 5 books of the Bible) and Oral Torah (teachings now contained in the Talmud and other writings) were given to Moses and there will be no other Torah (Source: Rambam's thirteen principles of faith).

Additionally, there are the many differences between the Christian version of the Jewish Bible and the Jewish version of the Jewish Bible:

According to Rabbi Marc Gellman of G-d Squad fame, "One of the most important things to understand when quoting the Bible (the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Testament) is that it was not written in English. This means you're not only reading a translation from Hebrew or Greek, but you're also often reading an interpretation masquerading as a translation."

As an example of this "interpretation masquerading as a translation", further quoting Rabbi Gellman, "The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible (and the text used by Jerome to translate the Bible into Latin in the 4th century), famously translates the Hebrew verse 'and behold a young woman shall give birth' as, 'and behold a virgin shall give birth.' The Hebrew word for virgin is betula, but the word used in Isaiah 7 is alma, which just means a young woman. Obviously, if there was a verse in the Hebrew Bible predicting that a virgin would give birth, this would indeed be a stunning prediction and proof text of Jesus' virgin birth. Unfortunately, for Christians who want this to be the verse, it is not the verse."
I agree 100%...this is something Christians just don't understand. Their version of the Jewish bible is nothing like the Jewish version of the Jewish bible...there are so many mistranslations...ones that totally change the meaning of the scriptures. My hope is that one day Christians really will take the time to study these things so that they will no longer be mislead into believing something that isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:26 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,727,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I agree 100%...this is something Christians just don't understand. Their version of the Jewish bible is nothing like the Jewish version of the Jewish bible...there are so many mistranslations...ones that totally change the meaning of the scriptures. My hope is that one day Christians really will take the time to study these things so that they will no longer be mislead into believing something that isn't true.
RESPONSE:

Yes. Unfortunately this is true. Perhaps the best example is the Gospel of Matthew in which the writer claims a number of OT prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus.

But consulting the original Hebrew test, we find that the writer of Matthew's gospel does not quote them accurately.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Yes. Unfortunately this is true. Perhaps the best example is the Gospel of Matthew in which the writer claims a number of OT prophecies were fulfilled by Jesus.

But consulting the original Hebrew test, we find that the writer of Matthew's gospel does not quote them accurately.
Whomever wrote Matthew wasn't the only author to inaccurately quote Jewish scripture....the letters attributed to Paul took great liberties with this as well.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,375,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
The GOOD NEWS, right? It's hard to find in between all the pounded pulpits, threats, crusades, and what-have-you, but I believe it's in there somewhere.

Love, joy, peace....I remember something along those lines.
Know peace, know God. Know Love, know God. Know joy, know God.

Nice posts everyone!

Blessings!
brian

Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,727,283 times
Quote:
Whomever wrote Matthew wasn't the only author to inaccurately quote Jewish scripture....the letters attributed to Paul took great liberties with this as well.
RESPONSE:

Can you give us some examples of Paul's inaccurate quotation of the OT?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:10 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,442,667 times
Quote:
Please provide actual evidence of this historical proof....especially of the virgin birth, the slaughter of the innocents by Herod, the walking on water, the feeding of 5,000, the resurrection, etc...I'll be waiting for your historical proof of just these items...and please don't insult me by referencing scripture....provide me with physical historical proof outside the bible...if you can.
I said, since the bible has been tested and proved accurate on the things that can be tested, then we trust those writters of history on the things that cannot be tested!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Please provide actual evidence of this historical proof....especially of the virgin birth, the slaughter of the innocents by Herod, the walking on water, the feeding of 5,000, the resurrection, etc...I'll be waiting for your historical proof of just these items...and please don't insult me by referencing scripture....provide me with physical historical proof outside the bible...if you can.
What historical proof do we have that Washington crossed the Delaware in 1776? A painting made in 1851? No, eyewitness accounts to the fact. Other documentation that corroborates the event. The same is with the walking on water. Eye witnesses reccorded the event. The silence of opposition even supports this. But we can prove many things that were reccorded by these eye witnesses. The result is for us to either trust these witnesses or not, but based on testing them, they are trustworthy. The same is with any court of law, the witnesses are tested. If they are tested and found trustworthy their testimonies are used. And just like a court of law we don't expect to find physical evidence of everything they say, for the courts know that evidence is destroyed very quickly, even minutes or hours after an event. So to expect physical evidence of the walking on water or resurrection is ludicrous, absurd and merely pretetious, just to make one appear reasonable when they are infact unreasonable.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Yep...the Christians think their interpretation of Hebrew scripture is the correct one...afterall, the people who actually wrote it couldn't possibly know the correct interpretation.
The Early Christians are the Jews. In fact Paul is one of the Greatest Pharasees and concerning the law perfect. Hebrews was written by Appollos another highly educated in the law. So, it was not the Christians or Goy who were interpreting the scriptures, but the Jews themselves. And what they revealed is what the scriptures have been saying all along. It is after the fact that the Rabbis have attempted to prove these men wrong.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm assuming you wouldn't be so naive as to make a comment like this unless you'd actually read any of the other religious texts. So, tell me a little bit about your assessment of each of them, please.
When you train in America to detect counterfeit bills, you do not study all the counterfeit bill that have been found. Rather you study the true American bills and then when you come across a counterfeit you know it immediately. The same is with religions, so I study the truth and when I look to the false I know it immediately. That is why I am a Christian. That is why I study the bible and none other.

You go and study every other religion if you want to. But after a lifetime of looking at the false and evil, you will know why you ended up in hell.

But, you will find many truths while looking at these false religions! Because every lie needs to be wrapped in truth for one to believe it! Why would anyone take a $21 bill? No, they will only accept a $20. So, the truth is there are only $20 bills and not $21's. But a counterfeit $20 is still a lie no matter how good it is copied!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,578,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
When you train in America to detect counterfeit bills, you do not study all the counterfeit bill that have been found. Rather you study the true American bills and then when you come across a counterfeit you know it immediately. The same is with religions, so I study the truth and when I look to the false I know it immediately. That is why I am a Christian. That is why I study the bible and none other.

You go and study every other religion if you want to. But after a lifetime of looking at the false and evil, you will know why you ended up in hell.

But, you will find many truths while looking at these false religions! Because every lie needs to be wrapped in truth for one to believe it! Why would anyone take a $21 bill? No, they will only accept a $20. So, the truth is there are only $20 bills and not $21's. But a counterfeit $20 is still a lie no matter how good it is copied!
I like your analogy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity