Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:57 PM

138 posts, read 181,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
That is a mighty powerful scenario comparisons ~ WOW! I can imagine their Maker juggling those in his hands with a big frown on His face. And I think He'd be spending quite some time on this one. Hmm!

My guess might be the first one. Because, yes, while the man lacks compassion and charity, he nevertheless does no harm, causes no harm.

Man #2's humanitarian efforts would score huge points with his Maker but but he has caused harm with his loved ones. I think God would put him through the ringer for this one ~ maybe even suggest that he come back again and learn respect for his loved ones and work on his honesty. Personally, I believe that we can return in another life if we want to "right a wrong", and this man would be the perfect candidate for it.

But, then, He could very well suggest to #1 to come back and experience more generosity.

He may just reject the both of them with the suggestion to come back and better ourselves.

And, yes, I'm one of the few Christian who believes in reincarnation (but not the cyclic over 'n' over). I believe that earth is a school that we're here to learn lessons, and that Free Will gives us the opportunity to learn more of them beyond just one lifetime.
You're right, in some way the second man would have to atone. Perhaps he even has (through a non-religious practice, seeing as he's atheistic).

Russell's ultimate point perhaps would be better served if you took the second man's sin out of the equation. In the end, he felt that it's not fair that "good" doesn't count in the right direction -- that only "not sinning" and accepting Christ as your savior are things that "count." He felt that while the man was a sinner, his good acts contributed positively to the world, while the first man really did not contribute. He felt certainly God would feel more positively about the way the second man chose to live his life -- mistakes and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
No, not a modern interpretation. As stated in Gen. 15:6 'Then he (Abraham - Abram at the time) believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness. This is reiterated in Gal. 3:6.

When Moses lifted up the serpent on a staff in the wilderness (Numbers 21:6-9), it was a picture or type of Jesus on the Cross. John 3:14 ''And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; 15] that whoever believes may in Him have eternal life.

Because of their disobedience, God had sent serpents to bite the Israelites. God then instructed Moses to fashion a bronze serpent, put it on a staff and raise it up. Anyone who had been bitten and simply looked toward the serpent, was healed and lived. A picture of Christ on the Cross. Jesus was represented by a serpent because this was a picture of Jesus while bearing the sins of the world. Satan had came to Eve as a serpent and deceived her into sinning.

Budda is in Hades unless he believed in Christ before he died. Reject the truth if you will. You will learn the truth after you die. But it will be too late by then as your eternal destiny is set as of the moment you die. All who die without Christ will spend eternity in the lake of fire. That is reality.

Yahweh was originally a storm god. another god el was a mountain god. The two were eventually combined together. eventually yawheh (storm god) evolved to become Israel's ONLY god, and eventually after christianity spread he was considered to be the god over the earth and eventually the universe. Yahweh is a MYTHOLOGICAL deity of a successful regional pagan religion that worshipped a storm god. The belief that Jesus' death was to pay for the sins of mankind was a doctrine that was formed CENTURIES after the death of Christ. The early christians DID NOT believe this theology.

Buddhism's positive effects and discoveries have been discovered by the fields of psychology and psychiatry in modern times. Buddhism actually has things in it that have been SCIENTIFICALLY proven to BENEFIT people. If Christ met Buddha perhaps they would've been friends. Perhaps Buddha would have been Christ's mentor. Buddha has transcended the cycle of reincarnation and exists in a state of PURE BLISS. This state is BEYOND to and SUPERIOR To any 'heaven'. Even the gods themselves have YET to do this, yet all life ONE day will reach this state. Your religious views stem from FEAR and from the EGO. They have nothing to do with spirituality and actually make people such as yourself FURTHER away from unconditional love and enlightenment.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Default "Buddhism and...."

June has always wondered what's the deal with bashing another's religious belief, particularly when they don't bash others...

It would seem to June that if one was secure in their own particular belief system, that that would suffice.

In peaceful acceptance.

Take gentle care.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Good evening, everyone...

Please bear in mind that it is one thing to uphold one's denominational or religious belief, but it is something else, altogether, to disrespectfully attack others.

Any further rude or attacking posts will be deleted, and infracted. Please refer to the Terms of Service along with the Sticky at the top of this forum.

~Hope all understand.

Thanks,
-June

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 PM

16 posts, read 23,889 times
I believe someone earlier made this comment, however I would like to second it. I think that this post is now moot and no longer needs any further comment. I thank everyone involved for their opinions whether they oppose mine or are of similar variety. The answers have opened my mind about a great many things, and reaffirmed my beliefs about others. I sincerely hope you all reach the paradise you believe in.

Many Blessings and Peace--

Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light1111 View Post
I can speak to the Hindu portion of the OP's original question.

I once visited a Hindu temple and spent several hours conversing with one of the priests, who was happy to answer my many questions.

According to him:
The Hindu faith celebrates, prays to, does devotion to, and loves and respects many Gods who go by many different names. But they are not a polytheistic faith. All of those "mini-gods" are there simply because man cannot be expected to comprehend God, who is vast, grand, eternal, omniscient, omnipotent, etc. So if a Hindu has a financial concern . . .he prays to the god who has to do with material well-being. A health concern . . he prays to the god who has to do with physical health (I believe there are even gods for such specific concerns as "skin," "eyes," "heart," etc.). If he wishes to grow in faith and diminish in ego, in jealousy, in cruelty to others, he would pray to another set of gods. But each Hindu knows, understands and acknowledges that each of these "mini-gods" are simply representative aspects of one God, and that one God is all living and non-living things in this universe.

He also said that the Hindu's "One God" (whom they call Brahmin - sp?) is the "same God" as the Judeo-Christian God . . indeed the same God as found in all religions (according to the priest).

He also said that Hindus do not believe their faith is the only path to God, and they do not encourage anyone to convert to Hinduism -- there is no need. They are happy to know that so many people of faith practice other religions, and that is in keeping with God's plan in their opinion.

He said "There is no need for conversion. You can believe as we believe if you wish, and yet remain in your own religion. One can be a Jewish Hindu, a Christian Hindu, a Hindu Hindu. If you wished to convert to Hindu I should warn you it offers nothing your current religion does not already offer."

Finally, another thing I found interesting in speaking with this priest is that he said that their "Jesus" was Krishna. Krishna is an historic person just like Jesus Christ, Abraham, Mohammed, etc.; he is an actual man who truly walked the earth. According to Hindu believe, Krishna is "the same man" as Jesus, and Hindus also believe that this "man" (who is actually God in human form, temporarily sent to visit us humans) has come to the earth many hundreds of times over hundreds of thousands of years. They believe that this man, who sometimes is called Krishna, other times Jesus, or Imhotep, or Siddhartha, are all one person, and really, this is just an opportunity God took to live with and dwell amongst men, to direct them towards a path that leads to God, through light and love and fellowship with one's brothers and sisters.

That's about the extent of my knowledge of the Hindu religion. I'll remember that kind priest in my heart always. He touched me deeply and I was so grateful he took the time to sit with me and answer my questions. I do believe it's a beautiful religion and one filled with light and mystery.

Peace to you!
I respect that the OP wishes to close this thread. But I really wanted to thank you for this post. I find it very intriguing and informative ~ learned a lot (as well as Buddhism). You probably did a better job of explaining it than a book!

Unlike a lot of other Christians, I'm not afraid to be curious, even accepting, of other's beliefs. I agree with the poster who observed that t here is some common ground here 'n' there between all the religions mentioned in this thread.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 PM

16 posts, read 23,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I respect that the OP wishes to close this thread. But I really wanted to thank you for this post. I find it very intriguing and informative ~ learned a lot (as well as Buddhism). You probably did a better job of explaining it than a book!

Unlike a lot of other Christians, I'm not afraid to be curious, even accepting, of other's beliefs. I agree with the poster who observed that t here is some common ground here 'n' there between all the religions mentioned in this thread.

Thanks!
I am happy that you learned so much (: And if you or anyone has any further questions about Buddhism I would be happy to answer them for you.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,764,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Please explain how Siddhartha Gautama buddha could have believed in Christ before he died when he lived 5 centuries before Christ was ever even born?

Or anyone who was born before Christ was born for that matter?

Peace ...

Last edited by june 7th; 09-28-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,281,260 times
I don't know much about Buddhism but I believe it's real. I just would not follow it. I don't believe praying to statues or feeding them is a good thing. Different religion. Different strokes. Just doesn't belong in the West. That's all.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:29 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I don't know much about Buddhism but I believe it's real. I just would not follow it. I don't believe praying to statues or feeding them is a good thing. Different religion. Different strokes. Just doesn't belong in the West. That's all.
That's not Buddhism. what you describe is closer to Christianity. Buddhists don't worship any 'God' at all. They believe gods probably exist (they're called celestials) but they even THEY are trapped in the cycle of reincarnation. Buddhism has to do with HUMAN EFFORT in attaining a state of transcendence. At which time the cycle of reincarnation will end. It's about overcoming suffering and evil. Buddhists do not 'feed things' to statues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity