Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 10:30 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Food for thought. And a correction. We have over 6 billion people,
Firstly,

Most people alive on the planet today are in the FIRST incarnations. New souls are created by the Source (God). Also, souls reincarnate on various planets and in various universes. If on one planet the population goes up than the number of souls SENT to that planet goes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Geez, people! Why all the hate? If you don't like Buddhism - don't become a Buddhist! Personally, I like Buddhism. However, I really don't see myself subscribing to any religion. But I like a lot of things about Buddhism. Even if I didn't - I wouldn't try to disprove it, negate it, or take it away from those that believe in it. I also don't try to do that with Christianity. Why is it okay to treat other religions the way that Christians don't want Christianity treated? Why don't we all try to remember the Golden Rule.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Food for thought. And a correction: We have over 6 billion people,

Maybe only Buddhist and Hindus go thru reincarnation?
I believe that reincarnation is a fairly small part of the population equation, with new "spirits" incarnating at a greater rate. That's because I believe in reincarnation as an option to us based on Free Will, and I think God gives us more than one opportunity to better ourselves.

Personally, I don't want to come back! But, while I think I live pretty "straight", I'm not a particularly compassionate, or the most charitable, person around. More lessons could be learned.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Firstly,

Most people alive on the planet today are in the FIRST incarnations. New souls are created by the Source (God). Also, souls reincarnate on various planets and in various universes. If on one planet the population goes up than the number of souls SENT to that planet goes up.
So there is a Source? I thought Budhism had no God according to the early video. So was the video incorrect?

Old 09-28-2010, 01:56 PM

16 posts, read 23,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Silly for you. Kumbaya ma lord, Kumbaya...... Okay, now that I have that over with...

There was one statement of Budhism made on EWTN/The Journey Home video that appears to render Budhism false unless there's a Budhist belief that I am not familiar with or it has not been discussed. It's the one statement that says that your prior reincarnations go back infinite times. Just using the following population chart since 1800 is sufficient:
File:World-Population-1800-2100.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there were a billion people alive in 1800, then how can those billion people get reincarnated into 5 billiion+ people of today. Do souls get created along the way. Is there a soul cache somewhere? Do souls get divided? I didn't hear anything to that effect, but the math doesn't bode well for infinite backwards soul reincarnation.

Will a Budhist please explain.
I am happy to explain. Reincarnation does not have to be strictly human. One can be reincarnated as an animal, a god, etc. So the existance of more human population does not discredit the theory of reincarnation. (:

Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,573,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Geez, people! Why all the hate? If you don't like Buddhism - don't become a Buddhist! Personally, I like Buddhism. However, I really don't see myself subscribing to any religion. But I like a lot of things about Buddhism. Even if I didn't - I wouldn't try to disprove it, negate it, or take it away from those that believe in it. I also don't try to do that with Christianity. Why is it okay to treat other religions the way that Christians don't want Christianity treated? Why don't we all try to remember the Golden Rule.
Hit the right cord again Dewdrop.........

Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Quote:
If Christ met Buddha perhaps they would've been friends. Perhaps Buddha would have been Christ's mentor.
Actually, if Christ returned today I think he and the Dalai Lama would become great friends. They would break bread together and share each other's thoughts and missions, and shake heads together over the sorry state of the world we made of it.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
So there is a Source? I thought Budhism had no God according to the early video. So was the video incorrect?
My beliefs are a mixture of Buddhism and of New Age spirituality. People who have come back from death and have had NDE's have given us much knowledge of the nature of reincarnation and karma. Also, many people have been regressed not only to past lives but to the place that you go to in between (the spirit world) and in these states of consciousness have been allowed to remember certain aspects of the spirit world. All of these people have said similar things to what people have said who have survived death. Yes, I believe there is a source. Though it would be hard to call this source God because human ideas of God are too anthropomorphic (human centered). The source does NOT share human characteristics in the way that the Gods of religions do.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:17 PM

16 posts, read 23,889 times
Quote:
My beliefs are a mixture of Buddhism and of New Age spirituality. People who have come back from death and have had NDE's have given us much knowledge of the nature of reincarnation and karma. Also, many people have been regressed not only to past lives but to the place that you go to in between (the spirit world) and in these states of consciousness have been allowed to remember certain aspects of the spirit world. All of these people have said similar things to what people have said who have survived death. Yes, I believe there is a source. Though it would be hard to call this source God because human ideas of God are too anthropomorphic (human centered). The source does NOT share human characteristics in the way that the Gods of religions do.
Allow me to clarify that although rlarson21 says that he includes Buddhism in his religious beliefs. Some of the things in this post are not of Buddhist origin. Just to make sure people know which is which (; Buddhists such as myself believe that 'souls' have no beginning and they never end. Much as the world had no beginning and will never end. However, if one reaches enlightenment, his/her 'soul' is no longer subject to reincarnation and therefore goes to nirvana. -Many Blessings-

Old 09-28-2010, 08:19 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmiller2 View Post
I am happy to explain. Reincarnation does not have to be strictly human. One can be reincarnated as an animal, a god, etc. So the existance of more human population does not discredit the theory of reincarnation. (:
Speaking as an EX-atheistic Buddhist of 18+ years:

The belief is that when a man dies, he is automatically born again, or appears in a new shape, consistent with the merit or lack thereof that he achieved in his life. These forms range from the most despicable inanimate object to being a veritable god. He could be born in any of 136 hells in the interior of the earth, or in a happy position on earth, or as a spirit in one of many heavens. There is never any end to these rebirths because no matter what form you end up in, it has a limited life span, though it may be billions of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity