Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Don't do that, you will get a headache...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Don't do that, you will get a headache...

I've done it so often, I'm quite numb.

Richard, what is love??

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I've done it so often, I'm quite numb.

Richard, what is love??
What are the attributes of God...and if you have studied the OT as you say, then all this would be moot for you...but, it is obvious that you exaggerate...

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
What are the attributes of God...and if you have studied the OT as you say, then all this would be moot for you...but, it is obvious that you exaggerate...

When David talked about smashing babies against rocks, what spirit was he using?

Jesus said, "You have heard it said an eye for an eye, BUT I SAY, NO! Love your enemies? Why do you think he said that?

Read the Bible with your "Fruits of the Spirit" glasses on, and then let me know what parts are of God and which aren't.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM

701 posts, read 800,783 times
Quote:
When your mind is conformed to that of God's, you will understand...
Quote:
See, Mike...This is what happens when Christians read mostly the New Testament and very little of the Old Testament...they get very unbalanced ideas of God's attributes...
I grew up on the whole Bible not just the New Testament, and the whole notion of eternal torment simply destroys god's image in so many ways, as does the notion of Universal Reconciliation. One portrays God as unmerciful and the other portrays God as one who could care less about your free will. Eternal destruction shows mercy in allowing eternal rest, while also respecting a person's freedom to reject God.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
I grew up on the whole Bible not just the New Testament, and the whole notion of eternal torment simply destroys god's image in so many ways, as does the notion of Universal Reconciliation. One portrays God as unmerciful and the other portrays God as one who could care less about your free will. Eternal destruction shows mercy in allowing eternal rest, while also respecting a person's freedom to reject God.

Ah, now I understand. You believe in conditional immortality. At least you are more merciful than many others. But, still, I have to say, the doctrine of annihilation really doesn't hold up in scripture.

Eternal Death (Conditional Mortality, Annihilation): One Step Out of Hell; One Step Short of Glory

Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Read Revelation 20 Mike and you will see that the lake of fire is actually created by fire from Heaven. Where does that fire fall to create the lake? Earth. So where is the Lake of Fire? Earth. Now continue on to Revelation 21, and you will notice that God will then make a new Earth and the old one will pass away. So, if God is going to create a new Earth and the Old one will be no more, wouldn't that indicate that the Lake of Fire would be no more as well?

Maybe you can tell me Mike, as someone who believes in eternal torment, how can this universe ever know peace and tranquility if somewhere there will exist beings in perpetual torment? How can that possibly mesh with there being no more pain, suffering, or tears? And how does it paint a picture of a loving God?
To the contrary. The fire which comes down from out of heaven in Revelation 20:9 at the end of the Millennium does not create the lake of fire. As per Revelation 19:20, the beast and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire at the beginning of the Millennium, a thousand years prior to the Gog and Magog revolution which is mentioned in Revelation 20:7-9 in which the rebels are destroyed by fire from heaven in much the same manner as Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by fire from heaven.

Although Hades is in the bowels of the earth, the location of the lake of fire is not given.

Those who have believed in Christ will in eternity have no more pain, sorrow, suffering, or tears. For those members of the human race who died having rejected Christ as Savior, it will be a different story. Theirs will be an eternal future of torment, suffering, hopelessness, ruin and uselessness, separated from God who had offered them eternal salvation. God has promised that both situations will be true, and that guarantees the truthfulness of the matter.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To the contrary. The fire which comes down from out of heaven in Revelation 20:9 at the end of the Millennium does not create the lake of fire. As per Revelation 19:20, the beast and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire at the beginning of the Millennium, a thousand years prior to the Gog and Magog revolution which is mentioned in Revelation 20:7-9 in which the rebels are destroyed by fire from heaven in much the same manner as Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by fire from heaven.

Although Hades is in the bowels of the earth, the location of the lake of fire is not given.

Those who have believed in Christ will in eternity have no more pain, sorrow, suffering, or tears. For those members of the human race who died having rejected Christ as Savior, it will be a different story. Theirs will be an eternal future of torment, suffering, hopelessness, ruin and uselessness, separated from God who had offered them eternal salvation. God has promised that both situations will be true, and that guarantees the truthfulness of the matter.
Don't you know that saints shall judge the world? I Corinthians 6:2.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Jer my man, he is talking about the eternal life not the earthly...which is what that verse refers to...
Actually, the verse references that of a friend.

"You change your enemies, when you make them your friend for life."

Old 10-13-2010, 10:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Most of them did not actively reject Christ. I always hear how they 'rejected Christ' as if they spat on him when the majority simply failed to accept or didn't even know about Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity