Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:20 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post

Your talking about burning people alive like it is a good thing!
Would you mind showing me where I said it is agood thing? I never said it, I simply told you what happend to Sodom. It happened. Get used to it.

Let's stay honest here shall we, and not make false accusations. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 02:33 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,767,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Would you mind showing me where I said it is agood thing? I never said it, I simply told you what happend to Sodom. It happened. Get used to it.

Let's stay honest here shall we, and not make false accusations. Thanks

Fin ... Do you believe that the true and divine justice of God is Good?

Do you believe that the true divine justice of God is that most people who have ever lived will be burned in fire for ever?

1 + 1 = 2

Old 10-16-2010, 03:07 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Fin ... Do you believe that the true and divine justice of God is Good?

Do you believe that the true divine justice of God is that most people who have ever lived will be burned in fire for ever?
Let me try one more time: Would you mind showing me where I said it is a good thing?

Show me, or admit you made a false claim.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:42 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,030,708 times
There is nowhere in the Word of God that God is going to burn peoples flesh and soul, for these if lost were gone already..... People flesh is gone at there passing from this world and their soul died in the pit ... Only their spirit is left to be Judged at the final Judgement Of the Lord Jesus.......I would give scriptures but that would make no diffrence since thoses Words of God would be rejected........

Old 10-16-2010, 03:59 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,023,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
This has been posted many times, but's not simply about the act of human sacrifice, but the entire image of God that has been adopted by man.

Here's the question: Shall God Do That Which He Abhors?

Hear the law respecting...

Bondmen, (Deut. 15:12-15)

Strangers, (Exod. 22:21/ Lev. 19:33,34)

Debtors, (Deut. 15:1,2,9)

Widows & orphans, (Exo.22:22/ Deut. 24:17)

and the punishment of the wicked, which may not exceed forty stripes,

"lest if it exceed, then thy brother should seem vile unto thee; (Deut. 25:2,3) yea even the law respecting "asses fallen into a pit:" (Ex. 21:33,34/ Deut.23: 4,5)

--hear the prophets exhorting to "break every yoke," to "let the oppressed go free," and to "undo the heavy burdens:" (Isa. 58:6)

--hear the still clearer witness of the gospel, "not to let the sun go down upon our wrath," (Eph. 4:26) to "forgive not until seven times, but until seventy times seven," (Matt. 18:22) "not to be overcome of evil, but to overcome evil with good:" (Rom. 12:21) to "walk in love as Christ has loved us," and to be imitators of God as dear children:" (Eph. 5:1,2)

--see the judgment of those who neglect the poor, and the naked, and the hungry, and the stranger, and the prisoner: (Matt.25:41-43)--and then say,

Shall God do that which He abhors? Shall He command that bondmen and debtors be freed, and yet Himself keep those who are in worse bondage and under a greater debt in endless imprisonment? Shall He bid us care for widows and orphans, and Himself forget this widowed nature, which has lost its Head and Lord, and those poor orphan souls which cannot cry, Abba, Father? Shall He limit punishment to forty strips, "lest thy brother seem vile," and Himself inflict more upon those who though fallen still are His children.? Is not Christ the faithful Israelite, who fulfills the law; and shall He break it in any one of these particulars?

Shall He say, "Forgive till seventy times seven," and Himself not forgive except in this short life? Shall He command us to "overcome evil with good," and Himself, the Almighty, be overcome of evil?

Shall He judge those who leave the captives unvisited, and Himself leave captives in a worse prison for ever unvisited? Does He not again and again appeal to our own natural feelings of mercy, as witnessing "how much more" we may expect a larger mercy from our "Father which is in heaven"? (Matt. 7:6-11 If it were otherwise, might not the adversary reproach, and say, Thou that teachest and judgest another, teachest Thou not thyself? Not thus will God be justified. But, blessed be His Name, He shall in all be justified. and when in His day He opens "the treasures of the hail," (Job 38:22) and shows what sweet waters He can bring out of hard hailstones; when He unlocks "the place where light now dwells" shut up, and reveals what light is hid in darkness and hardness, as we see in coal and flint, those silent witnesses of the dark hard hearts, which God can turn to floods of light; when we have "taken darkness to the bound thereof," (Job 38:19,20) and have seen not only how "the earth is full of God's riches," but how He has laid up the depths in storehouses; (Psl. 104: 24...Psl. 33:7) in that day when "the mystery of God is finished," and He has destroyed them which corrupt the earth," (Rev. 11:18)--then shall it be seen how truly God's judgments are love, and that "in very faithfulness He hath afflicted us." (Psl. 119:75) -Pastor Andrew Jukes-

The Restitution of All Things
Amen, brother. Preach it! Keep on emptying hell Empty the insane asylums (people's minds) of the trash they have been fed.

Heartsong

Old 10-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Who burned Sodom and Gomorrah?

It never crossed his mind to command Israelites to perform human sacrifice. It has nothing do with God's own judgment.
That was the god named Jehovah or Yahweh as far as I can tell. There are conflicting voices in the scriptures. That would be a big problem and it would cause mass confusion as we can plainly see from the record of human history.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
First of all, whoever wrote the Psalms (Mike555 has so kindly let me know that some of the Psalms were not written by David) liked to talk about smashing babies against rocks. I'm here to say that Jesus would not have condoned this behavior. Jesus went about correcting people who wanted an eye for an eye. He basically says Moses got it all wrong. This should get you thinking, if you are the thinking type.

I've come to understand that many writings in the Old Testament are nothing other than pagan writings, by men who were trying to figure out who God was and what he wanted. Time and time again they are corrected in future writings. Who knows why Sodom and Gomorrah fried? Well, I guess science could answer that question for us. But, the people around them said it was God who destroyed that town, much like Pat Robertson decided Haiti was destroyed because of it's wickedness hundreds of years ago. Haiti was destroyed by an earthquake, and earthquakes happen to the good, bad and ugly. The earth moves around, the weather gets cranky, and fires happen.

If people hundreds of years from now pick up Pat Roberston's writings (God forbid) and they call themselves traditional Christians, they will believe Pat Robertson. They will say God destroyed Haiti in 2010 because Haiti was wicked. And people will smile.

Sigh.
Excellent point. Woe unto those who call evil good. They have gone mad.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:07 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,197,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Amen, brother. Preach it! Keep on emptying hell Empty the insane asylums (people's minds) of the trash they have been fed.

Heartsong
I never thought of our minds as insane asylums, but I guess a lot of us are imprisoned there.

I'm always thinking of those thousands of people locked up in mental institutions; unloved, unlovable, mad with fear, guilt, anger, and torment. I wish so badly for their minds to be freed. But, I guess there are a lot of people on the "outside" who are just as tormented, only they keep the mask on better so noone will see the truth.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,384,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Shall God do that which He abhors? Shall He command that bondmen and debtors be freed, and yet Himself keep those who are in worse bondage and under a greater debt in endless imprisonment?

Shall He say, "Forgive till seventy times seven," and Himself not forgive except in this short life? Shall He command us to "overcome evil with good," and Himself, the Almighty, be overcome of evil?
Man made Religion is an immortal blemish of mankind, self-perpetuating from extinction through a system of indoctrinations which are taught by those who have accommodated themselves within a regime of thought laid down by their predecessors. The individual who is more robust than most will be encouraged by the SPIRIT to leave these organized establishments of thought, least they make a covenant or mutual agreement with the inhabitants of the land; whose love for others and for truth has grown cold in their Eternal Damnation's or insistence upon the Annihilation of all things, including people, with the exception of themselves. Arrogance invites ruin, but humility receives benefits. Jesus said, "Follow Me." He did not say to chase after the doctrines of men, and their demons. Rather, it is the SPIRIT who is the true and living teacher, which is contrary to popular opinion but fear not, for every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess to the Glory of the Father, even if it is in humility; an avenue to glory. Who or what is His glorified body? WE ARE HIS GLORIFIED BODY, the temple of the SPIRIT! Christ will bathe the depths of humanity in the brightness of His Presence and all ADVERSITY will fall from power. Because one is not consciously aware of this, does not mean it is excluded.

"There is no forgiveness without love, and no love without forgiveness; for what power has love, but forgiveness."

Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,949,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
First of all, whoever wrote the Psalms (Mike555 has so kindly let me know that some of the Psalms were not written by David) liked to talk about smashing babies against rocks. I'm here to say that Jesus would not have condoned this behavior. Jesus went about correcting people who wanted an eye for an eye. He basically says Moses got it all wrong. This should get you thinking, if you are the thinking type.

I've come to understand that many writings in the Old Testament are nothing other than pagan writings, by men who were trying to figure out who God was and what he wanted. Time and time again they are corrected in future writings. Who knows why Sodom and Gomorrah fried? Well, I guess science could answer that question for us. But, the people around them said it was God who destroyed that town, much like Pat Robertson decided Haiti was destroyed because of it's wickedness hundreds of years ago. Haiti was destroyed by an earthquake, and earthquakes happen to the good, bad and ugly. The earth moves around, the weather gets cranky, and fires happen.

If people hundreds of years from now pick up Pat Roberston's writings (God forbid) and they call themselves traditional Christians, they will believe Pat Robertson. They will say God destroyed Haiti in 2010 because Haiti was wicked. And people will smile.

Sigh.
The Holy Bible is a complete and accurate book. Denying parts of scripture, like the account of Sodom and Gomorrah being overthrown with fire and brimstone, is a clear indication of heresy -- and heresy is a work of the flesh; those who engage in it will not inherit the kingdom of God. It is written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity