Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
That's not Buddhism. what you describe is closer to Christianity. Buddhists don't worship any 'God' at all. They believe gods probably exist (they're called celestials) but they even THEY are trapped in the cycle of reincarnation. Buddhism has to do with HUMAN EFFORT in attaining a state of transcendence. At which time the cycle of reincarnation will end. It's about overcoming suffering and evil. Buddhists do not 'feed things' to statues.
Well then who is BUDDHA and why are there statues of him/it, all over Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 02:11 AM

16 posts, read 23,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Well then who is BUDDHA and why are there statues of him/it, all over Asia?
Buddha was a historical person who was born in Nepal and acheived enlightenment. He is a sort of role-model if you will for the human race. There are statues of Him throughout asia because He is revered and honored. When someone visits the statues they pay homage to Him and offer prayers.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,217,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Salvation has always been through faith in the promised Messiah. Immediately after Adam sinned, God gave him the Gospel message. In Genesis 3:15 God told Satan that when the Messiah (Jesus) came in the future (relative to their time) that He would bruise the head of Satan (a reference to Jesus' strategic victory over Satan). All of the animal sacrifices performed before Christ came into the world pointed toward Him.

The word of God declares that salvation is through faith in Christ alone.
This is strictly a Christian viewpoint. The Hebrew bible has a completely different viewpoint of who and what the Messiah is supposed to be and what he is supposed to accomplish in his lifetime....Jesus didn't qualify in the first century and he doesn't qualify now...that is why the Jews reject him to this day. The Hebrew bible specifically states, in many areas, that the only thing one need do for salvation is return to God....END OF STORY.

Christianity/Paulianity is a NEW religion...that is a fact that cannot be denied no matter how you mangle the Hebrew bible to fit the Christian agenda. Christianity has also syncretistically espoused many concepts of Buddhism and reworked them to make them their own the same way Christianity also syncretistically espoused many concepts of Paganism....it's happened throughout the centuries and I'm sure it will continue to happen until we all become fully enlightened.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 09-28-2010 at 06:12 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,217,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June has always wondered what's the deal with bashing another's religious belief, particularly when they don't bash others...

It would seem to June that if one was secure in their own particular belief system, that that would suffice.

In peaceful acceptance.

Take gentle care.
I agree....it's a shame that there are those who feel they have to continually condemn and damn others for their different beliefs. I have found, in my studies, that ALL religions/beliefs are syncretistically similar...they ALL contain bits and pieces from other religions...so to condemn one over the other is really silly.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:16 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,282,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmiller2 View Post
Buddha was a historical person who was born in Nepal and acheived enlightenment. He is a sort of role-model if you will for the human race. There are statues of Him throughout asia because He is revered and honored. When someone visits the statues they pay homage to Him and offer prayers.
That's right. So rlarson, is just picking a fight. If he doesn't like what he sees then he should just work on his own demons. Maybe move to Asia or something where people feel as strongly as he does about BUDDHA.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,310,215 times
People don't worship "statues". Even a moron knows that a piece of plaster offers nothing. They are merely something tangible for people to relate to in their prayers, in this case images of the saints as they looked in their time here as mortals. The cross/crucifix fits the same scenario.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with statues. I've got a Christ statue, a couple of crosses on walls, and various Buddha statues and figurines in my house. I'm just a "tangible" type of person. And while most of my praying is not done kneeling in front of one, I like looking at them.

People make too big a deal of it.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,634,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
I agree....it's a shame that there are those who feel they have to continually condemn and damn others for their different beliefs. I have found, in my studies, that ALL religions/beliefs are syncretistically similar...they ALL contain bits and pieces from other religions...so to condemn one over the other is really silly.
Silly for you. Kumbaya ma lord, Kumbaya...... Okay, now that I have that over with...

There was one statement of Budhism made on EWTN/The Journey Home video that appears to render Budhism false unless there's a Budhist belief that I am not familiar with or it has not been discussed. It's the one statement that says that your prior reincarnations go back infinite times. Just using the following population chart since 1800 is sufficient:
File:World-Population-1800-2100.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there were a billion people alive in 1800, then how can those billion people get reincarnated into 5 billiion+ people of today. Do souls get created along the way. Is there a soul cache somewhere? Do souls get divided? I didn't hear anything to that effect, but the math doesn't bode well for infinite backwards soul reincarnation.

Will a Budhist please explain.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 AM

138 posts, read 181,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmiller2 View Post
I am happy that you learned so much (: And if you or anyone has any further questions about Buddhism I would be happy to answer them for you.

Thank you for starting this thought-provoking topic and to all who responded with their views.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
If there were a billion people alive in 1800, then how can those billion people get reincarnated into 5 billiion+ people of today. Do souls get created along the way. Is there a soul cache somewhere? Do souls get divided? I didn't hear anything to that effect, but the math doesn't bode well for infinite backwards soul reincarnation.

Will a Budhist please explain.
Food for thought. And a correction: We have over 6 billion people,

Maybe only Buddhist and Hindus go thru reincarnation?

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-28-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 10:29 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,576,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
That's right. So rlarson, is just picking a fight. If he doesn't like what he sees then he should just work on his own demons. Maybe move to Asia or something where people feel as strongly as he does about BUDDHA.
The post PROVED my point. People don't 'worship' Buddha, they REVERE him, similar to how we revere the founding fathers. similar to how many Christians revere Mary or Saints. The Buddha is NOT considered to be a 'god'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity